Author Topic: Should U2 re-evaluate their devotion to Aung San Suu Kyi?  (Read 5038 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Should U2 re-evaluate their devotion to Aung San Suu Kyi?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think U2 have already made a statement by refusing to play Walk On on this tour so far.

Cheers,

J

Seriously? No.

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »
For me, them not playing WO doesn't mean much. It's just another of the '00's material that they have decided to drop. Walk On was a hit, but I don't think it achieved BD or Vertigo status.

Bonzo..since you are so interested in the issue...let me recommend some reading material of my own. There's a book called "Countdown: Our Last Best Hope For a Future On Earth" by Alan Weisman. It's a book about the global population crisis, and overconsumption  and how this excerbates climate change, etc. Those types of issues. Published last yr.
Read Chapter 1, "A Weary Land Of Four Questions", he examines the conflict from a demographic and environmental POV. It'll rock your socks off. I've read about the conflict extensively, including your linked article and the book "Goliath," but I can guarantee you'll find out things you don't know, about both peoples. You'll never think about the conflict in quite the same way again.

I don't think people realize JUST how dire the water crisis is, the global media never discuss it, nor the real importance of the Huleh Valley, for instance....though many writers have commented on the water crisis  from the Palestinans'  experiences. One quote really stuck out for me, in a chapter full of such quotes: "By 2020, all Israelis will be drinking treated sewage." Basically, they're in a California-like status now, with much worse to come, and *fast*.  This is Israel I'm talking about, not Gaza or the West Bank, and this is *with* the desalianation plants going full blast...his (hinted at) conclusion: both peoples are totally screwed, and very soon, if things do not change on a variety of levels. Fat chance of that, though, as such things are usually a political issue and as such the real truth is kept from the masses. The whole Middle East is really falling apart due to water issues as the real root cause, IMO; the refugees fleeing the place sense it or know it directly, but this "climate change" crap is anathema in many of the global centers of power. Nobody wants to admit that the party's over...

sorry for off-topic there, but I highly recommend this book for everyone, not just Bonzo.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:06:36 PM by Mary C »

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 08:13:09 AM »
Mary C,

I have visited Palestine, been to Gaza, the West Bank, East Jerusalam, Tel Aviv for years I know a lot about the conflict.  I have seen at first hand the treatement of Palestinians by the Israel.

God did not give the jews Israel...the United Kingdom did...sorry to go off topic here..but what right did the UK have to give the Jews someone else's country?

I am not a supporter of Hamas.

Anyways that's I have to say on this matter..

Peace & Love to all..

The Bonzo

• Holy Joe
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 09:09:29 AM »
Well, no, the UK didn't 'give' Israel to the Jews; in fact Jews came there themselves while the UK actively tried to prevent Jews from escaping the Shoah to go there, probably dooming tens of thousands; it was the UN which presented a plan giving land for a state of Israel and it was the Jews themselves who fought there against overwhelming odds to *keep* that land which they already had after the UK withdrew and left them to it.  But as you say, that's all for another thread.

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »
You are correct Israel previously known as British Mandate Palestine the British did a deal with the Jews to put forward in Motion to the UN..

& how did Israel eventually get Palestine? what's the word....oh yes that's right...Terrorism..

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 09:48:17 AM »

I would prefer it if they kept all political activism outside of the four walls of innocence and experience.

You do realize this is U2 were speaking of, right? Just wanted to make that clear. I'm sure there is an Aerosmith concert or something we could go to if we don't want to 'mix politics and sport or politics and music but I think that kind of bull$&@#'.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »

You are correct Israel previously known as British Mandate Palestine the British did a deal with the Jews to put forward in Motion to the UN..

& how did Israel eventually get Palestine? what's the word....oh yes that's right...Terrorism..

