Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 30835 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The first of the two Sydney shows took place on this date, and you can watch a bootleg video of the whole thing You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car is at 1:25:50 (this one did include MacPhisto's dressing room!) and the speech starts at 1:31:05. It's a shame the quality is so poor - there are several bits I couldn't make out at all when transcribing it - but definitely better than nothing.

This was basically a repeat of the wonderful Melbourne routine, with MacPhisto attempting to phone his royal friends and getting Dame Edna instead, but you can tell his heart isn't really in it this time - the playful humour seems to be missing, doubtless because of all the tension arising from Adam's absence and the upcoming live broadcast. On the plus side, you get to hear MacPhisto use the F-word and have one of his little rants (about everything Australia owes to the UK, haha), and I like Dame Edna addressing him as "you naughty little devil" and praising the Zooropa album. :)

That other upload had a lot of weird freezing and fast-forwarding, but You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login appears to be better.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
"A Hollywood screenwriter and producer has accused Disney of copying the idea for its Oscar-winning animation Zootopia from him. [...] He claims Disney copied themes, settings, plot, characters and dialogue and the title of his Zootopia concept."

Wow, I hope Mr MacPhisto sues as well. He came up with the name "Zootopia" back in 1993. :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a bootleg video of Desire in Bremen 22 years ago today. I find it to be a thoroughly entertaining performance by MacPhisto. :) Love the "Shall we dance?" bit during the bridge, and it always makes me giggle when he does that exaggerated stride forward with the mic stand for his harmonica solo. ;D (I also like his movements during the harmonica solo...) Someone in the front row gets the aforementioned mic stand casually dropped on their head, and the Devil claims ownership of the future U2.com message boards: "My Zootopia!"

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2018, 05:49:27 PM »
This is no time not to be alive...

Just dropping by to say that I, too, have been a busy little devil, trying to get the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login up to date now that he's BACK ON TOUR?!?!?!?! (until the moment I eventually wake up from this insane dream).

There's a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and various other small additions, though I haven't yet had a chance to update You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (soooo much to wrap my head around in the past week or so). I did say this was the perfect time to bring him back, but I still can't believe they came to the same conclusion!

One other thing:

I have mentioned this elsewhere but not here, I think... MacPhisto left a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for a fan convention in 2004, mocking the lyrics of 'Into The Heart' and saying "Innocence has turned to experience..." So I am hoping for a 'Teenage Bono vs MacPhisto' theme on the upcoming tour, as the voices of innocence and experience. ;)

Called it! :D The only thing they changed was having the two personas on separate tour legs instead of alternating 'innocence' and 'experience' nights!

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
Are you the person who made THE MacPhisto fansite???

I'm honored!!

I read through it all. Took me quite a bit of time, too.

Curious about your opinion of this MacPhisto. He seems to disaapoint people who were fans of the funny, charming one.

But I think this is brilliant. I mean, I love the 90s one. But this seems to be the correct next installment, imho.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »
Are you the person who made THE MacPhisto fansite???

I guess so, unless there's another one somewhere. :) Thanks for reading... took me quite a bit of time to write it, too!

Curious about your opinion of this MacPhisto. He seems to disaapoint people who were fans of the funny, charming one.

But I think this is brilliant. I mean, I love the 90s one. But this seems to be the correct next installment, imho.

I can see both viewpoints. I mean, I don't disagree that the new avatar is kind of horrifying and cheap-looking (not exactly what I had in mind for a MacPhisto comeback), so it took a bit of adjusting to. But this is absolutely still MacPhisto and I love him in whatever form he takes! The whole "magic mirror" routine is a great way to introduce him, and it makes sense that the face of evil is now scary and ugly - I don't think you could get away with presenting it as charming any more, as there are too many people who would just nod in agreement when he's praising white supremacists or whatever. It's still creepy and funny and getting better with every show.

Plus... I've spent the best part of two decades wishing for *any* kind of tiny MacPhisto reference in a show. To have him actually *back* and giving full topical speeches again is more than I ever dreamed possible, so it would be the height of ingratitude for me to complain about the way they're doing it. I'd rather have a rough-around-the-edges animated MacPhisto than none at all!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"Would that spoil my chance with the young ladies... if my make-up was smudged?"

...I still would. ;)

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #275 on: May 10, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
So glad hes back I agree any form will do.  But I think the evil out there now is so dark and twisted it had to be a dark and twisty MacPhisto

Offline kevtn43

• Refugee
« Reply #276 on: May 12, 2018, 06:49:38 AM »
Im so glad that he is baaaaack i love the classic and the new one

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »
For anyone who hasn't yet heard it, MacPhisto's speech from one of the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is well worth a listen. The voice is a lot closer to "classic" MacPhisto and he's certainly at his mischievous best! Transcript added You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. :)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2018, 08:24:38 PM »
I really, really liked the Acoustic Showman that was on u2start from Laval.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #279 on: May 14, 2018, 08:38:47 PM »
You can watch it on that video yt link.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #280 on: May 14, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »
For anyone who hasn't yet heard it, MacPhisto's speech from one of the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is well worth a listen. The voice is a lot closer to "classic" MacPhisto and he's certainly at his mischievous best! Transcript added You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. :)

LOVE how you transcribed it.

I haven't listened yet, but if I just read that transcription from a paper laying in the street with no names attached, I'd go OMG MACPHISTO IS BAAAAAACK.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »

LOVE how you transcribed it.

I haven't listened yet, but if I just read that transcription from a paper laying in the street with no names attached, I'd go OMG MACPHISTO IS BAAAAAACK.

That's because he's Anglo-Irish, obviously!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2018, 07:24:56 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:

"I have always been with you, though it's nice when I get the chance to dress up. It feels like I'm making a comeback - d'you get that feeling?"

There aren't enough heart emojis in the world for how I'm feeling right now...

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »
Hes almost ready to tweet, he can do this Tweet Trump!

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2018, 09:35:43 PM »
Actually good idea.