Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 21918 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 06:39:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

^I made that gif, love his fancy arm movements :)

His arm movements are a thing of beauty, especially the shapes he creates in the Lemon video!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He does something similar when he performs Lemon.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 07:32:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

His arm movements are a thing of beauty, especially the shapes he creates in the Lemon video!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yes, when he comes down the walkway steps to be surrounded by his adoring fans... it always reminds me of male birds' courtship displays... ;D

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »

Yes, when he comes down the walkway steps to be surrounded by his adoring fans... it always reminds me of male birds' courtship displays... ;D
The Lemon video is very striking! And live too- I thought of his motions more like accepting the love of the audience, making himself open to them... Courtship displays though, that's great :D

Offline u24ever656

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 02:46:31 PM »
Hello. So I guess Ill admit it on here.. I was one of the various MacPhistos that Bono has been fascinated with, over the years. (*Not any longer, I might add). I was the MacPhisto that Bono spotted during a Much Music interview in Toronto 2001 after one of their shows at the Air Canada Centre. Always a great time to interview a band is AFTER their shows, as they are exhausted and   will not keep their guard up. Throw in another wild, screaming studio audience, have all 4 band members in the middle of it all facing eachother with all the other member's images on TV sets behind each person and you will see truth appear before your eyes. Slow motion the video to see the microexpressions of each band mate's response to a question or comment and you will know core beliefs of each band mate. Great genuine interview.

31:31 - Bono sees my devil horns in the crowd and stops George Stombolopolous to connect with someone he relates to. He looks at me with sadness in his eye..

"Son, Your the Antichrist!" shouts his father.
"You come from a family of travelling salespeople."
"You're just going to end up some wretched old celebrity doing Las Vegas shows"

I feel so sorry for Bono. He went through so much hardship, challenge and struggle in his life. He needed his mom so badly to keep him, protect him from such awful insults from those brute Irish males he grew up with. I identify with his yearning for mother in his songs.

With much sympathy to the MacPhisto identity that he accepted of himself, he says to himself:  Its okay young child. "One day all of this could be yours". (A quote that became inspiration for U2s next album (How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Vertigo).

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
Hello. So I guess Ill admit it on here.. I was one of the various MacPhistos that Bono has been fascinated with, over the years. (*Not any longer, I might add). I was the MacPhisto that Bono spotted during a Much Music interview in Toronto 2001 after one of their shows at the Air Canada Centre. Always a great time to interview a band is AFTER their shows, as they are exhausted and   will not keep their guard up. Throw in another wild, screaming studio audience, have all 4 band members in the middle of it all facing eachother with all the other member's images on TV sets behind each person and you will see truth appear before your eyes. Slow motion the video to see the microexpressions of each band mate's response to a question or comment and you will know core beliefs of each band mate. Great genuine interview.

31:31 - Bono sees my devil horns in the crowd and stops George Stombolopolous to connect with someone he relates to. He looks at me with sadness in his eye..

"Son, Your the Antichrist!" shouts his father.
"You come from a family of travelling salespeople."
"You're just going to end up some wretched old celebrity doing Las Vegas shows"

I feel so sorry for Bono. He went through so much hardship, challenge and struggle in his life. He needed his mom so badly to keep him, protect him from such awful insults from those brute Irish males he grew up with. I identify with his yearning for mother in his songs.

With much sympathy to the MacPhisto identity that he accepted of himself, he says to himself:  Its okay young child. "One day all of this could be yours". (A quote that became inspiration for U2s next album (How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Vertigo).

Oh, it's you! Welcome. :) I wrote about you on my You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login just last year!

Loved the spontaneous MacPhisto anecdote later in that show, after they made the band watch the Lemon video. :)

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 04:24:44 PM »
 ;)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
So I have a question, regarding that piece to camera that was filmed at the hotel in Rome, as described in B.P. Fallon's book ("hate your life enough and you can keep it forever", etc). Does anyone know if it ever got shown anywhere? Seems odd that they would film it and then do nothing with it. It's kinda like the holy grail for me, I would so love to see it! Or any other random stuff like that wonderful video message for Naked City - did other TV shows broadcast anything similar at the time? I'm always hoping some long-lost gem will show up. :) And those two missing phone calls, of course... argh...