Revised history. The land was inhabited by the Jews before the diaspora and long before the sea faring Palestinians inhabited the land.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 10:06:19 AM »
I think a Real World thread is advised if people wish to keep discussing Israel / Palestine.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »
I don't. So don't bother.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 04:33:52 AM »
It's worth noting that of the nations most critical of Suu Kyi -- Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia -- all of them have refused asylum to thousands of Rohingya. Recently, scores of Rohingya were left starving to death on boats by their smugglers, no food no water. Malaysia and Indonesia are both Muslim nations, yet they turned away their fellow Muslims despite knowing they faced death. Many of the Rohingya were forced out of Bangladesh for being a religious minority, illegally settling in northern Myanmar. And here are Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia, criticising Suu Kyi for not helping the Rohingya! And then there's China -- many Chinese settlers in northern Myanmar who have been part of the clashes. Makes you wonder who's pulling the strings.

The critics have agendas, the writer of the article in the OP has an agenda. It's all politics. None of them give a rats about the Rohingya. I'd be very very wary of judging Suu Kyi just on their word. Many want Suu Kyi and democracy gone -- China wants Myanmar, Islam wants Myanmar, multinational corporations want Myanmar. And here's Suu Kyi, a woman no less, doing the best she can in a cess pool of corruption.

It's also worth noting that Suu Kyi's party has urged the Myanmar government to grant citizenship to Rohingya Muslims. It's obvious her party wants to do more -- but they don't have power. In fact Suu Kyi has bugger all and is barely holding on. Some political experts believe this is the reason for her silence -- if she speaks out now, she loses votes and thus all hope of her helping the Rohingya. By staying silent she's guaranteed votes necessary to gain power and then she can help -- yes, the Rohingya suffer now but it's a case of short term pain for long term gain.

At the end of the day, there have been cynics and critics lining up to shoot Suu Kyi down in flames for years -- I'd be very wary of them, they have agendas, and you're not getting the full facts. They're using the Rohingya situation to their full advantage. For example, Indonesia now claims most of the refugees they turned away (thousands of them) are not Rohingya and are actually Bangladeshi, promised illegal jobs.

Who do you trust?

Suu Kyi is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. People jumping on bandwagons without the facts isn't helping. At the end of the day, President Thein Sein and his military cronies have the power in Myanmar, China is stirring up trouble in the north for their own gain (no one's mentioned that, which is very telling), and other nations are circling like vultures for their own agendas**.

And in the midst of that is one woman who the world is now condemning for not saying words that for all intents and purposes would do nothing to affect the situation?

Anyway, U2 was supporting Amnesty International, for all prisoners of conscience, not just Suu Kyi. So U2 should play Walk On and play it loud.

** Case in point: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:15:34 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »
I think it was more about what she represented at the time.

She's changed. I don't like her anymore. But seriously, it looks U2 has defriended assk

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 10:04:30 PM »
My access to the modern political situation in Burma has been through the focus of U2, not going to lie. Given the atrocious, cruel situation the Rohingya have been put in, and Suu Kyi's silcene/acceptance of the situation, I will understand if they repurpose Walk On for other things. She seemed so damn impressive...

Offline Olek

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 11:49:05 PM »
Greetings. Just checking in. I agree with and I support your perspective on ASSK, and her special profile as someone worthy of U2's interest to a modern leader who is perhaps more complex yet less praiseworthy, at least recently.  I also respect U2's decisions and choices to support causes and candidates that they hold in high regard, even though I don't always agree with them.

But on another and more humorous / notable level, its been about 939 days since this thread was last active, or at least received some new comments. Yes, its arguably a discussion that involves the band, but it straddles or crosses-over into an area and realm that has been less popular or familiar for the purposes of expression in these parts, which I'd regard as encouraging.

Keep well you old rascal (and fine mod) too. A shame about your Sounders, but they are / were a fine team at certain times this year and kept it interesting until the end. Keep well and cheers.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »
Two years on, I guess my foresight was ahead of its time.

U2 have disowned her.  U2 never played Walk On since she rose to power.

..and just recently they made public statements against her.

So this thread wasn't just pulled out of thin air or a rabbit out of a hat.  I did have some basis when I wrote this.

Cheers,

J

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
Time to burn my assk mask. Other U2 friends such as Weinstein, Mario Batalli, Ken from Spotted Pig could also be called out.