Author Topic: U Talkin U2 To Me? Podcast  (Read 12798 times)

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: U Talkin U2 To Me? Podcast
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »
The interview was more spontaneous. The band didn't get subjected to the standard scripted questions in which they had scripted answers for. You could tell all of them had a more relaxed vibe to them as a result. They were asked about having their own podcasts, what movies they liked, the wrapping paper discussion, etc. Where else would they have been asked these types of questions and could have fun discussions?

Offline Candysroom

• Stateless
  • Aged U2, Bruce & Bowie fan. Prone to Gavin Friday.
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2015, 01:27:17 PM »
Great fun- thanks for posting !

Offline RonnieFerg

• Babyface
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sorry, but these two dudes are not in u2s league and Maron would have been infinetly better.

Geez. Way to look a gift podcast in the mouth! A) I don't think Maron would have done a better job than this. It was so awesome to hear two fellow u2 superfans geek out about being in the room with their heroes. So much more fun than if it had been a standard interview with a normal host. B) Maron's podcast doesn't have enough Blue Turtling for my taste.

So glad the Scotts did this. So glad U2 did this. Amazing from start to finish. I really hope the guys take Adam's advice to heart. Though I love the new album, I think there's something to be said for getting inspired and just cranking an album out vs. taking years and years and obsessing over it. Really hope they go with their gut and put out Songs of Experience quickly. Also was jazzed to hear that Edge's favorite song was Running to Stand Still. Gives me hopes it may re-appear in the setlist at some point.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2015, 02:49:33 PM »
I still can't get over Bonobos' hand drawn picture of a dong.  :D (immature humor makes me laugh sometimes, give me a break)

This interview was fantastic though. Much more laid back, less standard questions, and the band seemed to really have fun with it all. Interesting to hear Adam Clay2000lbs favorite U2 songs currently include A Man and A Woman and Heartland. I'm curious if we'd ever hear either of those again. Same goes to RTSS with Thedge.

Also, really nice to hear that they have some songs nearly complete. They sound very enthusiastic about getting SOE out next year, hopefully this is the case.

Offline snailstampede

• Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »
Sorry, but these two dudes are not in u2s league and Maron would have been infinetly better.

I think it was kind of the point that they are clearly unqualified (Adam said himself that this was literally his first interview), so I feel like the "quality" of the interview isn't exactly the point. Also, Maron doesn't like U2 nearly as much as these guys (at least to my knowledge). And then we never would have gotten three episodes of "I Love Films" OR knowledge of Bono drawing them an "excitable penis". (But I am also biased since I love the podcast)

Offline trashbag

• Refugee
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2015, 07:39:10 PM »
After listening to the entire thing, I now have to go through and hear the rest of the episodes. I still can't get over the fact that Ben Wyatt himself (Adam Scott) loves U2 so much. I wonder if he and Amy Poehler ever geeked out over the band together on set. I'd like to think they did  ;D

Also, their promo for Audible near the end tickled my funny bone a lot more than expected.

Offline JCF

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »
This was a great podcast! I loved Adam's favorite 3 songs too.  A Man and A Woman is one of my absolute favorite U2 songs of all times. Pretty much knocked me off my feet when I first heard it. So glad to hear Adam call it one of his favorites!

Love that Adam rates A Man and A Woman - for me the most under rated U2 song.  I recall reading a quote in Q magazine that he was unhappy nobody ever mentions (or plays on radio) this song My view is the should have released it as a single.   The description of the new songs is exciting

Adam is awesome.

But it was certainly interesting hearing what the band considered their favorite songs!! I did love Adam's picks.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2015, 10:15:30 PM »
I adored this podcast! I've listened to them all like many of you, but the culmination of all of them eventuating in this final interview with the band was just so incredibly awesome. And they're sooooo funny Adam Scott was so funny with how he was so mortified with how nervous he was and the ramblings and poorly structured questions he had for the members at times. I thought they both did a good job though, and the band as always were great - especially nice to hear Larry in good spirits (which I'm sure he mostly is, it's just that you see him look a bit disinterested at times around media so its nice to hear him loose and cordial).

SOE 4 songs! Nice!

Offline Tuolumne

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2015, 10:30:47 PM »
It's funny how the idea that Adam has a gift wrap fetish seems almost plausible.  I like Edge's use of the 'oxbow lake' metaphor, which if it isn't his original idea, is definitely underutilized.  And Larry's explanation about why 'School of Rock' was his current favorite movie, was really sweet. 
There's quite a bit of talk in this interview and the Sirius one about The Clash which gets my hopes up that TISWYCRMN might get played.

surit87

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2015, 10:32:15 PM »
Great interview, loved the guys doing it. The t-shirts bit cracked me up.
When Bono was describing the different parts of an IE show, it seemed to me as if he was describing the final act of the show the phase where 'love and church' comes in. Looks like the Songs of Ascent part of the show?

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2015, 01:03:21 AM »
One of the new songs on SOE is going to be...

...I wouldnt mind!

Offline MisterT0m

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2015, 02:42:37 AM »

...I wouldnt mind!

How do you know ?

peterparker

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2015, 03:29:47 AM »
Nono, my bad. I wish it's gonna be. Sorry? I love that song. Would be great to hear a studio version of it.

Waffles

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2015, 04:32:52 AM »

...I wouldnt mind!

I never got into that song. It sounds way too Beatleish. I assume the first song described with the big drums would be morning after innocence. It'd make sense being first on the record coming after the last album, and it's been discussed the most

Offline Afliktor

• Babyface
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2015, 09:02:57 AM »
As a HUGE Parks and Rec fan, I had no idea Adam Scott was such a diehard U2 fan. That makes the world somehow brighter for me  ;D

ikr?! I've been rewatching Parks & Rec recently and had no idea Adam Scott was a U2 fan!  I'm telling ya, all roads lead to U2 in my life :D

Excellent interview, so cool of the boys to do it.  I'm glad Bono thinks 5 years between albums is inexcusable, lol.  And I'm super happy Adam vocalized his love for Zooropa.  Gives me hope that maybe the album will be out in 2016... whatever happens, the next two years are gonna be good for U2 fans I think.  8)