Author Topic: Set List Sucks - NO IT DOESN'T - I DO!  (Read 17759 times)

lucas.homem

Re: Set List Sucks - NO IT DOESN'T - I DO!
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 03:06:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Come on Saint, do you really think anyone is suggesting that they would "want Streets dropped for Bass Trap"?

No, you can't take too much stock of what Bono has said. Plus his injury has probably put them way behind schedule. But Bono did say that were looking for a "different feel" between the nights. I'm certainly not feeling that, Electric Co. for OOC, doesn't give me this feeling. They're certainly no Bruce Springsteen. But you can look after the casuals, & have shows with a "different feel". Just by rotating the warhorses. This is what I suggested in another thread.

Yeah true, you can't bombard the casuals with deep cuts & b-sides. But U2 has a pretty vast catalogue, with many songs know by casuals. Many of these warhorses feel old for us, so mixing it up & playing these songs on rotation would be nice. Looks like it could happen a bit (I can't believe One wasn't played).

Beautiful Day - One (courageous/crazy to leave either of these out).
WOWY - AIWIY
EBTTRT - The Fly
Pride - NYD
SBS - BTBS
Mysterious Ways - COBL
Angel of Harlem - ISHFWILF
Vertigo - Elevation (please no)
Bad - RTSS

Streets has to stay

I'd still expect more new songs to be played. We haven't heard Volcano yet. I'd like to hear TIWYCRMN, & TCB. I would really like to hear SLABT (though I don't like my chances).

One other thing they could do to change the feel of the show is have 2 sets of graphics for the regular songs (like they did with the AB intermission on 360). Just so these songs felt different between nights (though don't change Cedarwood Rd, it's brilliant).

As for set length, I didn't think it would be extended much. They've got to look after Bono's voice & Larry's back. But if they're going to do a regular length show, then why no opening act?

As for not playing TIWYCRMN, Saint you said they can't play the whole album. Why not? It doesn't have to be all in the one night.

They said in a recent interview that they gave up on the idea of two different nights because they were afraid people would have the feeling they went to the worse night.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
This tour is just another example of why you can never trust what comes out of Bono's mouth.  Remember all the hype beforehand about how each show would be divided between night one and night two?  And remember how the look and feel of the two shows would be so much different?  BS.  It's still the same tired old radio hits they've been banging out at concerts for thirty some years.  YAWN!  Please, U2, take some lessons from Bruce Springsteen and try to put on a new show every night.

Oh my God. Have you ever looked at a Bruce Springsteen setlist? And as we discussed yesterday, yes, Bono and Adam hinted at different nights 1 and 2, but the fans let their imaginations run away with them.

Bruce Springsteen. Please. I've seen 8 shows; it's the same 45 songs over and over again on a tour. Is each night different? Yes. It's either Working on the Highway or Bobby Jean every night. Big deal. Imagine U2 changing between Elevation and Vertigo and people acting like that's a big thing.

??? I've seen Springsteen many times and have always had some surprises and almost all the shows were different. On the Wrecking Ball tour he played over 200 different songs. The guy takes audience song requests and at the show I was at took a request for a song the band hadn't played in about 20 years. How much more can he do?

Not ignore signs for good songs and instead play dumb covers and Bobby Jean for starters ... :)

Bruce has a deeper catalog than U2, so I hold him to a higher standard. Plus, I just like U2 better, but it annoys me when people compare the two. U2 are not the technically gifted musicians that Bruce and the ESB are, and Bruce does NOT do as good as he could accommodating fans. He's just as guilty as overplaying warhorses as anyone.
Er.. Neither Bruce is a technically gifted musician. His guitar skills (we are talking about technique, not sense of melody) are plain average and he does not sing better than Bono.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:11:02 PM by Edgedisciple »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »
This tour is just another example of why you can never trust what comes out of Bono's mouth.  Remember all the hype beforehand about how each show would be divided between night one and night two?  And remember how the look and feel of the two shows would be so much different?  BS.  It's still the same tired old radio hits they've been banging out at concerts for thirty some years.  YAWN!  Please, U2, take some lessons from Bruce Springsteen and try to put on a new show every night.