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
So I have a question, regarding that piece to camera that was filmed at the hotel in Rome, as described in B.P. Fallon's book ("hate your life enough and you can keep it forever", etc). Does anyone know if it ever got shown anywhere? Seems odd that they would film it and then do nothing with it. It's kinda like the holy grail for me, I would so love to see it! Or any other random stuff like that wonderful video message for Naked City - did other TV shows broadcast anything similar at the time? I'm always hoping some long-lost gem will show up. :) And those two missing phone calls, of course... argh...

The 'missing phone calls'?  What are you referring to?

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 09:58:34 PM »
I wondered what they did with it too after reading about it... They didn't show it at the concert or anything, did they? Or maybe they were going to use it for some video project that got scrapped- although I'd expect that would be mentioned somewhere...

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 04:26:58 PM »

The 'missing phone calls'?  What are you referring to?

From the Lausanne and Brisbane shows. I don't think they were taped or shared by any fans. :( Just got to hope the band have some official recording in the vaults...

I wondered what they did with it too after reading about it... They didn't show it at the concert or anything, did they? Or maybe they were going to use it for some video project that got scrapped- although I'd expect that would be mentioned somewhere...

It wasn't used at any shows as far as I'm aware. It's a real mystery what it was for!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 10:56:34 AM »
Happy birthday Mr MacPhisto! :) He made his first appearance, unnamed and hornless, at a rehearsal 22 years ago today. How lucky were those few fans, getting a sneak preview of the awesomeness that was to come! "I can see you're all in awe of my platform shoes..." ;D

I wonder if this photo was taken then?

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »
That was also the appearance of the Red Fly! What a momentous night :D

Happy birthday MacPhisto!!

Offline PopmuzikMofo

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »
I'm a day late, but happy birthday to my favorite devil!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 07:43:27 AM »
The Zooropa Tour opened in Rotterdam on this day in 1993! Love this quote from Willie's tour diary: "'Desire' was one of those great moments where you know something that the audience (and the enormous amount of press people) don't. Out he comes, and you can feel 50,000 people go 'What the f***?' The absolute crowning glory was that it stayed dry all night until the encore break when the heavens opened, so MacPhisto made his first entrance in a raging downpour under a sky full of thunder and lightning. It looked like Faust meets Apocalypse Now."

I have the video of Desire, but Dailymotion deleted and blacklisted it for some reason. :( There's a funny bit where he shouts up at God in response to the rain ("You can p**s on me!"), and I adore the "I have a vision... Eurovision!" twist. ;D

You *can* watch MacPhisto's speech (including his rendition of 'Ding-A-Dong'!) and the first of many taxi phone calls, plus Ultra Violet:
I still don't know the story behind him saying it was the last Eurovision and the end of an era - I can't find any reference to the contest possibly ending that year! Do let me know if you can shed any light.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 09:09:53 AM »
The Zooropa Tour opened in Rotterdam on this day in 1993! Love this quote from Willie's tour diary: "'Desire' was one of those great moments where you know something that the audience (and the enormous amount of press people) don't. Out he comes, and you can feel 50,000 people go 'What the f***?' The absolute crowning glory was that it stayed dry all night until the encore break when the heavens opened, so MacPhisto made his first entrance in a raging downpour under a sky full of thunder and lightning. It looked like Faust meets Apocalypse Now."

I have the video of Desire, but Dailymotion deleted and blacklisted it for some reason. :( There's a funny bit where he shouts up at God in response to the rain ("You can p**s on me!"), and I adore the "I have a vision... Eurovision!" twist. ;D

You *can* watch MacPhisto's speech (including his rendition of 'Ding-A-Dong'!) and the first of many taxi phone calls, plus Ultra Violet:
I still don't know the story behind him saying it was the last Eurovision and the end of an era - I can't find any reference to the contest possibly ending that year! Do let me know if you can shed any light.

I was there, i remember standing alongside the catwalk and thinking Mac Phisto's shoes were incredible !!!! Got some Zoo ecu's and these are in a list on the wall  ;).