Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 21919 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 09:34:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Zooropa Tour opened in Rotterdam on this day in 1993! Love this quote from Willie's tour diary: "'Desire' was one of those great moments where you know something that the audience (and the enormous amount of press people) don't. Out he comes, and you can feel 50,000 people go 'What the f***?' The absolute crowning glory was that it stayed dry all night until the encore break when the heavens opened, so MacPhisto made his first entrance in a raging downpour under a sky full of thunder and lightning. It looked like Faust meets Apocalypse Now."

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have the video of Desire, but Dailymotion deleted and blacklisted it for some reason. :( There's a funny bit where he shouts up at God in response to the rain ("You can p**s on me!"), and I adore the "I have a vision... Eurovision!" twist. ;D

You *can* watch MacPhisto's speech (including his rendition of 'Ding-A-Dong'!) and the first of many taxi phone calls, plus Ultra Violet:
I still don't know the story behind him saying it was the last Eurovision and the end of an era - I can't find any reference to the contest possibly ending that year! Do let me know if you can shed any light.

I was there, i remember standing alongside the catwalk and thinking Mac Phisto's shoes were incredible !!!! Got some Zoo ecu's and these are in a list on the wall  ;).

I'm soooo envious!! Well, apart from the whole getting-drenched part - I'm OK with missing that. ;)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 09:56:09 AM »
Tonight is the anniversary of MacPhisto's phone call to Monique at KLM Airlines! It's a favourite of mine, and I'm amazed that his first attempt at a lengthy conversation turned out to be one of the best of the tour. :) I wonder if Monique found the experience memorable! She seems really nice, with a good sense of humour - I'm glad he got through to her. :)

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm so thrilled that this phone call (and a few others) were included as an Easter Egg with the Achtung Baby anniversary release! Never did figure out how to access it on the disc, but thankfully some fans uploaded the video - Rotterdam is the third clip, starting at 3:28:
The faces he pulls from 3:47 to 4:10 are freaking hilarious - I love the sudden look of recognition and delight when he hears the on-hold music, LOL! Also the suspicious look in his eyes when he thinks she's not taking him entirely seriously. ;D His beautiful smiles are lovely too, and all that flirtatious batting of eyelashes at the end... <3

This show also featured a pleasingly enthusiastic performance of Desire - "I'm really burning tonight!"

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »
^ Yay ! I heard that they got back with her to thank her for being a good sport. It's
   really funny indeed.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 02:27:53 PM »
^ I don't know why but the way Bono says "colloquialism" (around 6:24) - I just find it rather cute.  Some tend to forget how intelligent Bono actually is sometimes. 

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »
^ Yay ! I heard that they got back with her to thank her for being a good sport. It's
   really funny indeed.

Yeah, they gave her some free tickets! :)

The third and final Rotterdam concert took place on this date. Another highly entertaining performance of Desire at this show, full of MacPhisto's personality and with lots more ad-libbing than usual! I'm particularly amused by "I'll huff... and I'll puff... and I'll blow your house down!" towards the end. :D

The phone call to Queen Beatrix has one of the best punchlines of all: "Well, now! The last time a royal hung up on me, I sent the House of Windsor into flames!" Genius. ;D There's a little video clip of that during the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login interview with Bono, at 3:03.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 05:21:49 AM »
   really funny indeed.

Yeah, they gave her some free tickets! :)

The third and final Rotterdam concert took place on this date. Another highly entertaining performance of Desire at this show, full of MacPhisto's personality and with lots more ad-libbing than usual! I'm particularly amused by "I'll huff... and I'll puff... and I'll blow your house down!" towards the end. :D

The phone call to Queen Beatrix has one of the best punchlines of all: "Well, now! The last time a royal hung up on me, I sent the House of Windsor into flames!" Genius. ;D There's a little video clip of that during the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login interview with Bono, at 3:03.

Yep, i'm sure Queen "Bea" would have picked up the Phone if she knew it was MacPhisto ha ha !!

"Look what you've done to me, you have made me verry famous and i thank you"

I would love a return of MacPhisto this tour..............
Imagine on the screen appears an image of MacPhisto and Bono talks to him. That will
make me feel so good !!

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »
^ I don't know why but the way Bono says "colloquialism" (around 6:24) - I just find it rather cute.  Some tend to forget how intelligent Bono actually is sometimes.

Yes! I've been looking for excuses to say "it's a colloquialism" all day.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
The video of MacPhisto phone calls is one of my favorite U2-related videos ever... I was so happy to see the Rotterdam phone call at last! I've listened to it so many times.

Bono, or rather MacPhisto, looks like he's really enjoying himself.

What I always wanted to know, though, was how did he get all those numbers? Is it really true that "when you're famous, people give you their telephone numbers," or were they actually that easy to look up?

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »
Imagine on the screen appears an image of MacPhisto and Bono talks to him. That will
make me feel so good !!

I think I'd die of happiness on the spot!

The video of MacPhisto phone calls is one of my favorite U2-related videos ever... I was so happy to see the Rotterdam phone call at last! I've listened to it so many times.

Me too. I want moooorrre!

What I always wanted to know, though, was how did he get all those numbers? Is it really true that "when you're famous, people give you their telephone numbers," or were they actually that easy to look up?

They got some of them from journalists, apparently. And got into trouble for reading them out loud. ;D

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 01:22:29 PM »
make me feel so good !!

I think I'd die of happiness on the spot!

Me too. I want moooorrre!

They got some of them from journalists, apparently. And got into trouble for reading them out loud. ;D
You do have to wonder how many people in the audience tried to call the numbers later... :D assuming they could remember it, of course!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »

You do have to wonder how many people in the audience tried to call the numbers later... :D assuming they could remember it, of course!

The Danish politician was reportedly very unhappy about all the U2 fans ringing his wife after the show to complain about her hanging up on MacPhisto!

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 06:47:29 AM »
Hi Canadanne, have you looked up Dave Vanian yet? Admittedly I'm not sure he acted out characters as much as enjoyed styling himself in a gothic fashion… but there are a few parallels.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
Not familiar with him, no.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2015, 11:40:31 AM »
Lisbon anniversary today!
Love MacPhisto's little renditions of Moon River. :) Poor old devil didn't have much luck with the latest taxi company: "I'm the last pop star, and they've hung up on me." :( There's a bootleg video of the concert here, with the speech starting at 40:26:

I think the performance clips in this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from 3:04 to 3:59) are also from the Lisbon show.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
Lisbon anniversary today!
Love MacPhisto's little renditions of Moon River. :) Poor old devil didn't have much luck with the latest taxi company: "I'm the last pop star, and they've hung up on me." :( There's a bootleg video of the concert here, with the speech starting at 40:26:

I think the performance clips in this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from 3:04 to 3:59) are also from the Lisbon show.

Dang, YouTube blocked the first link in the US  :(