Poll

Would you be in favor of a remastering?

Yes
No
Maybe

Author Topic: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: 10th Anniversary Remaster?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
Re: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: 10th Anniversary Remaster?
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2017, 03:08:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
HTDAAB is not their best, but it surely is better than most of their albums from the 80's. It has great singles, a great anthemic song and nice ballads/mid-tempo songs. It also has some of their worst songs, but so do War, October and R&H.

no. god no. October is worse but not War or R&H thats absurd.
Well, on War, everything on side 2 is forgettable except 40. On R&H, there are some boring songs like Love Rescue Me, WLCTT, GP2, S&G and the list goes on. This album is a mess and it's only saved by 3-4 songs like AIWIY.

I mean, I guess it really depends on what style of music you enjoy most. Personally, I don't like some of U2's earliest work nearly as much as their work from '87-00s. However, I think War is a gem with iconic songs like SBS and NYD, good songs like Like A Song, Seconds, Two Hearts, Drowning Man and 40. I think it's a very strong album as a whole. Boy shows their potential and TJT is where they really took it to the next level. October...well, despite being born in October, you know how I feel about that album.  ;)

As far as R&H is concerned, it's a bit of a hit and miss album. Some great tracks on there and some not so good tracks. I think as a whole I prefer HTDAAB, but again that's down to personal preference.

of course. the problem is they didn't bother to make an album out of it and just went with the "scrapbook" or whatever they called it approach.

nothing on friggin bomb is close to AIWIY, Heartland, AOH, Desire....
Well, I'll say it, I'd take Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, COBL and OOTS before those 4.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
ya i assumed.

Offline aviastar

• Stateless
  • Cleared to flight level 340
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2017, 05:15:26 PM »
I think that HTDAAB is definitely flawed, but it still has some great tunes. The Vertigo tour was awesome, especially with COBL as an opener (Vertigo was awkward as an opener). Seeing live footage from that tour is what made me a fan.

how so?

Yeah, I'm interested to know how it was awkward. It seems like it would work great as an opener.

Vertigo was indeed the perfect opener (and closer). I would have been dismayed if they opened with COBL instead of saving that for later.

I also don't get the lyrics..."a little place called vertigo"...what does he mean by this?  Vertigo isn't a place per se, it's a feeling.

It's "I'm at a place called Vertigo". Bono has described the place as an imaginary nightclub, but it's also not unusual for feelings to be metaphorically described as places ("in a happy place" / "not in a good place right now").

I see, I guess if you are referring to "I'm in a happy place"...but I have not heard "I'm in a vertigo place" or the more even awkward "I'm in a place called happy / I'm in a place called vertigo".  Vertigo is essentially unsteadiness, dizziness...it would be more common to say "I'm in a dizzy place right now".  There is something about the line that doesn't seem to work.

I suppose it makes more sense if Vertigo is the proper name of a place (i.e. a club), but the metaphor doesn't seem to extend to a description of feeling.  So why use Vertigo at all?    Also, what is the meaning of the song?  I read the lyric sheet and it seems no better than a Katy Perry song??  It doesn't seem like there's a lot to work with and on top of it, the song doesn't go very many places musically.

To each his own, I suppose but I just have never understood the appeal of this song.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:21:30 PM by aviastar »

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2017, 05:20:33 PM »
you ever had a panic attack or felt claustrophobic? vertigo is a great way to describe the sensation. trust me.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »
My manager has had vertigo before and she said it's a disorienting, frightening experience. I'd say the lyrics are pretty accurate in that department.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »
I think that COBL was a beautiful opener. Granted, it wouldn't have worked in outdoor shows when the sun was still up, but just from watching the Chicago DVD and other clips online, it was a great opener. It had that Streets-type feel to it. Bono just appearing out of nowhere in the middle of the crowd? Awesome!

Opening with Vertigo, on the other hand, was awkward with the band just walking out on stage without a real introduction. It worked on Elevation with the remix playing over the PA, but not so much here. I liked it as the second song in the set.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2017, 12:31:37 AM »
As far as R&H is concerned, it's a bit of a hit and miss album. Some great tracks on there and some not so good tracks.
To be fair, its not even a proper U2 album, it is, more accurately, a soundtrack to their film. Rattle and Hum is usually called "U2's 6th studio album" by magazines, but that's not the case, especially since a lot of the album is live tracks from The Joshua Tree tour.

Now, as for whether there should be a 10th anniversary remaster of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, Rattle and Hum deserves a remaster (film AND soundtrack) before any other U2 catalog project. It's been ignored for far too long. And supposedly, the film rights reverted back to the band some time ago without any notice. I'd be looking forward to a remastered film on Blu-ray. The out-of-print BD featured an ugly transfer, courtesy of Paramount Pictures, and nothing in terms of special features except a trailer. The film needs to be cleaned up BADLY.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »
i upgraded my dvd to the bluray and nearly through the bluray out the window it was such a worthless "upgrade".
glad to hear its out of print.

Offline fez333

• Babyface
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2017, 01:13:50 PM »
I don't think it is a bad album, I don't think U2 have ever put out a bad album, just it was commercially over done for me.  I do, like a lot of the songs on the album.  Blinding lights.  Sometimes. Man and a woman, love and peace.  Yehweh. A remaster would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »
As far as R&H is concerned, it's a bit of a hit and miss album. Some great tracks on there and some not so good tracks.
To be fair, its not even a proper U2 album, it is, more accurately, a soundtrack to their film. Rattle and Hum is usually called "U2's 6th studio album" by magazines, but that's not the case, especially since a lot of the album is live tracks from The Joshua Tree tour.

Now, as for whether there should be a 10th anniversary remaster of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, Rattle and Hum deserves a remaster (film AND soundtrack) before any other U2 catalog project. It's been ignored for far too long. And supposedly, the film rights reverted back to the band some time ago without any notice. I'd be looking forward to a remastered film on Blu-ray. The out-of-print BD featured an ugly transfer, courtesy of Paramount Pictures, and nothing in terms of special features except a trailer. The film needs to be cleaned up BADLY.

Yeah, I really don't consider R&H to be one of U2's studio albums, just as I don't count the Best Ofs or U2 18 or whatever it was called.

I actually randomly decided to preorder the HTDAAB vinyl the other day. I don't own any of their albums on vinyl, can't find my original CD copy of HTDAAB, so why not get this one since it's only $25?

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
guys, theres like 9 new songs on it. it's an album mixed with live songs. yea i get they should have split it up disc 1 new album disc 2 JT tour but still. it's not a compilation at all.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »
guys, theres like 9 new songs on it. it's an album mixed with live songs. yea i get they should have split it up disc 1 new album disc 2 JT tour but still. it's not a compilation at all.

True, but again, with the way it was mixed, I still don't consider it a studio album. Studio album by my definition = studio recorded songs, no live songs. Live album = live songs. They would have been better off splitting it into two discs as you say.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »
i upgraded my dvd to the bluray and nearly through the bluray out the window it was such a worthless "upgrade".
glad to hear its out of print.

I have the Blu-Ray (as well as the DVD) and it's not a great upgrade, but it's not a pretty film anyways. It still could use better though.

On a side note, it's kind of funny how expensive the Blu-Ray is online since it's OOP, even though it is average.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2017, 09:58:31 PM »
yea i didn't really "get" the technical aspects of filming when i grabbed the bluray. i get it now but hell they really need to put out a big DE of it with all those youtube videos that got unearthed last year

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
all those youtube videos that got unearthed last year
Last year?????