Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 18922 times)

Offline JTNash

• Numb
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wish Mac Phisto would sing me happy birthday I can post my number lol

Ah, happy birthday! You can always listen to the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and pretend it's for you... I mean we've all done it... haven't we? ;D
I shall hit the you tube later!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #271 on: February 03, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a bootleg video of Desire in Bremen 22 years ago today. I find it to be a thoroughly entertaining performance by MacPhisto. :) Love the "Shall we dance?" bit during the bridge, and it always makes me giggle when he does that exaggerated stride forward with the mic stand for his harmonica solo. ;D (I also like his movements during the harmonica solo...) Someone in the front row gets the aforementioned mic stand casually dropped on their head, and the Devil claims ownership of the future U2.com message boards: "My Zootopia!"

MacPhisto is still keen for a chat with Kohl, but has given up on trying to phone him and decides to see him in person, so it's a taxi order with a difference tonight - instead of taking him home, he wants them to take him all the way to Bonn! The guy is (understandably) very intrigued as to why he's going all that way to visit the Chancellor, and seems to be trying to talk him out of it, possibly suspecting that he's some kind of lunatic. *g* This conversation has one of my favourite endings, when the guy warns him how expensive the journey would be, and MacPhisto shrugs it off with "I can afford it - I'm a very rich pop star!"

There aren't any clips of the phone call on YouTube at the moment, but you can watch videos of the other songs - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

...And now you *can* also watch the phone call, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. :D

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #272 on: February 04, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
Click You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for a bootleg video of the Cologne show, with Desire starting at 34:01. There are two things I highly recommend listening to in this performance. The first one is MacPhisto's awesome manic laugh just after 36:40 when he's thrown the money into the crowd. The second is at 37:35 when he finishes his harmonica solo and lets out what can only be described as moans of pleasure. I dunno about you, but they have quite an effect on me. :P (He follows that up by ending the song with a passionate cry of "I LOVE YOU!" Darling, it's mutual.)

His speech begins at 38:28; he's still trying to contact his old friend the Chancellor. The woman answering the phone sounds a little weary of the routine by now! ;D This time he gets through to a different man, who is considerably less tactful and polite than the other one, asking "Who are you?" and "Do you know what time it is?" when he asks to speak to Kohl. I absolutely love MacPhisto snapping back at him "Yes, I know the time. I know a lot of things!"

The video I linked to before ends partway through Love Is Blindness, so You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a more complete upload, although it cuts off the great ending of Desire instead!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2017, 03:42:57 PM »
The tour arrived in Italy on 2nd July with the first of two nights in Verona. Poor Mr MacPhisto is lonely and sad and homesick tonight. <3 The phone call always makes me smile, though! He speaks to his old friend Máire from Clannad as the band are having an anniversary party, and makes her laugh by singing Happy Birthday to them! I love how she addresses him in character and everything. :D

Whole show video is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, though it's missing the start of Desire, which cuts in abruptly at 1:33:45. The speech starts at 1:37:04.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a different bootleg of the same show, which doesn't have the start of Desire missing!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »
The Italian tour continued with a visit to Turin on 12th July. "Do you like... me? I LOVE me!" ;D MacPhisto observes that they only have three Trabants left by this point, and tries phoning Gianni Agnelli to ask for some Fiat Bambini. Someone answers but proceeds to give him the silent treatment after that, so the call mostly consists of him repeating "Hellooo...?" in a rather forlorn voice!

I believe the Ultra Violet clips at 14:47 and 16:12 in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login are from this show, as are some of the ones used in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login documentary - I think the first and fourth lines of the "sleep on stones" verse are from Turin, but the second and third lines are from Bologna 2. Guess they couldn't find one performance they were totally happy with. :P

The audio bootleg is up on YouTube - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

You wait ages for a bootleg video of this show and then two come along at once - one filmed from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and one from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Another impressive display of flicking lighters at the end of LIB. :)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »
The first of two nights in Bologna was on this date. In the middle of Desire, MacPhisto apparently spots a balloon in the crowd ("Oh, lovely!") and is very keen to get his hands on it, for some reason - does anyone know what it was, exactly?!

