Author Topic: Favorite band that opened for U2  (Read 8553 times)

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Favorite band that opened for U2
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »
I've seen Sugarcubes, Public Enemy, Rage Against The Machine, and PJ Harvey open for U2. I remember there were 2 possibilites for the opening act on the ZooTv tour- Public Enemy & BAD II. I was skeptical when I found out Public Enemy was going to be the opening act for the show I was going to. Wow, was I ever surprised. They were incredible!! No one that I remember was expecting the Sugarcubes to be there before Public Enemy, though. The Sugarcubes were terrible. They got booed off the stage in Dallas, as one of the male members of the Sugarcubes became quite angry that the crowd did not like their performance, and he made a reference to all Texans being fond of certain acts with livestock.. ::)

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 07:45:27 AM »
Unfortunately it has been rare that I get to the show early enough to see the warmup band.  Kings of Leon were good and Pearl Jam was excellent.  One of my favorite bands apparently was warm up band years ago-- The Bodeens.  That was before I could afford to go to concerts.

luieu2

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 07:53:52 AM »
 :Dbb king awsome

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Alarm.  Other bands have done very nice jobs (Garbage was surprisingly good), but none were The Alarm.

Glad several of you mentioned The Alarm.
Saw U2/Alarm in New Haven, War Tour
Great story here about McGuiness bellow
--
Here's my online review of that day, 6.27.83.

· I am still living off this concert, submitted by dave wainscott

Cliche and common as it is, I must say it:

This concert changed my life.

As Bono says about their foundation in Christianity, I say about this concert: "This stuff I picked up back then, I am still living off of."

Twenty some years later, there is something about the memory and experience of this night that affects me emotionally spiritually...probably every day!

i can remember almost every song, but nothing so clear as the fist few minutes when my brother and i realized: a)We thought the Alarm, who had just opened for U2, was the best concert we had seen.
As amazing as they were, U2 was a whole nother level and league.

I am aware Bono may have been extra passionate this night, as he apparently had walked the streets of New Haven earlier in the day, apologizing to folks for the previous NH concert, where he had a blowup on stage.

It seemed so short...maybe because there were two opening bands and they had to quit; maybe because any U2 concert in this era would be too short.

It wasn't quite sold out.

But the band was.

I have hardly ever celebrated as much as when they came on stage;never grieved asmuch as when Bono said "Good Night"

Already?
--------------------

But thanks to Taloussa for spotting this new article on The Alarm's website with new info
about several stops of The Alarm's tour with U2 (do read the Red Rocks entry, and the June 1 Brookly entry).  But this one caught my attention:

June 27th, 1983: The Alarm, The Coliseum, New Haven, CT

“This was the gig where we opened the show to be followed by Marshall Crenshaw… We went down so well in our set that Paul McGuiness (U2′s manager), told us to go back on for an encore and paid the union fine that was incurred by us running ‘overtime’. I don’t think Marshall Crenshaw knew what he was letting himself in for going on between The Alarm and U2.”-Mike Peters of The Alarm, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Alll these decades later, I find out it's Paul McGuiness' fault that show felt so short?(:
I love how the band...and manager...choose, and then champion and cheerlead for their  opening acts.

Offline U21978man

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
Lone justice with U2 87 tour Los Angeles!   :( ???

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »
Glasvegas absolutely blew u2 away at Croke Park in 09. They were majestic....

And of course the genius that is PJ Harvey - although i didn't see her open for u2 sadly.

Utah Saints were good too
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:45:42 AM by an tha »

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »
Florence and the Machine is amazing when on the 360 tour and honestly all three this tour were amazing for openers. Second favorite band is Mumford and sons so I wish I could have seen them on the west coast. I would like to throw a dishonorable mention to Interpol who were awful and became unheard of after 2011.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 11:57:45 AM »
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - 2017
then
Elbow - Wembley 2009

Special mention to Athlete, who opened on Vertigo tour.  Really good band, but sound got a bit lost in a stadium, so not a great show. 
I had a chance to see them at a festival a few years later, where they actually sounded better in a field.  Toward the end of their set, the audience were getting a slightly bored and shuffley. And then there was a song in the set with some 'woah-oh oh's' in it.  So being the U2 fan that I am and feeling sorry for them (x 2 - also see above) at this point, I dutifully responded with the aforementioned 'woah-oh oh's' and encouraged my friends to also join in, which they did.  And before long, and some enthusiastic arm waving later, a whole section of the crowd were joining in with us.  Lo and behold, the chorus of 'woah-oh, oh' spread through many sections of the crowd.  The band were visibly uplifted on stage and were able to finish their set on a little flourish.
I'd be happy to help them again, but they seem to have disappeared of late.  Ah well.

A little smirk for davyg who saluted & booed Simon Carmody off stage in 1993.  That's Bono's mate y'know! (still seen in Dublin together from time to time, quite possibly at the weekend coming up - around 22 July 2017 for anyone reading this in 5 years time!!).

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:01 PM »
Noel
Elbow
Snow Patrol

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »
Pixies would be my favourite, but I never got to attend a Zoo TV American show.  Of the artists I have seen: Wembley with the Pogues, Lone Justice and Lou Reed was very good.  The Stop Sellafield gig with Public Enemy, Kraftwerk and BAD II was also entertaining.  I'd say PJ Harvey on Zooropa was a highlight, but would've preferred to see her supporting U2 on the Elevation Tour.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 12:59:12 PM »
Pixies would be my favourite, but I never got to attend a Zoo TV American show.  Of the artists I have seen: Wembley with the Pogues, Lone Justice and Lou Reed was very good.  The Stop Sellafield gig with Public Enemy, Kraftwerk and BAD II was also entertaining.  I'd say PJ Harvey on Zooropa was a highlight, but would've preferred to see her supporting U2 on the Elevation Tour.

I went to Manchester on the elevation tour and it was the awful Kelis....i believe a week later in London it was the majestic Polly Jean.

Gutted!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »
Of the bands I've seen open for them, my favorites would probably be Primus, Garbage, and PJ Harvey.

Though, I'd have killed to see Pearl Jam, Oasis, or Secret Machines open for them.  Kraftwerk, too, on the Stop Sellafield gig.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 02:05:21 PM »

I went to Manchester on the elevation tour and it was the awful Kelis....i believe a week later in London it was the majestic Polly Jean.

Gutted!

I went the first night in London and I can't even remember who the support was...  My cousin went to the PJ gig and could've got me in but was too lazy to call to tell me she had complimentary tickets  :P

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »

Gutted!

I went the first night in London and I can't even remember who the support was...  My cousin went to the PJ gig and could've got me in but was too lazy to call to tell me she had complimentary tickets  :P

No christmas card for her that year...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2017, 02:15:36 PM »
I kinda like when U2 opened for U2 during SOI !!!