Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 19525 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
MacPhisto Worship Thread
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:47:09 AM »
Can't believe this doesn't exist already...

A place to share pics, vids, favourite quotes, declarations of love, etc!

Welcome. :)

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:15:04 PM »
First of all, Canadanne, your MacPhisto tribute site is one of the greatest websites I've willingly spent hours on.  THANK YOU for that, it's amazing.  As for this thread - IT'S ABOUT ####ING TIME!!!  When I first heard about MacPhisto (from that live radio broadcast from Dublin 8/28/93), I wasn't sure how someone with Bono's distinctive features could possibly pass off as something like THAT.  Devil? Horns?  Gold Lame'?! What the hell is he thinking?  But later in that concert, I heard...THAT VOICE.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My first thought was - where's Bono?  Who the hell was that?  But then as Desire went on, I realized that really WAS Bono!  He really amazed me that day, and I could only hear his voice at the time, but he REALLY transformed himself and I was blown away.   That happened again when I finally saw him in (almost) full regalia in the 'Lemon' video.  With that in mind...

Here is the (ULTRA) rare video of the legendary Bad Yard Remix of Lemon:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:16:53 PM by Kurukira »

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »
First of all, Canadanne, your MacPhisto tribute site is one of the greatest websites I've willingly spent hours on.  THANK YOU for that, it's amazing.

Aw, thanks! :) It was (and is) a real labour of love. I'm actually surprised no-one had made a comprehensive fansite for him before.

But later in that concert, I heard...THAT VOICE.

My first thought was - where's Bono?  Who the hell was that?

Ha, I remember the first time I saw him on the Sydney video and heard him speak (I'd only seen photos before that). It was definitely a "Whoa, where did Bono disappear to?" moment! Creepy and yet fabulous. I rewound it straight afterwards to watch the speech and phone call again.

Here is the (ULTRA) rare video of the legendary Bad Yard Remix of Lemon:

The Lemon video is completely brilliant - that song really does have it all. Amazingly, I don't recall ever seeing this remix video before, so thank you for the link!! What a gem!

surit87

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 02:52:59 AM »
The character of MacP has always brought a smile to my face. I simply love him. Thanks Canadanne for starting this thread.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is a painting I did sometime ago.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »
Now we are talking....

'people of Sarajevo count your blessings, there are  those all over the world who have food, heat and security - but they're not on tv like you are'

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
Oh and Canadanne, your site is fantastic...as I have said before to people here...

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 09:26:30 AM »
That is definitely one of the greatest quotes!

Thank you, always glad to hear from people who have enjoyed the website. :) Funny to think I only started it as a way of avoiding my coursework at uni. :P

Does anyone know where to find the Rome soundcheck mentioned You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login?

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »
With or without you and Lemon were made for McPhisto to sing. One of my favourite parts of the Sydney DVD (except maybe the part when he gets his nipple out, I would have trouble explaining that to a friend.)

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »
Just saw your site the other day, Canadanne! Very good stuff!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 07:35:51 AM »
I've always loved MacPhisto, ever since I saw the Zoo TV DVD! Then I saw a video clip of Ultraviolet from the 1993 Dublin show, and I was astonished that MacPhisto gave a different speech before the song. I'm glad I found Canadanne's site after, because it was a treasure to go through all those transcripts! MacPhisto's a very quoteable character... And stylish.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

^I made that gif, love his fancy arm movements :)

Offline Albono

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:48:40 PM »
MacPhisto should make a comeback!
That would be a real treat for the upcoming tour!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »

I have mentioned this elsewhere but not here, I think... MacPhisto left a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for a fan convention in 2004, mocking the lyrics of 'Into The Heart' and saying "Innocence has turned to experience..." So I am hoping for a 'Teenage Bono vs MacPhisto' theme on the upcoming tour, as the voices of innocence and experience. ;)

Relevant quotes:

Bono on 'Songs Of Experience': "The singer - the protagonist in it - is much closer to where we're at in our life and the younger character from Songs Of Innocence, they sometimes meet and one has a take on the other that is often a little aggressive. I often think about that - what would the younger me think of me now. Not much." [...] Bono went on to describe the upcoming tour in more detail where there's a conversation between innocence and experience, describing it like The Who's Quadrophenia.

Bono on 'Volcano': "The second verse is, the younger guy goes, 'Your eyes were like the landing lights/They used to be the clearest blue/Now you don't see so well/And the future's going to land on you.'" It's this young guy going, "The f*** happened to you?" And on Songs of Experience, there will be a little bit more of that cross-talk, and I think that's going to get very interesting. So for a live show you can imagine Quadrophenia where Pete Townshend could walk in any minute and have an argument with his younger self. You know?"

Bono on the IE Tour: "We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two, and have some fun playing with the idea of innocence and experience. More to be revealed!"

Alternating stage personas? If only..... :)

Offline Albono

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 04:10:21 AM »

I have mentioned this elsewhere but not here, I think... MacPhisto left a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for a fan convention in 2004, mocking the lyrics of 'Into The Heart' and saying "Innocence has turned to experience..." So I am hoping for a 'Teenage Bono vs MacPhisto' theme on the upcoming tour, as the voices of innocence and experience. ;)

Relevant quotes:

Bono on 'Songs Of Experience': "The singer - the protagonist in it - is much closer to where we're at in our life and the younger character from Songs Of Innocence, they sometimes meet and one has a take on the other that is often a little aggressive. I often think about that - what would the younger me think of me now. Not much." [...] Bono went on to describe the upcoming tour in more detail where there's a conversation between innocence and experience, describing it like The Who's Quadrophenia.

Bono on 'Volcano': "The second verse is, the younger guy goes, 'Your eyes were like the landing lights/They used to be the clearest blue/Now you don't see so well/And the future's going to land on you.'" It's this young guy going, "The f*** happened to you?" And on Songs of Experience, there will be a little bit more of that cross-talk, and I think that's going to get very interesting. So for a live show you can imagine Quadrophenia where Pete Townshend could walk in any minute and have an argument with his younger self. You know?"

Bono on the IE Tour: "We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two, and have some fun playing with the idea of innocence and experience. More to be revealed!"

oh man! this is going to blow everyone's minds!!!!
the chance we see a hologram of MacPhisto or even live on stage... That would be huge!!!

aaahhhh... to hear again that mocking speech would be pure bliss!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 01:46:29 PM »

Relevant quotes:

oh man! this is going to blow everyone's minds!!!!
the chance we see a hologram of MacPhisto or even live on stage... That would be huge!!!

aaahhhh... to hear again that mocking speech would be pure bliss!

It would be the best surprise ever. Too bad it almost certainly won't happen! Still, I live in hope that one day they'll show some MacPhisto footage on the screens again, like they did on PopMart. And this tour would be the perfect opportunity to do it.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »

^I made that gif, love his fancy arm movements :)

His arm movements are a thing of beauty, especially the shapes he creates in the Lemon video!