The phone call was to lovely Luciano Pavarotti and is a real joy to listen to - even just the way he answers the phone in a sing-song voice, which brings a huge smile to MacPhisto's face as you can see in the clip You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login at 0:26! He is full of love and praise for U2 and their audience, laughs at MacPhisto's suggestion that he is "slimming down for the '90s", and says it would be "a great pleasure" to join them on stage one day (which happened in Modena a couple of years later). Awwww. I was really sad when he died in 2007.

You can watch the end of the phone call, Ultra Violet and With Or Without You You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. It's one of my favourite bootleg videos because of MacPhisto hilariously drawing his microphone technician into a slow-dance and kissing his hand at the start of Ultra Violet (2:06), and then bringing a girl on stage during WOWY and literally sweeping her off her feet (9:54)! I mayyyyy have watched that part quite a few times in the past... what a smooth technique he has...

The full show is on YouTube now, so you can also enjoy Desire, MacPhisto's speech, the start of the phone call, and Love Is Blindness:
Unusual ending to LIB in this one!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #276 on: February 13, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »
Second night in Bologna and the final show in Italy.

Today's concert anniversary is the first of two nights in Rome. This is one of the first MacPhisto performances I ever heard outside of the Sydney video, as I bought the bootleg on cassette during a visit to Dublin, haha!

And this was the other bootleg tape I bought on that trip. :) Always liked the Sympathy For The Devil snippet in Desire! "Please allow me to introduce myself... hello." :D There are some nice little moans in there too...

MacPhisto's speech and phone call are the first of the wonderful You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Oh my sweet heavens, the way he says "a gold lamé suit like mine" with that sultry stare... is it hot in here or what?

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He decides to phone Mussolini's granddaughter Alessandra, but gets a babbly answerphone message, and pulls an amusing bunch of frowny, unimpressed faces before shouting in vain for some human response. He then leaves one of his sweetly barbed messages for Alessandra ("I was a close friend of her grandfather's, and I just want to tell her she's doing a wonderful job filling the old man's shoes!"), adding "I will be with her forever in spirit..." in a tone that'll send shivers up your spine.

I think some Ultra Violet clips from this show were used in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, mixed with Turin footage as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Audio links: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

There is a bootleg video of the whole thing on YouTube now:
The female guest at this show is unusually lucky - she gets to dance with MacPhisto and hold his hand during WOWY, I think she gets a kiss for the camera (plus a kiss on the hand at the end), they dance again as LIB starts, she gets to sit next to him for a while, and he appears to be lying down beside her during the guitar solo! Oh, my heart...

The brief You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login on Naked City also appears to be from this show.

Regarding the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login documentary, I now think that performance of Ultra Violet is actually a combination of THREE different shows - anyone would think this band were a bunch of obsessive perfectionists!! The clips of him posing with the mic stand during the last verse are taken from Turin and Bologna 2, but the "Baby baby baby" clips (twirling on the main stage and heading along the catwalk) are from Turin and Bologna 1.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
MacPhisto - the sexiest little devil I've ever seen. :-P

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #278 on: February 15, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
MacPhisto - the sexiest little devil I've ever seen. :-P

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #279 on: February 15, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »
The only concert U2 have ever played in Hungary took place 22 years ago today, in Budapest. Desire has quite a lengthy shouted snippet of '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' at the end. I guess there weren't many English-speaking fans in the audience, as they bizarrely had an interpreter on stage with MacPhisto! (Meanwhile I don't speak any Hungarian, so please let me know if you're able to transcribe the answerphone message for me.) It's all rather awkward-sounding, especially since there appears to be some uncertainty as to how the communist politician Gyula Thürmer's name is pronounced!

Here's a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login of the show. Not the greatest quality, but something is always better than nothing!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2017, 04:42:49 PM »
It's Cork day! :D The Zooropa Tour landed on Irish soil and oh, what an entertaining speech we have here. Definitely a favourite of mine!

