Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 33542 times)

Online JTNash

• Numb
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 07, 2018, 06:58:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok, I admit it. I've been churning that one around for weeks but it eludes me.

Help?

The elephant line? I took it as a reference to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login...
the Republicans mascot is an Elephant

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #361 on: July 07, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »

Help?

The elephant line? I took it as a reference to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login...

Ah yeah, didn't think of that... I do believe it's a multi-layered joke... :D

Online JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #362 on: July 07, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »

Help?

Ah yeah, didn't think of that... I do believe it's a multi-layered joke... :D
yes me too MacPhisto is definitely clever enough for multi layer Jokes

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #363 on: July 07, 2018, 08:25:18 PM »
The GOP symbol was all I could think of and I couldn't progress from there.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #364 on: July 26, 2018, 07:59:15 PM »
Hurrah - I have finally finished writing about the latest two tours. Shadow Man! Comic-strip intermission video! The actual return of actual MacPhisto!!! All this and more can now be found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Sorry it's so long... I get carried away when it comes to this subject. :P (Not really sorry.)

Online JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #365 on: July 27, 2018, 08:05:09 PM »
Hurrah - I have finally finished writing about the latest two tours. Shadow Man! Comic-strip intermission video! The actual return of actual MacPhisto!!! All this and more can now be found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Sorry it's so long... I get carried away when it comes to this subject. :P (Not really sorry.)
great job!  I book mark your site!  Can’t wait to see what happens in Europe

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #366 on: July 28, 2018, 07:49:00 AM »
Thrilled to also see Shadow Man there. Brrr, what a character. The Mirrorball Man with camp removed and sinister made much more plain.

Awesome write-up.

BTW I think you can remove the question mark after the "sliding down the surface of Things" because that is for sure what is going on.

Really happy to read the description of the Heroes' Journey comic - have watched but it's hard for me to see all the details.

In the HMTMKMKM original video, I believe the point of Bono being run over by Elvis was that he was run over by rock and roll.

And some of the things that happen in his life seem kind of ... spooky? ... to me.

The Hereos' Journey clip ends with To Be Continued. I originally just took it as "the story is not over" but I wonder if in a later tour or video we'll actually see another installment.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #367 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
In the HMTMKMKM original video, I believe the point of Bono being run over by Elvis was that he was run over by rock and roll.

I think it's also just a collision of the various things that inspired MacPhisto, with The Screwtape Letters and Elvis both contributing to the genesis of him.

And some of the things that happen in his life seem kind of ... spooky? ... to me.

Very spooky indeed! (Did Bono's mysterious health scare involve red lightning, by any chance?!)

Thanks for reading, peeps. :)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #368 on: August 04, 2018, 11:53:44 PM »
Sitting in the GA crowd that night in Tulsa was insane. It’s giving me goosebumps just thinking about it. Bono was strutting around in his tails and top hat and I heard the first sounds of Acrobat. I knew they had rehearsed it, so it wasn’t a surprise, but I was sooo looking forward to it. But then Bono started talking, really getting into it. And I looked up at the screen and there was a white-faced devil up there. And I thought “Holy $#!t, holy $#!t, he’s doing a call back to Mr. MacPhisto!!!!” And then he said, “I’ve been away for a while,” and I thought, “Holy $#!t, holy $#!t, IT IS MR. MACPHISTO!!!!!” And he started ranting, as Mr. M is wont to do. And I was in heaven, absolute heaven. Mr. MacPhisto came back for me at the opening of the show and it filled in a massive hole in my U2 tour experience that I never even noticed was missing.

Here’s the best part: The Joshua Tree 2017 was the original Joshua Tree tour on steroids. If they do decide to do a 30th anniversary tour for Achtung Baby...what is ZooTV on steroids going to look like?!?!?

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #369 on: September 05, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »
Quiet around here - has everyone dropped dead from the sheer amazingness of the European speeches? That would be understandable.... he's better than ever!! :D :D :D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2018, 08:15:35 PM »
Well.... I for one have been loving it, anyway....

