Author Topic: Not to Early - General Admission Line SOP  (Read 6988 times)

Offline sceptic

• Refugee
Re: Not to Early - General Admission Line SOP
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 06:21:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw my first U2 show in Sunrise Musical Theatre for the WAR tour.  I sat in the nosebleed section... I graduated to a closer seat for the Unforgettable Fire tour but still nothing like being up close.  I've had seats for about 20 U2 shows.  It is great to not have the "pressure" you refer to when going to the show.  What you gain by having the ability to "chill" and "relax" you give up in other ways.  I agree with you that GA is the ONLY way to see U2.  But the queing experience is like nothing else.  Getting in line to "camp out" (at venues that still let you) with fellow U2 fans is part of the overall event.  I've met some incredible people whom I have stayed friends with years after the shows.

There is no way to describe being in the GA area in NYC after 9/11, with FDNY on the stage... Every U2 show seems to offer different pinnacle moments just like that... Seeing 'Unknown Caller' before it was pulled from the set list.  You get it...  Preaching to the choir... I don't need Bono's sweat on me but to be in a sea of U2 fans who are all there for the single purpose is religious.  And close is never close enough to the action.  I can hang in a bar with fans after the Circus has left town. 

Enjoy your shows!
Whay was Unknown Caller pulled from the setlist?

Yeah, like most of NLOTH songs, I believe. But 'Boots' remained, if I remember well. Go figure...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
When there are seats, people sit down. When you sit down at a gig, you don't get as involved. When you don't get involved, the atmosphere of the gig is worse for it. Even with seats if you're desperate to stand up, it just takes one person to yell 'sit down!' and you have a negative atmosphere.

GA on the floor is absolutely essential.

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 06:08:09 PM »
Unknown Caller was pulled because it was terrible live. Even putting up the lyrics couldn't keep the casuals from going for a beer. Easily one of the worst songs on NLOTH imo.

Offline unknowncaller82

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
The interesting thing about the stage setup for this tour is that every spot on the floor will be relatively close to the stage. Because the stage will run lengthwise everyone on the floor will be as close to the stage as they were in the "inner circles" of the past. What everyone will be fighting to get is a middle spot. My goal is to be dead center at the back of the floor. Live music is such a communal experience - I gotta have some crowd energy in front of me. If I want to see old rich rock stars up close I'll buy a dvd :) In a traditional configuration, I usually stand at soundboard for the best audio. I also find this spot has the best energy. It's Close enough to see the band but Not too close that you can't see the lighting and video effects.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 04:27:14 PM »
I reckon the pocket about 10m back from those who've queued all night and are too knackered to move (or too busy holding their iPhone up) is the most active and enjoyable spot on the floor. Back of the inner circle for 360 was great too.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »
I twice had a U2360 seat (mid range and pricey) yet stood. No one behind me said a word, nor did they recently at Fleetwood Mac. I felt a bit badly about it at the Mac concert. I turned around several times to see if the nice folks behind me were unhappy. We had chatted pre-show, so I hope they would have said sit down if it was too annoying. However, the people in front of me were also standing...

Soundboard is my go to spot in the 1000-1200 capacity GA standing venues in our area. I'll start front row and let my girls stay there and then I'll go to the back or the balcony. In the 9:30 Club, the balcony is quite close and is only about 6 feet back from the main stage. You can see everything quite well. Front men, Switchfoot's Jon Foreman, climb the balcony supports and sing right in front of you, so that's awesome!

Anyhow, I think for SOI GA middle back is the spot. Now to make that happen! ;)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 10:04:53 PM »
I'll be interested to get a very rough sense of when people are showing up to get where in the arena. I got a pretty good spot near the very front in the pit in 360 at 6:30 AM in one place but nowhere near the pit showing up at 9:30 in another venue.  But those were both much bigger venues of course.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 02:12:18 AM »
I plan to spend the whole day (& possibly the preceding night) in the GA line for at least 1 show, to get right up the front. The others, I'll wait & see. I guess a lot will depend on the stage layout (whether a short person such as myself can get a good view arriving later), what other fans are doing, & who knows, maybe even a lottery (although, from what is expected with the stage, there's no chance of a lottery). Please no, don't bring back the dreaded lottery!

Of course back-to-back shows (both in GA) may limit how long I plan to spend in GA each day.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:14:35 AM by d.darroch »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 10:18:44 AM »
So far, I have no back to back GA shows, but I'd imagine day 2 GA will be a later arrival to the GA lineup especially on hot summer days and the adrenaline rush of the night before delaying a good night's sleep.