Author Topic: Not to Early - General Admission Line SOP  (Read 7002 times)

Offline acrobatnation

• Wanderer
  • Shout for JOY if you get the chance
Not to Early - General Admission Line SOP
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
Ok,,, I looked and didn't see it here.  I've been to 51 U2 shows.  I have tickets for 6 of the SoI tour leg one.  All are GA... In the past, queing has been like a religious experience.  This time,,, I fear it may end up being like descending into HELL for a drink of milk.... Here is my concerns.  Maybe others can comment. 

* Arriving for day one.  Always show up early.  I always get lucky enough to find the "line Nazi" who puts my name down on the list and I occupy my space.  It always works pretty well, unless in a town where the police don't like que lines.  Last tour, some of the shows had some negative press with regards to the 'line Nazi'... It would be nice if it is communicated somehow where this person will be and how to officially get in the unofficial line.

* Going into the show, you are losing your spot in the line for the next show.  I've got tickets for all Chicago shows.  Coming out after the first show, it will be crazy trying to find the spot to line up... OH,,, and Chicago does NOT let you actively queue until the morning of the show.  So you can't "camp" out without playing a game of "avoid the police"... So trying to find the 'line Nazi' may be quite stressful...

* Two days off between shows... Not enough to go home to Michigan... Now what?  Que up that far in advance, in a city that doesn't allow active queing... Get a hotel?  I'd be wasting money worrying that I should be queing somewhere...

* Last show only has one date (where as others are pairs of dates)... I find this interesting and I would not be shocked to see a day added last minute.  So planning is rather difficult...

This is NOT just unique to Chicago... What is the plan for Queing?  If you are the elusive 'Line Nazi', speak up and let us common folk know what the plan is...

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Not to Early - General Admission Line SOP
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
Anytime I ever lined up early for GA I wasn't close enough to the beginning to be on some "line Nazi" list.  I don't have much faith in them anyway....I have more faith in a good numbering system (Boston) or a good arena/police/security presence. 

Still, I've been early enough to be in the "inside circle" on the Elevation, Vertigo, and 360 Tours.  Although access to the inside circle in Pittsburgh was because I volunteered for Amnesty International and spent the day collecting signatures and then AI led us all the way in as "payback" (still needed your own ticket).

I have GA for Chicago2, Toronto1, and NYC7 right now.  I really don't plan in queuing all that early.  For a couple reasons....

a.  Been there, done that.
b.  I believe on this tour, the stage is set-up in a way that at some point in the show, no matter where I end up on the GA floor, you will be in close proximity to the band and the views will be great.
c.  I love the atmosphere on the floor, the guarantee that those around me will be standing....but I've lost the need to be on the rail, right in front, to be sweated on by Bono.  It's still cool to be that close, see what others might miss, and have great picture opportunities (although that is a distraction as well).

So I think I will enjoy more time outside the arena, partying with other U2 fans in a nearby bar, and get there at a reasonable time.  I want to avoid these forums until Chicago but I would still like to know where along the long stage there might be a little more action.  I probably won't find out until Chicago, but then I'll know for Toronto and NYC.

So my advice....especially after 51 shows (wow....I'll hit 20 this tour) is try something different...relax, enjoy the city, have a nice meal, have a few drinks....don't put all this undo pressure on yourself....at least for a few of them.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anytime I ever lined up early for GA I wasn't close enough to the beginning to be on some "line Nazi" list.  I don't have much faith in them anyway....I have more faith in a good numbering system (Boston) or a good arena/police/security presence. 

Still, I've been early enough to be in the "inside circle" on the Elevation, Vertigo, and 360 Tours.  Although access to the inside circle in Pittsburgh was because I volunteered for Amnesty International and spent the day collecting signatures and then AI led us all the way in as "payback" (still needed your own ticket).

I have GA for Chicago2, Toronto1, and NYC7 right now.  I really don't plan in queuing all that early.  For a couple reasons....

a.  Been there, done that.
b.  I believe on this tour, the stage is set-up in a way that at some point in the show, no matter where I end up on the GA floor, you will be in close proximity to the band and the views will be great.
c.  I love the atmosphere on the floor, the guarantee that those around me will be standing....but I've lost the need to be on the rail, right in front, to be sweated on by Bono.  It's still cool to be that close, see what others might miss, and have great picture opportunities (although that is a distraction as well).

So I think I will enjoy more time outside the arena, partying with other U2 fans in a nearby bar, and get there at a reasonable time.  I want to avoid these forums until Chicago but I would still like to know where along the long stage there might be a little more action.  I probably won't find out until Chicago, but then I'll know for Toronto and NYC.

