Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 18879 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2015, 09:48:38 AM »
The Zooropa Tour's single visit to Belgium was in Werchter on this date. The best part of MacPhisto's speech has to be his remark about Adam's ginormous willy ("but it's not as big as my one"). ;D He tried to order a taxi again, but thought the guy on the phone was being disrespectful towards him! Click You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for a (somewhat jerky) video of it, which also includes the end of Desire.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Zooropa Tour's single visit to Belgium was in Werchter on this date. The best part of MacPhisto's speech has to be his remark about Adam's ginormous willy ("but it's not as big as my one"). ;D

This was a hilarious intro by MacPhisto, another fave intro was when he introduced Larry as "Boy George's wet dream", LOL!  I have to remember which one that was, maybe Tokyo?  Having seen Adam's willy (on the album sleeve, you pervs!), I have to say it's not bad.  It got me wondering how big MacPhisto's is ;D

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
The Zooropa Tour's single visit to Belgium was in Werchter on this date. The best part of MacPhisto's speech has to be his remark about Adam's ginormous willy ("but it's not as big as my one"). ;D

This was a hilarious intro by MacPhisto, another fave intro was when he introduced Larry as "Boy George's wet dream", LOL!  I have to remember which one that was, maybe Tokyo?

Yeah, that's the final concert in Tokyo! (He was also described as "a feast for Boy George" at the second Melbourne show, haha.) Poor Larry got a lot of teasing that year. :D

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »

This was a hilarious intro by MacPhisto, another fave intro was when he introduced Larry as "Boy George's wet dream", LOL!  I have to remember which one that was, maybe Tokyo?

Yeah, that's the final concert in Tokyo! (He was also described as "a feast for Boy George" at the second Melbourne show, haha.) Poor Larry got a lot of teasing that year. :D

LOL, I remember that too, haha!  You have to admit, Boy George has good taste in guys!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Frankfurt was the first in a run of German shows at the start of June. Probably the most boring of all the phone calls, in which he attempted to order a taxi but the number was engaged! (I do love hearing him say "They like you, I love you", though...)

There are individual audio links for this show: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »
4th June: Munich. It's another wet show, so MacPhisto has his umbrella out again at the start of Desire ("I've got one and you haven't!"), and later sings an entertaining snippet of Singin' In The Rain. :)

We also have the first in a whole series of attempted phone calls to Helmut Kohl, the German Chancellor (rather like the Mirrorball Man's regular calls to the White House). Not sure why some guy in the audience starts yelling incoherently about his love for Kohl! Unfortunately it was a Friday night and the Chancellor had already gone home for the weekend (otherwise I'm sure he would have taken the call). MacPhisto tries to leave a message, but the poor guy in the office clearly has no idea what's going on, and politely hangs up as soon as he can get away with it. *g* To be continued...

The entire concert can be enjoyed as a pretty good quality You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Desire starts at 1:34:55, with MacPhisto's speech at 1:39:35. The phone call is also included in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, at 7:14 - some more great facial expressions!

Annnd there are audio links too: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »
6th June was Stuttgart, which has a bootleg video You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (the encore starts at 36:10, speech at 40:57). Check out the way he emphasises "when I'm INSIDE her" in Desire! *fans self*

"It's so hot in Germany - just like at home," remarks the Devil. ;D

Tonight is his second attempt to get hold of Helmut Kohl, but he just gets the same confused guy who doesn't understand English very well, telling him to ring back in the morning when the Chancellor will definitely be available to take the call. ;)

The start of Ultra Violet is a complete mess, with forgotten lyrics and then a serious guitar malfunction!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2015, 09:23:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a bootleg video of Desire in Bremen 22 years ago today. I find it to be a thoroughly entertaining performance by MacPhisto. :) Love the "Shall we dance?" bit during the bridge, and it always makes me giggle when he does that exaggerated stride forward with the mic stand for his harmonica solo. ;D (I also like his movements during the harmonica solo...) Someone in the front row gets the aforementioned mic stand casually dropped on their head, and the Devil claims ownership of the future U2.com message boards: "My Zootopia!"

