Author Topic: October Worship Thread  (Read 194038 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I am not invisible
Re: October Worship Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 04:49:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I actually enjoy every song on this album.  Is that a rare thing even for the October worshippers here? 

Not for me. I like the entire album. ;D

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 07:45:59 PM »
This thread is good for my soul. 

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 01:23:22 PM »
Soul - now thats a great theme for the album!!

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
As long as no moles are involved this time  :D

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22:53 AM »
I just relaized something: lyrically the album reflects the hard times the band were going through such as crises of fatih, which in a way can be a theme for the album. But the following album "War" is kinda the same thing, hence a bit more harder and angrier to an extent musically and lyriclly.

October deals with finding faith in God while War can be just the same thing except the band rocks harder with that album. But unlike War, October deals it in a more energetic yet peaceful and at times sobbering manner than War. Songs like "Tomorrow" and "Scarlet" evoke times of, the former, anguish and, the latter, serenty.

I guess I may not be doing a good job here but I guess what I'm trying to say is that the lyical transition from October to War is just mesmerizing: From October being spirtually serching to War being spiritually angry with everything. And that sense of spiritual confilict, to me at least, won't mature until The Unforgettable Fire, a more mature "October", and The Joshua Tree, nearly the opposite of "War".

Speaking of "War", if anybody is a fan of U2's third album, might I suggest of creating a worship thread for that album cause I also love that album just as much. Otherwise I can make it.

Ok, I've stopped rambleing. LOL :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:00:17 AM by unforgettable fire »

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 12:41:10 PM »
Unforgettable - great insights and I think your right about the transitions. For me thats the beauty of this band - each album feels special in its own way. As for a War worship thread - I'm there and spookily I'm listening to it just now. So lets start one (or someone else) otherwise lets go for it!

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 06:42:39 AM »
I've really noticed the prominence of Larry's drumming on 'October'.  For some reason it jumps out at me more so than on other albums as a whole.  He sounds like he's drumming for his life on there!  Very intense.

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 07:45:55 AM »
With the reissue's live versions of the album's songs, the record has made a lot more sense and more appreciative of it, but i still think the opinion of it exists for a very good reason.

If this wasn't a U2 album, would it be accepted to a certain degree?

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 08:35:55 AM »
Hey!  This thread is for October worshipping, not doubting!  Heathen!  Get out!   :D

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »
Maybe this is weird for a U2 fan, but I'm not religious at all.  Is this part of the reason why I can't enjoy and worship October?

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 06:24:58 AM »
I think a lot of U2 fans aren't necessarily religious.  If you are, that probably adds just another dimension to your enjoyment of their music.  'October' definitely has some strong religion running through it.  I guess that's where the band was at the time.  Heavily involved with that group they were part of (what was it called?)  You're probably right.  That's probably part of the reason it doesn't connect with you, B-Wood.  Some of the songs just aren't memorable, in my opinion.   I like 'October' well enough, but I'm still not prepared to worship it.   :)

Offline spanner

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 07:05:17 AM »
i love the october album. i always thought it was vastly under-rated and in some cases dismissed as an album.if you look at the tracklisting there aren't any weak songs on there .tomorrow is my favourite track and is up there for one of my favourite tracks of all time.the passion and also the desperation comes through in many of the songs,it was a tough time personally and musically as a band for them and that comes through.stranger in a strangeland with adams great bassline, rejoice,fire,gloria,with a shout all great songs.i think i did a favourite album from 1-10 in another poll on a forum and october was easily in my top 5 .better than pop,zooroopa,htdaab.bettered only by the joshua tree and achtung baby .october we worship you !!!!!

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2008, 12:29:15 AM »
Theres been alot of talk about this thread (like that!!) this thread is not a religiuos thread this thread is worshipping the October album! I just dont get the dull view or the its only because its U2 you like this album (see other thread) but maybe I'm too into the album to be able to comment objectivly - for all those non belivers - listen - great melodies great songs - simple! What surrounded the album also adds to why its great - but the songs for me really work - so lets try keep converting!

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 09:10:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey, unforgettable fire, I was about to post that one of my favorite songs has always been Scarlet! It is so beautiful and haunting.  I just love Larry's drums, Edge's guitar and Bono's passionate vocals on this one. I always got a kick out of the fact that the only word in the song is rejoice and they titled it Scarlet.  I guess that was because they already had a song called Rejoice on it already.  Does anyone happen to know why they called it Scarlet?  I've never read anything on that one.  Anyway, if I ever get to heaven, this is the song I picture myself singing when I enter the gates!!

Wow. I'm flattered. Thanks. I'm listening to "Scarlet" now and your right, from Larry's drums to Edge's guitar and Bono's voice just screams passion to me, espcally those icy piano notes. If anything Scarlet is probably my favorite off October.

And actually, the band was going to name the album "Scarlet" after the song, but settled with October instead. Would've made a great album name.

Ha, well, this is "one" of the songs I'll be thinking off when I go to heaven. :D

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »
Me too laong with Rejoice and Tomorrow...etc

PS I'm not necessarily religous - just like a great choon!