Oh my God. Have you ever looked at a Bruce Springsteen setlist? And as we discussed yesterday, yes, Bono and Adam hinted at different nights 1 and 2, but the fans let their imaginations run away with them.

Bruce Springsteen. Please. I've seen 8 shows; it's the same 45 songs over and over again on a tour. Is each night different? Yes. It's either Working on the Highway or Bobby Jean every night. Big deal. Imagine U2 changing between Elevation and Vertigo and people acting like that's a big thing.

??? I've seen Springsteen many times and have always had some surprises and almost all the shows were different. On the Wrecking Ball tour he played over 200 different songs. The guy takes audience song requests and at the show I was at took a request for a song the band hadn't played in about 20 years. How much more can he do?

Not ignore signs for good songs and instead play dumb covers and Bobby Jean for starters ... :)

Bruce has a deeper catalog than U2, so I hold him to a higher standard. Plus, I just like U2 better, but it annoys me when people compare the two. U2 are not the technically gifted musicians that Bruce and the ESB are, and Bruce does NOT do as good as he could accommodating fans. He's just as guilty as overplaying warhorses as anyone.
Er.. Neither Bruce is a technically gifted musician. His guitar skills (we are talking about technique, not sense of melody) are plain average and he does not sing better than Bono.

But for now Bruce does shout better than Bono. It's his forte by my ears.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »

But for now Bruce does shout better than Bono. It's his forte by my ears.
His approach is a bit different, but yes, he's great at it.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »
But you can look after the casuals, & have shows with a "different feel". Just by rotating the warhorses. This is what I suggested in another thread.

Yeah true, you can't bombard the casuals with deep cuts & b-sides. But U2 has a pretty vast catalogue, with many songs know by casuals. Many of these warhorses feel old for us, so mixing it up & playing these songs on rotation would be nice. Looks like it could happen a bit (I can't believe One wasn't played).

Beautiful Day - One (courageous/crazy to leave either of these out).
WOWY - AIWIY
EBTTRT - The Fly
Pride - NYD
SBS - BTBS
Mysterious Ways - COBL
Angel of Harlem - ISHFWILF
Vertigo - Elevation (please no)
Bad - RTSS

Streets has to stay

They said in a recent interview that they gave up on the idea of two different nights because they were afraid people would have the feeling they went to the worse night.
Yeah, I know. But if you go home feeling upset after hearing;
WOWY - EBTTRT - Pride - SBS - Mysterious Ways - Angel of Harlem - Vertigo - Bad, instead of,
AIWIY - The Fly - NYD - BTBS - COBL - ISHFWILF - Elevation  - RTSS,
then there really is something wrong with you ;)

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 03:37:10 PM »
Did I say Bruce is a better singer than Bono? No. Do I think that? No. However, please don't compare U2 as MUSICIANS to the ESB. It isn't a fair comparison. U2 are more innovative and interesting in the studio, but if we are talking about pulling a 25-year-old song out of your ear after a 1-minute run through, that prize is going to the ESB every time.

I agree about rotating the warhorses. And here's my suggestion about why this set is lacking in the eyes of some, though I think it is too early to panic:

U2 are going to play new songs, and they SHOULD. Good on them for pushing their new album. God bless them for it.
U2 are going to play a certain number of hits.
U2 are going to play a certain number of fan-pleasers that are not necessarily hits.

Now, after you get past that, you have a HANDFUL of slots for rarities/album cuts/b-sides. Three or four slots, max. What any band in U2's position does with those slots is CRITICAL to the show. On 360, they nailed these slots with songs like UnFire, Miss Sarajevo, Scarlet, MLK, Zooropa, Ultra Violet, HMTMKMKM and briefly, YBR.

This tour -- so far -- is lacking those deep album cuts moments. If it were me, I would yank UTEOTW and BTBS because they were not hits, casual fans don't know them, and most anyone who has seen them once in the last 30 years has heard these already.