MacPhisto is still keen for a chat with Kohl, but has given up on trying to phone him and decides to see him in person, so it's a taxi order with a difference tonight - instead of taking him home, he wants them to take him all the way to Bonn! The guy is (understandably) very intrigued as to why he's going all that way to visit the Chancellor, and seems to be trying to talk him out of it, possibly suspecting that he's some kind of lunatic. *g* This conversation has one of my favourite endings, when the guy warns him how expensive the journey would be, and MacPhisto shrugs it off with "I can afford it - I'm a very rich pop star!"

There aren't any clips of the phone call on YouTube at the moment, but you can watch videos of the other songs - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a bootleg video of Desire in Bremen 22 years ago today. I find it to be a thoroughly entertaining performance by MacPhisto. :) Love the "Shall we dance?" bit during the bridge, and it always makes me giggle when he does that exaggerated stride forward with the mic stand for his harmonica solo. ;D (I also like his movements during the harmonica solo...) Someone in the front row gets the aforementioned mic stand casually dropped on their head, and the Devil claims ownership of the future U2.com message boards: "My Zootopia!"

I have a Zootopia t-shirt so now I'll take MORE pride in wearing it now since MacPhisto apparently invented it!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
Click You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for a bootleg video of the Cologne show, with Desire starting at 34:01. There are two things I highly recommend listening to in this performance. The first one is MacPhisto's awesome manic laugh just after 36:40 when he's thrown the money into the crowd. The second is at 37:35 when he finishes his harmonica solo and lets out what can only be described as moans of pleasure. I dunno about you, but they have quite an effect on me. :P (He follows that up by ending the song with a passionate cry of "I LOVE YOU!" Darling, it's mutual.)

His speech begins at 38:28; he's still trying to contact his old friend the Chancellor. The woman answering the phone sounds a little weary of the routine by now! ;D This time he gets through to a different man, who is considerably less tactful and polite than the other one, asking "Who are you?" and "Do you know what time it is?" when he asks to speak to Kohl. I absolutely love MacPhisto snapping back at him "Yes, I know the time. I know a lot of things!"

It was after this gig that MacPhisto managed to scare the hotel staff into action when the crew's food was showing no sign of arriving! Such a funny anecdote - I wish someone could have filmed *that* phone call. :D

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »
The final German show was Berlin on the 15th - bootleg video You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, with Desire at 32:16 and MacPhisto's speech at 37:02. "It's important to be nice... but it's nicer to be important!" - his fifth attempt at this quip and he finally gets the wording right. *g* He tries one last time to contact the Chancellor, but can't get through at all, so he shouts his message instead: "Can you hear me, Helmut Kohl? I don't need the telephone lines! You know who I am! And I want to thank you for letting me back into the country! I'm BAAACK!" Be very afraid...

Audio links: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »
After more than a week's break, the tour resumed and made its second visit to France - this time to the "capital of Zooropa", Strasbourg. A whole bunch of politicians were in town, so the plan was just to phone their hotel and see who was available for a chat. *g* Strangely though, the receptionist denies all knowledge of the various guests he enquires about. I find the end of this phone call hilarious, when the guy obviously decides it's best to just humour the weirdo until he goes away! ("Yeah. Okay. Yes, okay. Okay, bye-bye.") ;D

The whole encore (except the very start of Desire) can be watched You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, or there are some shorter videos if you prefer - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. I often wonder whether Adam appreciated the various things MacPhisto does to him during Desire! (This performance also shows you how good the singer is at multitasking, as he does the first half of his "What a night!" speech while standing on one leg, juggling an uncooperative mic stand with his foot. *g*)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 09:05:09 AM »
Paris anniversary today. Nice little snippet of Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head at the start of MacPhisto's speech. :) Having failed to get hold of Jean-Marie Le Pen at the previous show, he tries to find out his telephone number by ringing President Mitterrand at the Élysée Palace. Another chance to hear MacPhisto speaking French. :) I love how he addresses the unhelpful guy on the phone as "young man", too!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:47 AM »
The first of two Swiss shows took place in Lausanne on this date. Woe! There is no known recording of this! :( :( :( What wouldn't I give to hear it? The moment they invent a time machine, this is the first place I'm going! All we have is Pimm Jal de la Parra's write-up: "MacPhisto phones Benedict Hentsch, who is believed to have been Adolf Hitler's personal banker, but he doesn't get him on the phone. The following day, Hentsch hears about the call and tries to phone Bono in the hotel to offer him his financial advice." If anyone here actually attended the show and can recall any further details, please share!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2015, 07:00:10 AM »
Great work, keep it up!