Author Topic: Favorite band that opened for U2  (Read 8402 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: Favorite band that opened for U2
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »
Sorry, I have to add something here I forgot.  Patty Smith opened at Madison Square Garden on the Vertigo tour.  I didn't get to see it but I am sure it was beyond great.  Did anyone get to see it?

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 11:18:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh, singnomore, I am so jealous.  You saw The Alarm.  All the bands listed here that opened for U2 are beyond fantastic, but you are so right.  None will ever compare to the Alarm.  You haven't seen a show till you see The Alarm and U2 together.  Back in the 80's, they played together often at The Ritz in Manhattan. It just took your breath away.  I am so happy to hear Mike Peters has beat his cancer and those guys are together again.  I will check it out to see if they will get to New York.  Also, you can't forget Lone Justice in this bunch.  Maria Mc Kee went solo and moved to Dublin.  She put out some great stuff assisted by members of U2 through the years.  She has a great voice.

Mike continues to bring The Alarm to the States every couple of years or so.  He was here (including NYC) this past summer.

This version of the band does not compare to the original version in my mind, but they finally seem to be hitting their stride as a band.

I caught them opening for U2 back on the War tour on Pier 84 in NYC.  Great show.  As far as I was concerned, it was a double-bill show.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »
Of the ones I've seen, Pearl Jam and Keane were the best.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »
Mike continues to bring The Alarm to the States every couple of years or so.  He was here (including NYC) this past summer.

This version of the band does not compare to the original version in my mind, but they finally seem to be hitting their stride as a band.

I caught them opening for U2 back on the War tour on Pier 84 in NYC.  Great show.  As far as I was concerned, it was a double-bill show.

I agree I've been with the Alarm since Decleration - Mikes the only original member left but the energy they conjure up at shows - for me its when I'd love to see U2 in a small venue again - up close and personal!

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
Of the ones I saw:

Dalton Brothers
Pretenders
Pixies

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 04:50:45 AM »
Cast at Leeds Roundhay park Popmart tour . It was absolutely bucketing  it down with rain Cast came on really lifted everyone, quite ironic that one of Casts best songs was  'Sandstorm' which was the complete opposite of the weather on the day.

Also The Killers Cardiff millennium stadium Vertigo tour and stereo Mc's Leeds roundhay park ZooTv tour.

Worst by a country mile Marxman !

i remember the leeds popmart show and cast were good,the funny sight was the stage guys sweeping water off the stage while cast were still playing,seem to remember a beach ball appaering too.
i was also at cardiff and u2 had to be good that night because the killers were really good :)
id say the killers were the best ive seen although snow  patrol at manchester and croke were good to .   

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
Snow Patrol, Croke Park 2005. "Run" in the rain was hypnotic.

Offline Michael Samuelle

• Babyface
  • Michael & Nikita
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 01:56:23 AM »
I liked Gavin's new band that opened for U2 in Miami on the vertigo tour. I really enjoyed the classic "Bush" songs they played, machine head.... Gavin can really play that guitar.  8)

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 02:09:01 AM »
Snow Patrol, Croke Park 2005. "Run" in the rain was hypnotic.
yes i rememeber that night rain ,it just added to the atmosphere though:) run was always a song my wife couldn't listen to before we got married ,her being in chicago and me in uk it was just to much of an emotional song lyrically for her  .thankfully thats changed now :)

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »
Arcade Fire, Vertigo Tour (Ottawa)

daveyg

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 12:54:37 AM »
Every support band I've seen with one exception - BB King in '89 - have been complete muck right even to the point that the Golden Hoarde were booed off in Dublin in 1993 as the singer made a bit of an ass of himself on stage (strangely - the famous girls on Bono's lap pics - the guy Bono was with was the singer of that band!). Actually did they have a support band in Dublin for Pop? You know, I can't even remember!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »
Hey, daveyg, nice to hear from you. I thought we may have scared you away  ;)  How funny-Simon Carmody got booed off?!! ;D ;D ;D  I love that story.  He always seemed like a bit of a** to me. So that makes sense to me.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »
Arcade Fire, Vertigo Tour (Ottawa)

Extremely jealous.

daveyg

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 02:02:32 AM »
Hey, daveyg, nice to hear from you. I thought we may have scared you away  ;)  How funny-Simon Carmody got booed off?!! ;D ;D ;D  I love that story.  He always seemed like a bit of a** to me. So that makes sense to me.

I've been quite busy, so, haven't had much chance to get online!!

Yeh - that was a strange support act. Simon Carmody - that's him - a name I haven't heard in quite a while!! He wasn't too plesent to the crowd who reacted appropriately!! Along with the booing, there was several hundred - maybe thosand (it was difficult to guage from where I was standing at the front of the stage) pairs of hands in the air with a single finger salute. Simon went from obnoxious to downright mental, and the band left stage shortly after. It wasn't long after (maybe weeks) the band officially broke up. I heard from one of the roadies that Larry was in the pit at the time. I wonder what he made of it.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 09:20:21 AM »
My favorite for the three shows I saw,

No Doubt ----> Gwen did an awesome job.  She really made the fans dance and enjoy the show.  She did a fantastic duet with Bono during the U2 show for What's Going On?  It actually made me a No Doubt fan

Oasis ----> Was a great performance but all Noel did was curse out the audience and the city (I was in Oakland) for not having a full stadium for them as if they were the headliners.  That moment actually really turned me off on them early in their career. 

Kings of Leon  --->  May have been better but the sound was horrendous at the show I was at.