So my advice....especially after 51 shows (wow....I'll hit 20 this tour) is try something different...relax, enjoy the city, have a nice meal, have a few drinks....don't put all this undo pressure on yourself....at least for a few of them.

I just fainted! Feeling a bit better now. Thanks for your concern. ;)

Offline acrobatnation

• Wanderer
  • Shout for JOY if you get the chance
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:37:22 PM »
I saw my first U2 show in Sunrise Musical Theatre for the WAR tour.  I sat in the nosebleed section... I graduated to a closer seat for the Unforgettable Fire tour but still nothing like being up close.  I've had seats for about 20 U2 shows.  It is great to not have the "pressure" you refer to when going to the show.  What you gain by having the ability to "chill" and "relax" you give up in other ways.  I agree with you that GA is the ONLY way to see U2.  But the queing experience is like nothing else.  Getting in line to "camp out" (at venues that still let you) with fellow U2 fans is part of the overall event.  I've met some incredible people whom I have stayed friends with years after the shows.

There is no way to describe being in the GA area in NYC after 9/11, with FDNY on the stage... Every U2 show seems to offer different pinnacle moments just like that... Seeing 'Unknown Caller' before it was pulled from the set list.  You get it...  Preaching to the choir... I don't need Bono's sweat on me but to be in a sea of U2 fans who are all there for the single purpose is religious.  And close is never close enough to the action.  I can hang in a bar with fans after the Circus has left town. 

Enjoy your shows!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:07:21 PM by acrobatnation »

Offline ozmodiar

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:05:41 PM »

* Going into the show, you are losing your spot in the line for the next show.  I've got tickets for all Chicago shows.  Coming out after the first show, it will be crazy trying to find the spot to line up... OH,,, and Chicago does NOT let you actively queue until the morning of the show.  So you can't "camp" out without playing a game of "avoid the police"... So trying to find the 'line Nazi' may be quite stressful...

* Two days off between shows... Not enough to go home to Michigan... Now what?  Que up that far in advance, in a city that doesn't allow active queing... Get a hotel?  I'd be wasting money worrying that I should be queing somewhere...

* Last show only has one date (where as others are pairs of dates)... I find this interesting and I would not be shocked to see a day added last minute.  So planning is rather difficult...

The GA line will be where it always is at the United Center, the same as the Elevation and Vertigo tours. There was plenty of camping out there. I don't think they'll change it since the line is technically not on their property and it seems to work for them.

I'm not sure I will do the long camp out this tour. It seems like with this stage configuration, you can show up shortly before the doors open and still get quite close to the catwalk. Even if you arrive late and hang at the back, you won't be all that far from the stage.

It may already be too late, but one thing I'd advise is to reserve a hotel room somewhere asap if you are going to the later Chicago shows, especially July 2. The Grateful Dead reunion is July 3-5, and I read an article several weeks ago that tickets are going for thousands of $ and there are almost no hotel rooms available in Chicago then. This is in a city that regularly hosts conventions with 70,000+ attendees and Lollapalooza with a capacity of 100,000 people per day so the demand must be ridiculous.

Offline halv

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:01 PM »

I'm not sure I will do the long camp out this tour. It seems like with this stage configuration, you can show up shortly before the doors open and still get quite close to the catwalk. Even if you arrive late and hang at the back, you won't be all that far from the stage.

You're right about this. Metallica had a very similar stage years back and people who arrived just before show time were at most 4 or 5 people back from the stage. No need to be in line all day if you don't want to.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 04:25:02 AM »
In the Netherlands mostly it has been easy going. But it's hell when the gates open !! If you game around 10 in the morning you could get a good spot for GA. Things have changed. Last tour we were there at 6 in the morning. We have some great fans who care and they bring markers and write your number down on you and on a list. They also act as a sort of fans-security. It works pretty well. From that point on the waiting starts...............

On the Elevation tour we were there at the Arnhem Gelre Dome and we wanted to sit down. We weren't even on our butts and some security quard game and said we could enter before the rest of the crowd. It was good !! They put some gates between a smal group of 80 and the rest. My friend was glad i said we had to take a look at the other gate to see if there was less of a crowd and it was. We had a super good time that evening.............

This time no stairs, it's going to happen !!

Good luck everyone !!

