Author Topic: I'm not so sure this Tour is going to sell out...  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
I'm not so sure this Tour is going to sell out...
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »
One word = economy.  Not because u2 isn't the best live band ever, or that this album isn't great...I just get the feeling everybody is underestimating the force of the New World Economy..including u2 and it's management.  Just my opinion, I think it's going to reflect on both album sales and the Tour. The album will still be the biggest seller this year, but I think the Tour is where they're going to feel it.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: I'm not so sure this Tour is going to sell out...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »
They are actually doing something very very smart, take a look at the current issue of Hotpress:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

50 shows approx in total, 25 in Europe and 25 in the US.

Thats smart, have the big show, but scale down the number of gigs and only play the largest stadiums.
Europe has several 80,000 capacity stadiums, this will narrow down considerably the number of cities visited, this means:
Croke Park in Dublin, Nou Camp Barcelona, Wembley Stadium London, Stad Du France Paris, San Siro Milan, etc. etc.if they play 2 nights in each of these 5 cities thats 10 gone, only 15 more in Europe. Some countries may be disapointed as they can't do them all. Scandanavia is at grave risk I would think, as is Autria and Denmark.

It means we still get the big show, which I personally want to see,but the number of shows is substantially reduced.

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 03:10:38 PM »
So what kinds of places will the be coming to in the U.S.? If they're only doing arena and bigger places

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
I've always wanted to see U2 in a stadium, but I'd really prefer if they did both.

To mdewater, if they are only doing stadiums in the U.S., just think major cities (i.e. NYC, Chicago, etc.). I'm hoping they'll do more legs next year though. The article does state that there's 50 shows booked before Christmas. That's only 1 leg in Europe and 1 in the U.S. It's always possible they could take it back to arenas for a 3rd or 4th leg in 2010. I'm not counting on it, but it is something I'm hoping for.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »
These might be initial shows. If the economy improves they might go again.

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:32:26 PM »
I have every confidence that they will return in 2010 for an indoor tour, possibly prefaced by the release of the other album before years end or an EP.

Some outdoor dates in South America are a strong contender also for late this year or early next year.

I am taking (as usual) the bono comment that this album may be out later this year, with a large grain of salt, but you never know.

So indoor show fans, have patience until next year.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »
One word = economy.  Not because u2 isn't the best live band ever, or that this album isn't great...I just get the feeling everybody is underestimating the force of the New World Economy..including u2 and it's management.  Just my opinion, I think it's going to reflect on both album sales and the Tour. The album will still be the biggest seller this year, but I think the Tour is where they're going to feel it.

Arthur Fogul, their long time promoter is well aware of the economic issues  and has said they are going to carefully price the tickets with the economy in mind. In addition, all shows at least in North America will only be primarily on Friday and Saturday nights, about two shows per week. 25 shows will be finished in 12 weeks which is roughly the time from mid September to mid December.

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 06:36:24 PM »
I think the US leg will finish much earlier than mid december, from the temperture point of view !
 I see them wrapping up the US leg by late October.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 06:38:02 PM »
I have every confidence that they will return in 2010 for an indoor tour, possibly prefaced by the release of the other album before years end or an EP.

Some outdoor dates in South America are a strong contender also for late this year or early next year.

I am taking (as usual) the bono comment that this album may be out later this year, with a large grain of salt, but you never know.

So indoor show fans, have patience until next year.

Its a possibility but don't hold your breath about there being indoor shows next year. Provided the outdoor shows are a major success, its likely they will stay with that format for the rest of the tour in 2010. You can reach a larger amount of people per show with stadium shows and it saves time for the band. The only reason they stayed indoors in the USA on Vertigo was because of concerns about selling out all the shows.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 06:46:01 PM »
I think the US leg will finish much earlier than mid december, from the temperture point of view !

The Joshua Tree tour in the USA started in mid September and ended December 20, 1987 outdoors in Arizona. U2 played outdoor stadiums in Canada in early October on the Joshua Tree Tour. ZOO TV Outside Broadcast with all shows in outdoor stadiums started in mid August and did not end until November 12 in Las Vegas.

There are all kinds of cities in the United States they you can play in November and December outdoors like:

San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Atlanta
Columbia South Carolina
Tampa
Miami
Birmingham
Austin
San Antonio
Las Vegas

Plus the following cities have INDOOR Football Stadiums:

Vancouver
Toronto
Montreal
Minneapolis
Detroit
St. Louis
Indianopolis

Thats 22 cities that have stadiums and conditions that allow for a show in December.

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »
Thats interesting, (I'm learning!)is there a website with a US stadium guide.

Heres the european equivalent:

It is a bit out of date, as I note Wembley stadium in London is missing and thats about 85,000 capacity, but it will give you an idea. I was in the one in Barcelona once, mind blowingly big.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »

The Joshua Tree tour in the USA started in mid September and ended December 20, 1987 outdoors in Arizona. U2 played outdoor stadiums in Canada in early October on the Joshua Tree Tour. ZOO TV Outside Broadcast with all shows in outdoor stadiums started in mid August and did not end until November 12 in Las Vegas.

There are all kinds of cities in the United States they you can play in November and December outdoors like:

San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Atlanta
Columbia South Carolina
Tampa
Miami
Birmingham
Austin
San Antonio
Las Vegas

Vancouver
Toronto
Montreal
Minneapolis
Detroit
St. Louis
Indianopolis

Thats 22 cities that have stadiums and conditions that allow for a show in December.

I think Phoenix, New Orleans, and Dallas (with the new stadium) all have indoor stadiums as well. I'm about a 3 hour drive from Dallas, so I'd really like it if they played there. (There's no chance they would play a stadium near where I live...Arena? Possibly.)

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 10:24:48 PM »

San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Atlanta
Columbia South Carolina
Tampa
Miami
Birmingham
Austin
San Antonio
Las Vegas

Vancouver
Toronto
Montreal
Minneapolis
Detroit
St. Louis
Indianopolis

Atlanta is indoors because they'd play the Georgia Dome. 

They'd be far more likely to play in Charlotte than play in Columbia, SC. 

They could play here in Tampa in December or down in Miami.  We often are at the end of their legs.  We were in the middle of Vertigo and that was a bit odd.  We were second to last here in Tampa for Elevation.  The Tampa show for POPMart was in November.

Offline dezmaas

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 03:23:22 AM »
On the BBC yesterday, Bono said they are planning to reduce ticket prices due to the economy.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 06:13:26 AM »
That's good news. Think they are risking their finances a bit more like ZooTV and PopMart?