Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 17378 times)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 06:47:29 AM »
Hi Canadanne, have you looked up Dave Vanian yet? Admittedly I'm not sure he acted out characters as much as enjoyed styling himself in a gothic fashion… but there are a few parallels.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
Not familiar with him, no.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2015, 11:40:31 AM »
Lisbon anniversary today!
Love MacPhisto's little renditions of Moon River. :) Poor old devil didn't have much luck with the latest taxi company: "I'm the last pop star, and they've hung up on me." :( There's a bootleg video of the concert here, with the speech starting at 40:26:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think the performance clips in this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from 3:04 to 3:59) are also from the Lisbon show.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
Love MacPhisto's little renditions of Moon River. :) Poor old devil didn't have much luck with the latest taxi company: "I'm the last pop star, and they've hung up on me." :( There's a bootleg video of the concert here, with the speech starting at 40:26:

I think the performance clips in this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (from 3:04 to 3:59) are also from the Lisbon show.

Dang, YouTube blocked the first link in the US  :(

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »

Aw, I didn't know that. :( It's not a particularly great quality bootleg, mind you - filmed from miles away!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

Aw, I didn't know that. :( It's not a particularly great quality bootleg, mind you - filmed from miles away!
I'll still try to find it elsewhere on the Internet. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
Happy birthday Mr MacPhisto! :) He made his first appearance, unnamed and hornless, at a rehearsal 22 years ago today. How lucky were those few fans, getting a sneak preview of the awesomeness that was to come! "I can see you're all in awe of my platform shoes..." ;D

I wonder if this photo was taken then?

Here is another: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

what date was he The Red Fly?

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »
Happy birthday Mr MacPhisto! :) He made his first appearance, unnamed and hornless, at a rehearsal 22 years ago today. How lucky were those few fans, getting a sneak preview of the awesomeness that was to come! "I can see you're all in awe of my platform shoes..." ;D

I wonder if this photo was taken then?

Here is another: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

what date was he The Red Fly?

Other people know more about this than me, but I believe he only wore the red outfit at the Hershey rehearsals in August 1992 and the Rotterdam rehearsal on 7th May 1993.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
The Zooropa Tour arrived in Spain on 19th May, with a show in Oviedo. MacPhisto got stuck listening to an automated weather forecast in Spanish this time! (If there are any fluent Spanish speakers with a good ear on here, I'd be huuuugely grateful for even a partial transcript of the recorded message. It's way too fast for me to catch anything, especially with the poor sound quality, and never having learned the language.)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 09:15:35 AM »
The second Spanish concert took place in Madrid on this date. MacPhisto sang a bit of Moon River again, inventing some of his own lyrics this time! He then introduced the rest of the band, which can be seen on the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login video at 2:34. (LOL at Larry's one-finger response to having his vocal skills compared with Springsteen!)

I love the phone call at this show, in revenge for the Ritz Hotel turning the band away because they didn't comply with the dress code! The pitiful tone in MacPhisto's voice when he tells the crowd they "wouldn't let your favourite rock 'n' roll band stay there" - he sounds like he's going to cry about it, poor darling. <3 The hotel keeps him on hold for quite a while, singing along with the music - he also throws in what I think is meant to be a snippet of 'Spanish Eyes' (the Al Martino song, not the U2 one), and I love him telling the crowd to Vote MacPhisto in the upcoming general election. *g* It's hilarious when he finally gets through to the hotel manager...
MacPhisto: "I need a tie and a jacket? But I've got a very special jacket, and I have some horns."
Manager: "I understand."
LOL, no, somehow I don't think you do! The guy assures him there won't be any problem, to which the Devil cheerfully spits "Well, thank you very much - you'll have MacPhisto, but you won't have the group of U2. That's fine; thank you!" ;D

A bootleg video of the show can be found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, with MacPhisto's speech starting at 23:49 (though it jumps a bit in places, and is missing a few lines from the middle of the phone call). There's a more complete audio bootleg You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login if you skip to 1:33:56.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »
The second Spanish concert took place in Madrid on this date. MacPhisto sang a bit of Moon River again, inventing some of his own lyrics this time! He then introduced the rest of the band, which can be seen on the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login video at 2:34. (LOL at Larry's one-finger response to having his vocal skills compared with Springsteen!)

I love the phone call at this show, in revenge for the Ritz Hotel turning the band away because they didn't comply with the dress code! The pitiful tone in MacPhisto's voice when he tells the crowd they "wouldn't let your favourite rock 'n' roll band stay there" - he sounds like he's going to cry about it, poor darling. <3 The hotel keeps him on hold for quite a while, singing along with the music - he also throws in what I think is meant to be a snippet of 'Spanish Eyes' (the Al Martino song, not the U2 one), and I love him telling the crowd to Vote MacPhisto in the upcoming general election. *g* It's hilarious when he finally gets through to the hotel manager...
MacPhisto: "I need a tie and a jacket? But I've got a very special jacket, and I have some horns."
LOL, no, somehow I don't think you do! The guy assures him there won't be any problem, to which the Devil cheerfully spits "Well, thank you very much - you'll have MacPhisto, but you won't have the group of U2. That's fine; thank you!" ;D

A bootleg video of the show can be found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, with MacPhisto's speech starting at 23:49 (though it jumps a bit in places, and is missing a few lines from the middle of the phone call). There's a more complete audio bootleg You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login if you skip to 1:33:56.
"I've got a very special jacket, and I have some horns!" That cracks me up. Was he being serious- U2 were actually not allowed at the Ritz because of the dress code? How ridiculous...

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2015, 12:46:44 PM »

"I've got a very special jacket, and I have some horns!" That cracks me up. Was he being serious- U2 were actually not allowed at the Ritz because of the dress code? How ridiculous...

Apparently the hotel cancelled their reservation after learning that they were a rock band...! Perhaps they'd had a bad experience with some other group?

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »

Apparently the hotel cancelled their reservation after learning that they were a rock band...! Perhaps they'd had a bad experience with some other group?
Haha, I can understand that with some bands! But U2 are obviously not crazy rock stars like that. MacPhisto's call was a good way to retaliate...

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2015, 01:47:41 PM »

Haha, I can understand that with some bands! But U2 are obviously not crazy rock stars like that. MacPhisto's call was a good way to retaliate...

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they picked the target for that show. :D

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 10:53:05 AM »
The first French show of the year took place on 26th May in Nantes, giving MacPhisto an opportunity to speak a bit of the language. :D The phone call was another taxi order, with the Devil stating his current location as "everywhere". I find it really funny how the woman doesn't seem to question that he is indeed omnipresent, but just keeps trying to point out that it isn't practical for picking-up purposes. *g* She sounds like a no-nonsense headmistress dealing with a smart-alecky kid, although he appears to win her over at the end when he offers to sing her a song!