At the end of Desire, MacPhisto appears to say "Oh dear... up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up!", then "You fell over, didn't you?" and later "Who stuffed those cannons?" I would love to know what happened there! Someone must have come a cropper. :)

The Taoiseach, Albert Reynolds (who died last year) is among the VIP guests at this show, so MacPhisto starts by referencing his former career as a ballroom manager in the Irish showband era. And then the hilarity begins. The stadium is owned by the GAA, who banned U2 from selling condoms on the merchandise stands, so Paul McGuinness handed them out for free instead! This controversy becomes the topic of MacPhisto's speech - a fabulously sarcastic rant about the GAA saving the young people from being "carried away on a sea of seed and desire" and "delivered to the gates of Hell in a latex jacket", while closing their eyes to realities such as the AIDS crisis. It's so funny the way he just keeps on going! (And what can I say, I like hearing the old devil talk about sex. :P "Can't you feel it burning inside you... oh baby?") He tries to ring the GAA secretary Frank Murphy but gets no answer as the guy is apparently there in the audience, so he sings him Dana's winning Eurovision song instead! I love the way he sings "postcards to write", for some reason. :)

There's a bootleg video of Love Is Blindness and Can't Help Falling In Love You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. I do hope the rest will show up at some point!

You can listen to the whole show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Desire starts at 1:30:38, with that magnificent speech at 1:35:03.

Sadly I still haven't seen any video of Desire, the wonderful speech / phone call or Ultra Violet, but You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login includes With Or Without You as well as the songs I posted before.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2017, 08:21:09 PM »
There are a couple of bootleg videos from the second Melbourne show: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car (which doesn't include the dressing room scene like the Sydney show), and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is MacPhisto's speech & phone call followed by Lemon. He makes reference to an Australian TV station You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, and attempts to get in touch with her for a health update ("She's a personal friend of mine"), but he appears to have the wrong number... it's Dame Edna who answers the call! "Australian royalty", haha. :) This whole conversation is hilarious, it's just so camp and I love how they much they make each other laugh, along with everyone else! (I have never been able to make out Dame Edna's joke about the "Prince" who has her phone number, though?? What does she say and whom is it referring to? MacPhisto obviously gets it.) He ends up singing her a personalised version of the UK national anthem, and very rousing it is too. I wonder if she followed through with her promise to phone *him* from the stage?! This would not be the last conversation between MacPhisto and Dame Edna on the Zoomerang tour, but it's definitely the better of the two. Really funny stuff. :D And oh, that Lemony goodness. Cha-cha-cha...

You can now see the whole encore You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. The ending of With Or Without You is different again from both the Adelaide and Sydney versions - it was obviously a work in progress!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #282 on: February 20, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
The first of the two Sydney shows took place on this date, and you can watch a bootleg video of the whole thing You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car is at 1:25:50 (this one did include MacPhisto's dressing room!) and the speech starts at 1:31:05. It's a shame the quality is so poor - there are several bits I couldn't make out at all when transcribing it - but definitely better than nothing.

This was basically a repeat of the wonderful Melbourne routine, with MacPhisto attempting to phone his royal friends and getting Dame Edna instead, but you can tell his heart isn't really in it this time - the playful humour seems to be missing, doubtless because of all the tension arising from Adam's absence and the upcoming live broadcast. On the plus side, you get to hear MacPhisto use the F-word and have one of his little rants (about everything Australia owes to the UK, haha), and I like Dame Edna addressing him as "you naughty little devil" and praising the Zooropa album. :)

That other upload had a lot of weird freezing and fast-forwarding, but You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login appears to be better.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
"A Hollywood screenwriter and producer has accused Disney of copying the idea for its Oscar-winning animation Zootopia from him. [...] He claims Disney copied themes, settings, plot, characters and dialogue and the title of his Zootopia concept."

Wow, I hope Mr MacPhisto sues as well. He came up with the name "Zootopia" back in 1993. :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a bootleg video of Desire in Bremen 22 years ago today. I find it to be a thoroughly entertaining performance by MacPhisto. :) Love the "Shall we dance?" bit during the bridge, and it always makes me giggle when he does that exaggerated stride forward with the mic stand for his harmonica solo. ;D (I also like his movements during the harmonica solo...) Someone in the front row gets the aforementioned mic stand casually dropped on their head, and the Devil claims ownership of the future U2.com message boards: "My Zootopia!"