8)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »
I actually perfer reserved seating on the floor.  Right now I'm paying $300 for a seat in the stands when  I would be happier for a reserved seat on the floor close to the stage for that price.  I loved the tours pre-Elevation as they all had reserved seating on the floors and I was always in the first 10 rows of the stage.  This will now be U2's 4th tour in which they have GA at least in North America.  Please give us middle aged folks a break and for at least on the next tour and go back to reserved seating on the floor.  It would be nice to know you can walk in at any time and get you seat close to the stage like back in the day and not worry about lining up outside for the whole day(which is exhausting), never mind if you have to go to the washroom.  If you want to make seats cheap for the fans, you can make more seats at a lower price in the upper decks. It time to have some consideration for us oldies!!

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 06:16:03 AM »
I actually perfer reserved seating on the floor.  Right now I'm paying $300 for a seat in the stands when  I would be happier for a reserved seat on the floor close to the stage for that price.  I loved the tours pre-Elevation as they all had reserved seating on the floors and I was always in the first 10 rows of the stage.  This will now be U2's 4th tour in which they have GA at least in North America.  Please give us middle aged folks a break and for at least on the next tour and go back to reserved seating on the floor.  It would be nice to know you can walk in at any time and get you seat close to the stage like back in the day and not worry about lining up outside for the whole day(which is exhausting), never mind if you have to go to the washroom.  If you want to make seats cheap for the fans, you can make more seats at a lower price in the upper decks. It time to have some consideration for us oldies!!

I like the energy of the GA and I like standing for a rock and roll show (which isn't always guaranteed when seats are there....although floor seats rarely are used).  But what you say does make some sense as far as being able to arrive anytime and be sure to get back to a spot when you have to use the bathroom or get a drink.  Maybe there is a compromise....maybe create smaller GA sections on the floor.   GA1, GA2, GA3 would be left-front, center-front, right-front and GA4, GA5, GA6 would be in the middle, etc.   You would need some sort of checkpoint for each one, so I'm not sure if this would work logistically but I think I've seen some shows try something like this.

For the ZooTV tour I remember queuing for TICKETS on concrete, overnight in front of the box office for reserved seating on the floor.  I got 15th row, next to the B-stage.....it was awesome.  The morning of the sale, a group of about 20-30 thugs/scalpers tried to take over the front of the line but fortunately Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY) security knew who was in the front and allowed the first groups identify all those who should be removed before the box office opened.

Offline DanielCT

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 07:16:59 AM »
I have GA tickets for the 7/26, 7/30, and 7/31 shows in NYC. Seated tickets for the 7/27 show. I've done GA before, at the show in Saratoga in 1992 - it may as well be 100 years ago to me. At least one of the shows in NYC I'd like to be right up in the front, and I realize that will mean arriving super early and waiting in line. The last two I may just hang back and take the whole experience in. Here are my opinions on the GA lines -

1) Whatever the venue rules are for lining up for GA should apply to everyone. I think the sign up lists are good, we know about them, but I would say the bulk of people going to the shows do not.
2) If you want to be among the first people in line, you do your time in the line, with occasional bathroom/food/etc breaks.
3) No one is 'entitled' to be at the front. Whoever is there first and does their time should be up front, whether you're a die hard fan or a casual one.

As crazy as it may sound, as I am now middle aged and more than twice as old as when I last saw U2, I am planning my fitness regimen for these GA shows. I've begun working on my stamina by taking up running again and doing some light weights.

Most of all I want to have fun at the shows - hang out in the GA line with those of you who will be at the shows, chatting about U2 or whatever. Hopefully my opinions on the GA line do not bother anyone.

peterparker

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
Do these line nazis have anything to do with the band? Have they got authority to do this?

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »
I did the early line-up thing and got into the heart on Elevation. One of the best experiences of my life.

This time, however, I'll be getting to the show an hour before the opening act (if it is someone I like) and hanging in the back of the floor. If the stage layout is what I think it will be, this will be a great time to do just that.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »
I would hate for seats on the floor for U2. Coldplay did that and it's not the same

Like nazis are the worst. They're at every show and they will save spots for their friends who are at a show in a different city

I have seats for NYC 3 but GA for 4. I'll be in line all day. Hopefully I can get my number the night before (NYC3). I was in the 160s for Nashville and I got back rail of the pit in the exact center. Great view

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 12:14:14 PM »
Do these line nazis have anything to do with the band? Have they got authority to do this?

Nope, they are just a group of fans from another site who seem to think they rule the U2 GA line world.  I've never understood why everyone just lets them get away with this.  If I ever had GA and stood in line all day only to be pushed out by one of them, I'd kick their butts.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »
With regards to these line organisers...if people dislike it so much and as seems clear they take the pi*s holding spots for their pals who aren't even their etc.

Why do people accept it?

Why take a number that does not fairly and accurately reflect your position?

If people refused to play their game they couldn't rule the roost and feather their own nest, which is all they are doing surely...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:31:24 PM by an tha »