Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 18216 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Great work, keep it up!

LOL, thanks. Any excuse to ramble on about my favourite subject. *g* Would love to see more people sharing their thoughts about the shows!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »
The second and final Swiss show took place on 30th June, this time visiting Basel. I love MacPhisto's little speech about the boat trip on Lake Geneva (his "friends" including Naomi Campbell and the various support acts - Macnas, Stereo MCs and The Velvet Underground). For some odd reason there is no phone call tonight, even though he says he's going to call a taxi (to take him from Switzerland to Las Vegas... hmmm!) - maybe there was a strict curfew and they were overrunning or something?? Poor devil gets booed for wanting to go home, and is visibly dismayed by it!

This is one of the few pro-shot concerts! Yay! If you've never watched it, YOU MUST. The whole show is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, including the warm-up act by the always wonderful U2 Massive Heeds! (Desire starts at 1:36:52 and the speech is at 1:41:32.) Or there are individual videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. (Ladies... and possibly gentlemen... you might like to watch that WOWY video from 1:54, for some serious flirting with the camera.) The You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is on YouTube too.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »
Love that Switzerland show.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2015, 10:03:16 AM »
The tour arrived in Italy on 2nd July with the first of two nights in Verona. Poor Mr MacPhisto is lonely and sad and homesick tonight. <3 The phone call always makes me smile, though! He speaks to his old friend Máire from Clannad as the band are having an anniversary party, and makes her laugh by singing Happy Birthday to them! I love how she addresses him in character and everything. :D

Whole show video is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, though it's missing the start of Desire, which cuts in abruptly at 1:33:45. The speech starts at 1:37:04.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »
The tour arrived in Italy on 2nd July with the first of two nights in Verona. Poor Mr MacPhisto is lonely and sad and homesick tonight. <3 The phone call always makes me smile, though! He speaks to his old friend Máire from Clannad as the band are having an anniversary party, and makes her laugh by singing Happy Birthday to them! I love how she addresses him in character and everything. :D

Whole show video is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, though it's missing the start of Desire, which cuts in abruptly at 1:33:45. The speech starts at 1:37:04.
Never seen this show before!

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »
On the second night in Verona, MacPhisto speaks the line "Come on baby light my fire" (guh!) during Desire, as it's the anniversary of Jim Morrison's death. (He also lists some other members of the 27 Club - "Brian Jones, Janis...") He makes his first attempt to call the Pope, to offer him some ZooTV equipment for his next world tour, but sadly he can't get through!

The video of Desire and the speech and phone call is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. (Be warned: first time I saw this video, I was so mesmerised by those hips that I couldn't think straight and completely forgot what important task I'd been just about to do.)

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And here are the rest of the videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »
Asking again just in case - does anyone have a recording of the soundcheck from Rome on 5th July 1993? It apparently consists of:

Satellite Of Love
Zoo Station intro (multiple times)
Zoo Station (full song)
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One / Unchained Melody
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Van Diemen's Land
All I Want Is You (first verse only)
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Where The Streets Have No Name
Desire
MacPhisto speech

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »

I can stare at that ALL......NIGHT........LONG...........................

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »

I know, right?!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »

I know, right?!
It's hypnotic!  ;D

Offline PopmuzikMofo

• Refugee
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »
The second and final Swiss show took place on 30th June, this time visiting Basel. I love MacPhisto's little speech about the boat trip on Lake Geneva (his "friends" including Naomi Campbell and the various support acts - Macnas, Stereo MCs and The Velvet Underground). For some odd reason there is no phone call tonight, even though he says he's going to call a taxi (to take him from Switzerland to Las Vegas... hmmm!) - maybe there was a strict curfew and they were overrunning or something?? Poor devil gets booed for wanting to go home, and is visibly dismayed by it!

This is one of the few pro-shot concerts! Yay! If you've never watched it, YOU MUST. The whole show is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, including the warm-up act by the always wonderful U2 Massive Heeds! (Desire starts at 1:36:52 and the speech is at 1:41:32.) Or there are individual videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. (Ladies... and possibly gentlemen... you might like to watch that WOWY video from 1:54, for some serious flirting with the camera.) The You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is on YouTube too.

I made these gifs for tumblr, but I thought I would share with y'all.  :)

ENJOY!  ;)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2015, 10:15:36 AM »

I made these gifs for tumblr, but I thought I would share with y'all.  :)

ENJOY!  ;)

Oh, beautiful! Thanks for sharing these!! :) :) :)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »
Those are wonderful! :-* I support more MacPhisto in Motion (ie gifs).

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2015, 12:50:11 PM »
Today's concert anniversary is the first of two nights in Rome. This is one of the first MacPhisto performances I ever heard outside of the Sydney video, as I bought the bootleg on cassette during a visit to Dublin, haha!

"With a red guitar player on fire"! Edge was on fire even then. :D
Desire is pretty great - I always liked the way he goes "I'm burning baby, yeah... oh yeah... oh yeah". And follows it with a snippet of You Make Me Feel So Young. Oh yeah! Some fabulous rolled R's for "Rrrrroma!" too.

I also really love hearing MacPhisto speak Italian! "Ciao, miei cari bambini." <3

He tries again to get hold of the Pope, this time to find out which football team he supports. ;D (The way he says "Alright then... I shaaall" amuses me. I find myself saying it sometimes.) It's very endearing how the lady tries so hard to help him out even though she's struggling a bit with the language! I think he may have had more luck trying Castel Gandolfo rather than Castel Sant'Angelo. ;) Still, he did get there eventually, it seems...

If anyone here speaks Italian, I would appreciate some help with transcribing the guy who initially answers the phone - not sure what he's mumbling in the background when MacPhisto starts asking about the Pope.

The show can be seen You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login with Desire at 40:27 and the speech starting at 45:12, or there's an individual video with just the speech / phone call and Ultra Violet You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. The girl pulled up on stage for this concert is extraordinarily lucky, by the way!! She comes on during With Or Without You (57:52), and when it gets to the guitar solo, he actually lifts her right up with her legs wrapped around him! Then they dance and hug for the rest of the song ("We'll shine like stars in the silver light / We'll shine like stars, it'll be alright / Just hold on, hold on, baby hold on tight"). And carry on dancing into Love Is Blindness! Then rather than send her away, he lies her down on the stage and crouches over her for ages - I don't even quite know *what* is going on there! He stands up again to sing the next verse, but then lies down *with* her for the entire guitar solo. They are lost from view for some time, before he pulls her into a sitting position and sings the last few lines to her. Wow - what an experience that must have been...!

Here are the audio links too if you want them - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline popbonobuzzbaby

• Running to Stand Still
  • Walk out, into a sunburst street...
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »
Great thread! I love Macphisto too. My daughter has been gathering clothing items when she finds them to dress up as him one of these days.   :)
Many years ago I saw an amazing homemade Macphisto doll on ebay. I bought it of course.  ;D I can post a pic if anyone wants to see him.

Here are some of my Macphisto gifs.  ;)