Author Topic: The complete Achtung Baby sessions?  (Read 927 times)

Offline JDW

• Babyface
The complete Achtung Baby sessions?
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »
Is there a good idea to how much of the outtakes/demos have been released from these sessions and what bootlegs cover all that ground? Thank you.

meximofo

Re: The complete Achtung Baby sessions?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »
There are 2 versions of the "Salome tapes"on the internet: the "short" version, consisting of 22 demos (different versions of the same song), and the "long" version of 7 CDs, most of them of variations of the same drum parts, bass parts, etc.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 05:25:04 AM »
There's loads of choice - but really, unless you want to hear 50 slightly different set of guitar overdubs alongside 17 minute loops of "Salome", don't bother. The best place to go is the 3CD set, which has the most compact selection of interesting material, alongside at least one version of every leaked track. On top of that, the Kindergarten disc on the 6CD+4DVD version of "Achtung Baby" is essential listening, and you'll probably want the soundtrack album of "Until the End Of The World".

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:01:17 AM »
I've been looking for this myself for a while now, myself. Haven't been able to find any working links anywhere.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:07:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There are 2 versions of the "Salome tapes"on the internet: the "short" version, consisting of 22 demos (different versions of the same song), and the "long" version of 7 CDs, most of them of variations of the same drum parts, bass parts, etc.

uhhhh...theres a version that ONLY includes the 22 Salome demos? embarassing..

yea when you find this, remember, it's just demos. you aren't gonna find any full on unheard "new" songs. just snippets and ideas and studio talking. i think heaven and hell from the AB box set is on Salome, maybe one other? but like Oh, Berlin, Down All the Days, etc. aren't on there.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »

uhhhh...theres a version that ONLY includes the 22 Salome demos? embarassing..

yea when you find this, remember, it's just demos. you aren't gonna find any full on unheard "new" songs. just snippets and ideas and studio talking. i think heaven and hell from the AB box set is on Salome, maybe one other? but like Oh, Berlin, Down All the Days, etc. aren't on there.

This isn't really the case. There's loads of material that's 85-90% finished b-side standard material in the midst of far too many overdub guitar tapes of Salome. In no small order, I made a collection that runs :

Heaven And Hell
Sunset In Colours
Chances Away
Until the End Of The World (albeit version from the UTEOTW soundtrack version)
I Feel Free
Jitterbug Baby
Fly With The Spinning Head
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
The Real Thing (instrumental)
Go To Get Together (Salome)
Wake Up Dead Man
Someone
Sweet Baby Jane
Back Mask
Take Today
Going Down South
Salome
Back Mask U2 (version 2)
Doctor Doctor
She's Gonna Your Head Around
Acrobat

alongside extra takes of :
Salome, Sunset In Colours, Morning Child (Wild Horses), I Feel Free, Sweet Baby Jane, Take You Down (Fly With the Spinning Head), Where Did It All Go Wrong, Jitterbug Baby, Chance Away, Take Today

---

of these, Salome, Where Did It All Go Wrong came out with hardly any alterations.
I Feel Free sits on the UTEOTW riff.
Fly With The Spinning Head became two seperate songs.
Take Today eventually became North And South of The River.

A few of the rest came out of the AB box set reissue (She's Gonna Blow Your House Down, for starters), and I'm sure that if the tapes *hadn't* leaked, we probably would have had less material in the rarities section and probably not had "Kindergarten" at all. There's no great lost U2 album in here, but plenty of OK to decent B-side level tracks that remind me of stuff like Luminous Times and Walk To The Water.. all of which could easily have made a Zooropa bonus disc very healthily.

Offline Spaderholic

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »

This isn't really the case. There's loads of material that's 85-90% finished b-side standard material in the midst of far too many overdub guitar tapes of Salome. In no small order, I made a collection that runs :

Heaven And Hell
Sunset In Colours
Chances Away
I Feel Free
Jitterbug Baby
Wake Up Dead Man
Someone
Sweet Baby Jane
Back Mask
Take Today
Going Down South
Salome
Back Mask U2 (version 2)
Doctor Doctor

Acrobat

of these, Salome, Where Did It All Go Wrong came out with hardly any alterations.

