Author Topic: Should U2 re-evaluate their devotion to Aung San Suu Kyi?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Should U2 re-evaluate their devotion to Aung San Suu Kyi?
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
Article says she is a bust. What do you all think?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Cheers,

J

Offline noelle510

• Refugee
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
Re: Should U2 re-evaluate their devotion to Aung San Suu Kyi?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
and she hasn't been fighting the persecution of the Rohingya Muslim minority, many who are boat people stranded in the ocean. Burma revoked their citizenship and they have nowhere to go.(I'm reiterating what was said in article)

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
Pretty complex issue to deal with in a fairly short article. I think you need to judge her more after the elections later this year and if she is in power then. A lot has happened to Myanmar in a short time and a lot more needs to happen. 

As for U2, well they are pretty silent on her these days and for them it was about supporting having her freed (not that there arent plenty of others around the World her deserve to be freed also). Doesnt mean U2 need to monitor her stance on everything she does on an ongoing basis.

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
I find U2 very 2 faced on issue's like these...where are U2 campaigning for the Palestinians?

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »
I find U2 very 2 faced on issue's like these...where are U2 campaigning for the Palestinians?

??? You find it two faced that they select some issues to campaign on and not others? That's sort of in the nature of effective activism. And it makes sense to choose a more black and white issue like  Myanmar where ASSK may have many flaws but she is clearly superior to the brutal junta in place beforehand.

Borack

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 01:43:58 PM »
While activism does require a certain degree of selectivity and myopia to be effective and while the situations are vastly different, I've got to agree with The Bonzo on this one ... Besides, if we were to frame the issue based on a theme of incarceration (of sorts) then in the case of ASSK, she struggled or endured many years in an open air prison of/for one ... Whereas for the Palestinians, some would contend that the number would or could be closer to maybe one million. An article for reference, which I believe may have been featured here sometime before.

U2can support whomever they want, whether living or dead (as in the case of Mandela) but none of us are perfect. Even imperfect politicians deserve support too. Keep well.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:14:06 PM by Borack »

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
I would prefer it if they kept all political activism outside of the four walls of innocence and experience.

Offline Eno

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »

What about the Armenians?

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »

Want someone to blame? Throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:51:37 PM by The Edges Cat »

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
A case of "I'd join the movement if there was one I could believe in"

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 06:13:34 PM »
I think it was more about what she represented at the time.

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 06:34:29 PM »
Eno, thanks for that. At least we Armenians, and our own 100-yr struggle for justice, are becoming more well known. Until 10 yrs ago or so, we were pretty well invisible. But we're learning. Finally. And about bloody time too.

As for the question you quoted in your post...well, Edge has an Israeli-born wife (her family is from Jerusalem no less) and their 2 children in Israel would be technically Jewish (it's looked at as passed down through the mother's side.) So regardless of how they might feel, you're not likely going to be getting a bloody answer on that one.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:39:26 PM by Mary C »

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 11:24:35 PM »
I think U2 have already made a statement by refusing to play Walk On on this tour so far.

Cheers,

J

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 05:17:33 AM »
Is it mandatory for U2 to be vocal about every injustice in this world ? I mean if we start making lists...

U2 members are like us : we are more or less sensitive and active depending on many factors. You can't possibly be everywhere and embrace every cause there is, especially since it seems there is a cause for everything, nowadays. I was given a flyer the other day which clearly stated : "long live the war !"

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »
I appreciate the fact that U2 stand up for something and that it isn't always the trendy thing to stand up for.  There are a ton of things in the world that require activism.  U2 have picked and chosen their causes, so far be it for me to criticize them for picking one cause over another. 

As for ASSK, I'm not sure it's much to think about.  I really doubt that U2 not playing Walk On means much.  It could, but it would truly only mean something if they stated that.  U2 has a lot of songs.  Certainly a song like Walk On, which isn't a huge hit, is one that wouldn't get played much.