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 03:39:43 PM »

I think with guitar and the ESB we would be talking about Nils, not Bruce and Steve. Nils is every bit the player as The Edge. But yes, Bruce does shout louder than Bono.

But U2 has never been a band to go deep when it comes to set lists. I don't expect them at middle age to change it up now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:41:38 PM by shanep »

Edgedisciple

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »
Did I say Bruce is a better singer than Bono? No. Do I think that? No. However, please don't compare U2 as MUSICIANS to the ESB. It isn't a fair comparison. U2 are more innovative and interesting in the studio, but if we are talking about pulling a 25-year-old song out of your ear after a 1-minute run through, that prize is going to the ESB every time.
I didn't. I was referring just to Bruce. You can't compare them, because they are complete different entities which are the best at what they do. For the record, I have nothing but respect and admiration for Bruce and his band. The Rising is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »
Rotate the fan pleasers I've mentioned (9), plus 3 for the hardcores (3). That's 12 slots rotated, compared to what we've had so far (6 max?). That's definitely a good start in the right direction, & not too difficult to achieve.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »
When will people on here understand that no one outside of the US cares about Bruce Springsteen?

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 04:32:51 PM »
Honestly...

U2 fans are so entitled.

This band is touring their new record.

They are playing most of the songs off that record every night so far (at least 7 each night).

They have, in these first few shows shown quite a bit of variation compared to past U2 tours.

Don't compare U2 to other artists. They don't fit the mould. They have their own way of being.

You do not run the band! It is THEIR band. THEIR art. They will perform it the way they want. This is how things should be. We DO NOT OWN THEM. The only people who get to decide anything about U2 are the 4 members of U2. This is how it should be. You ARE NOT ENTITLED TO YOUR OWN PERSONAL U2 SHOW.

That's what playlists on our phones are for.

Seriously...

Get a grip.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 04:41:24 PM »
Honestly...

U2 fans are so entitled.

This band is touring their new record.

They are playing most of the songs off that record every night so far (at least 7 each night).

They have, in these first few shows shown quite a bit of variation compared to past U2 tours.

Don't compare U2 to other artists. They don't fit the mould. They have their own way of being.

You do not run the band! It is THEIR band. THEIR art. They will perform it the way they want. This is how things should be. We DO NOT OWN THEM. The only people who get to decide anything about U2 are the 4 members of U2. This is how it should be. You ARE NOT ENTITLED TO YOUR OWN PERSONAL U2 SHOW.

That's what playlists on our phones are for.

Seriously...

Get a grip.

LOL.  Truth! At the same time, dreaming out loud. 

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »
Im inclined to sympathise with the original poster. Apart from the new songs, which I believe should ALL get an airing at some stage of the tour, they have played stock and trade tunes that have all cropped up on previous tours, with the exception of sweetest thing, which is a real rarity.

Now, sweetest thing isn't something which jumps out at most diehard U2 fans as a very requested song. Sure, it was a hit, and I feel that's the only reason they are playing it. Why can't they play a few rarely performed deeper cuts that shows a sense of adventure and surprise?

So far this tour, we've got the new songs (great), the warhorses ( to be expected) and the stock and trade stuff that has been played multiple times on previous tours. Miracle drug was played most nights on the vertigo tour.

Hardly what you'd call adventurous or groundbreaking.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »
Just seen video footage of Bono saying the crystal ballroom will probably be played later in the tour, so I take back my above criticism and suggest they are just warming up so far. Maybe more rarities will be played later in the tour, and bono's accident has had a major effect on their plans.

Here's hoping anyway. I was really looking forward to hearing playboy mansion and one step closer, as well as All of the new stuff at some stage. It still might happen. They did mention they had rehearsed 40 odd songs, so let's see.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 05:08:55 PM »
When will people on here understand that no one outside of the US cares about Bruce Springsteen?

Maybe if that ever starts being true. Springsteen has a massive international following.