Author Topic: October Worship Thread  (Read 211820 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: October Worship Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »
Hey, unforgettable fire, I was about to post that one of my favorite songs has always been Scarlet! It is so beautiful and haunting.  I just love Larry's drums, Edge's guitar and Bono's passionate vocals on this one. I always got a kick out of the fact that the only word in the song is rejoice and they titled it Scarlet.  I guess that was because they already had a song called Rejoice on it already.  Does anyone happen to know why they called it Scarlet?  I've never read anything on that one.  Anyway, if I ever get to heaven, this is the song I picture myself singing when I enter the gates!!

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 08:58:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Great idea - but think I'm being thick how do you do that!

You can set an account with Photobucket, upload images and post them on websites and other cool stuff. That's how I post my pics.

Online singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 02:36:19 AM »
Hey unforgettable - worked it out and have the October sleeve on the thread - cheers!

Also to hear the tin whiste - an audio post recorded live in 83!

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 03:05:26 PM »
Listening again.  This album just keeps growing on me more and more.  Probably the biggest grower in the U2 discography for me.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »
October is a stellar album and probably the band's most overlooked and underrated album. It's touching and beautifully done; as a Christian the lyrics really hit me every time and it feels like a worship album, reminding me to praise God in both good and bad times. Like Zooropa, it proves that the band can make a great album with very little time.

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »
October is a stellar album and probably the band's most overlooked and underrated album. It's touching and beautifully done; as a Christian the lyrics really hit me every time and it feels like a worship album, reminding me to praise God in both good and bad times. Like Zooropa, it proves that the band can make a great album with very little time.

Yup, i do think they really wear their faith on their sleeves on this one, and as a Christian i look on the album with great respect for putting God first in a secular-dominated market

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 09:19:33 AM »
Hey unforgettable - worked it out and have the October sleeve on the thread - cheers!

Your welcome. Glad I could help.  ;)

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »
Been listening to all of the early stuff again.  It's amazing to me how they were already so good during the first few albums.  For me there is so much raw potential and energy (I know I'm starting to repeat myself but I can't help it this stuff gets me excited) that it more than makes up for any of their early misteps.  Taken individually they are not the greatest musicians but when you put them together...magic.  I urge everyone to give October a few more listens if it hasn't quite clicked with them yet.  It took me a while to fully appreciate it. 

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 10:52:25 AM »
I just got a copy of 'October'.  (It's an old cassette, but my son's friend burned it onto a CD for me, and I loaded it on my ipod.  Did you all know that was possible?  My ignorance sometimes astounds me!)  Im just getting to know these songs.  It has a quieter mood than 'Boy', but it's better than I was prepared for- what with all the hate it gets.  Some of the songs just don't stay with me, but maybe that's just because I'm not that familiar with it yet.   I'm not yet prepared to worship it, but I may feel differently in a couple of weeks.   :)

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »
^Yea, keep with it!  I remember thinking the same thing.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 11:02:49 AM »
I just got a copy of 'October'.  (It's an old cassette, but my son's friend burned it onto a CD for me, and I loaded it on my ipod.  Did you all know that was possible?  My ignorance sometimes astounds me!)  Im just getting to know these songs.  It has a quieter mood than 'Boy', but it's better than I was prepared for- what with all the hate it gets.  Some of the songs just don't stay with me, but maybe that's just because I'm not that familiar with it yet.   I'm not yet prepared to worship it, but I may feel differently in a couple of weeks.   :)

I think I'll be checking this thread on regular basis, making bets with myself on how long it will take you before you say "I worship"  ;)

Online singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »
I agree stick with it! Before you know Tomorrow and With a Shout will be sending shivers up your spine! Spread the word!

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »
I actually enjoy every song on this album.  Is that a rare thing even for the October worshippers here? 

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
I'm with you!  I have always loved every single song. I am happy to see people showing interest in October. All Doubting Thomas'-trust us worshippers-you will be converted!!

Online singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 01:53:58 PM »
I'm there on all the songs as well - but do have specific favourites - Glaria, I threw a brick, Tomorrow and October...but its a perfect all round album for me!