I know this is an old thread but I was just looking at the list above and I don't know half the songs mentioned! Clearly they were only on the Super-Deluxe/Uber-Deluxe box set versions of the 20th Anniversary edition of Achtung Baby, of which there was no way I could afford to buy! Is there nowhere to hear these songs unless you have the box set, does anyone know? I had a look on YouTube, in case some of the songs are on there but I only found a couple. The ones I've highlighted in bold I'm particularly interested in hearing. Are they original U2 compositions or covers of old songs? Are they totally unique songs or songs that became other U2 songs that ended up on AB or on b'sides? Also, is there anywhere I can hear the full "Baby Kindergarten" version of AB? I've found 4 of the songs (EBTTRT, One, WGRYWH and Ultraviolet) on YouTube, I can't find any other "baby" versions. I'm so longing to hear new (new to me) U2 songs, especially from that amazing period in their career. I have the regular 2-CD deluxe edition of the album (as well as my original copy) but that's all I could afford to buy.

Also, have there ever been any demos/unreleased songs heard that were recorded during the Zooropa album recording sessions that never got released, anyone know?

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 06:31:10 PM »

Heaven And Hell
Sunset In Colours
Chances Away
I Feel Free
Jitterbug Baby
Wake Up Dead Man
Someone
Sweet Baby Jane
Back Mask
Take Today
Going Down South
Salome
Back Mask U2 (version 2)
Doctor Doctor

Acrobat

I know this is an old thread but I was just looking at the list above and I don't know half the songs mentioned! Clearly they were only on the Super-Deluxe/Uber-Deluxe box set versions of the 20th Anniversary edition of Achtung Baby, of which there was no way I could afford to buy! Is there nowhere to hear these songs unless you have the box set, does anyone know? I had a look on YouTube, in case some of the songs are on there but I only found a couple. The ones I've highlighted in bold I'm particularly interested in hearing. Are they original U2 compositions or covers of old songs? Are they totally unique songs or songs that became other U2 songs that ended up on AB or on b'sides? Also, is there anywhere I can hear the full "Baby Kindergarten" version of AB? I've found 4 of the songs (EBTTRT, One, WGRYWH and Ultraviolet) on YouTube, I can't find any other "baby" versions. I'm so longing to hear new (new to me) U2 songs, especially from that amazing period in their career. I have the regular 2-CD deluxe edition of the album (as well as my original copy) but that's all I could afford to buy.

Also, have there ever been any demos/unreleased songs heard that were recorded during the Zooropa album recording sessions that never got released, anyone know?
I have Salome: the Axtung Beibi Outtakes, which looks like this:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think that the only song missing from it is "Oh, Berlin".

Pretty sure nothing from Zooropa has ever come up... but I'd love to hear that stuff.

Offline Spaderholic

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »

Heaven And Hell
Sunset In Colours
Chances Away
I Feel Free
Jitterbug Baby
Wake Up Dead Man
Someone
Sweet Baby Jane
Back Mask
Take Today
Going Down South
Salome
Back Mask U2 (version 2)
Doctor Doctor

Acrobat

I have Salome: the Axtung Beibi Outtakes, which looks like this:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think that the only song missing from it is "Oh, Berlin".

Pretty sure nothing from Zooropa has ever come up... but I'd love to hear that stuff.

Thanks, I'll have to have a search for that.

I've just found Oh Berlin online and been listening to it. What a great song, I love it! I can't believe I've never heard it before! :)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 09:02:32 PM »
you could find a used copy of the super deluxe by now im sure.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 12:03:56 AM »
you could find a used copy of the super deluxe by now im sure.
I bought a brand new copy of the Super Deluxe on Amazon a few months ago for $109

Offline Spaderholic

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 05:51:41 PM »
All the Super Deluxe copies I've seen are well over 100 (on eBay, Amazon, etc). I don't have that kind of money, unfortunately. As for the Axtung Beibi Outtakes collection, I searched for that too and couldn't find any copies for sale apart from just one that was around 59! Again too expensive for me! The prices are ridiculous!

There must be somewhere I can hear the Kindergarten version of the album online? That's all I want to hear, I don't need the rest of the stuff from the boxed sets. There are only 4 of the Kindergarten tracks on YouTube, as I said. I tried Vimeo and Daily Motion too but nothing. I don't know where else to look. It's so frustrating! Don't tell me it's only available for rich fans to enjoy, surely?!!