Absolutely adored the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. It was such a relief just to hear MacPhisto was still there (I knew he probably would be, but I didn't want to take it for granted)... and it was everything I wanted from the European leg! A bit more variety (loving the new Kraftwerk intro), a nice long speech with fantastic use of MacPhisto's voice, a topic I fully expected him to focus on, and that lovely "I was a handsome devil... some say I still am" remark. I was so happy I genuinely almost cried. ♥

Berlin 2.... didn't happen. I'm glad they've managed to reschedule it! That was a very worrying situation. I wondered if MacPhisto would have anything to say about it at the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, and he didn't disappoint. ;D I've always loved him taking the mickey out of "Bo-no" at the Naples show in '93, so it's hilarious to hear him go there again after all these years, even more mercilessly! Also loved his rant about the anti-racism concert ("I've never been so bored!") and how he much prefers "a good rumble".

I was surprised and amused to find that he was still not done with belittling Bono on the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login in Cologne (will those two ever get along?). And another nice callback to the Zooropa Tour, with MacPhisto saying we should vote for him!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login coincided with the big climate change rally, so I guessed he would talk about that, and be unimpressed by it. ;) First time we've heard him use the 4-letter version of the F-word, stats fans! The best part is his wicked laugh when the crowd starts booing him - cracks me up every time. :D

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login was the same day as the Swedish election, which I knew would be of interest to MacPhisto but I wasn't sure it would get a mention, since they aren't playing in Sweden this year. As if that was going to stop him! And he managed to segue onto Marine Le Pen, who was *bound* to be mentioned at some point, considering he tried to phone her father on the original tour. "France, you disappointed my favourite" - with the disapproving shake of the head, hahaha! What a speech this was. Always nice to hear him speak some French, too. :)

A couple of observations:
-- MacPhisto's been really bored lately. The Chemnitz concert was boring, Bono's speeches are boring, climate change is boring, and Swedish people are boring. Poor thing... maybe he needs a new hobby?
-- MacPhisto appears to have a strange, unexplained fascination with balloons. This is the second time he's randomly enthused about them!

Cannot wait for Paris 3 and 4...

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #371 on: September 14, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
I was surprised and amused to find that he was still not done with belittling Bono on the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login in Cologne (will those two ever get along?)

Not any time soon, it appears. :P You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login saw MacPhisto at his most vicious - I was not expecting to hear him call Bono a "pompous little pr**k"...! Wow, haha. I'm starting to see this interview from 1994 in a whole new context:

Q magazine: Has MacPhisto gone?
Bono: He's gone to bed, covered his head and won't get up till Monday.
Q magazine: Where does he live?
Bono: I don't want to know any more. I've had it with him.

One can only imagine the insults he may have been subjected to... no wonder it's been 25 years since they last invited Mac on tour with them. ;)

Loved hearing his French lines at each of these shows, especially with his English accent coming through on the fourth and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login! That whole speech is soooooo reminiscent of the original tour, it gave me lots of good shivers. :) Also, "my little cabbages" might be my new favourite catchphrase of his. ♥

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #372 on: September 14, 2018, 08:44:22 PM »
MacPhisto saved Bono. Maybe The Fly did, too.

Which is weird because I'm saying this devil (and a****** rock star) made Bono a better person.

Imagine if we were stuck with Rattle and Hum Bono forever.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #373 on: September 15, 2018, 01:04:47 PM »
Much love for this post!! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #374 on: September 17, 2018, 08:02:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - I like his visible disappointment that the crowd are a bunch of pro-Europeans who don't share his love of fascists. ;) The rest of this speech was the same as Paris 4, plus the previously omitted line "And in Hungary, they're just... hungry for me!" (Well, who wouldn't be? Oh right, we're still talking politics... :P)

I *really* enjoyed his speech at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, with the "funny smell" routine and an extremely ZooTV-esque ramble about the good old days when Salazar was in charge! (This speech is twinned with Madrid '93, when MacPhisto reminisced about Franco as well as suggesting himself as a candidate for election.) I love how 'MacPhisto for Europe' has developed into a full-blown campaign now... Minister of Everything, haha!