Author Topic: I'm not so sure this Tour is going to sell out...  (Read 6630 times)

Offline adamsmark

• Stateless
  • "I believe in the atomic bomb."
Re: I'm not so sure this Tour is going to sell out...
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »
U2 should do very nicely:

"But they hope to keep ticket prices unusually low, and they're already planning an innovative setup that will allow for 360-degree seating around the stage, which will be moved closer to the center of the field than in any other stadium show."

Source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I saw U2 live, up front for, what?, $45 last time round? With my income -- I'm not an 17-year-old scrounging for $29, as in 1987! -- and at that price, I can afford five shows easy (minus one if you include ticket surcharges, which I guess you've got to include).

If the band keeps the ticket prices low, they'll make a killing on merchandise. A concert is the only time I've been known to blow $2 on a 5 cent button I'll never wear.

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's good news. Think they are risking their finances a bit more like ZooTV and PopMart?

No.  The band won't make the same mistake on this tour that they did with Popmart and run the risk of financial ruin.

As far as "unusually low" ticket prices go, it all depends on what the band and their promoter deem "unusually low".

Price them too high, and you run the risk of playing to a half empty stadium like they did on Popmart.

Price them too low and the promoter might be angry about not making a profit on the show.

I think tickets will be in the $50 range on the low end, 75-85 dollars on the mid end (which I think will be the majority of the venue) and $250 for the top seats.

Which is very affordable given that Madonna was charging $350 for floor seats $165 for lower deck and 135 for upper deck at Dodger Stadium,

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 11:30:15 PM »
Which is very affordable given that Madonna was charging $350 for floor seats $165 for lower deck and 135 for upper deck at Dodger Stadium,

Wow really?!? That seems a bit ridiculous... I know she's a huge superstar and everything, but c'mon...... 350 bucks???

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 12:00:59 AM »
I'de pay $350 for an entire performance done form inside the lemon  ;D

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 02:48:33 AM »
I get whats being said here but that means Scotland could be at risk - mind you Murrayfiled Stadium in Edinburgh is around 75000 - yay might be ok after all!

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 03:55:42 AM »
That's good news. Think they are risking their finances a bit more like ZooTV and PopMart?

Not necessarily. 1.) They are putting the stage in the middle of the field which opens up 1/3 to 1/2 of the stadium seating that would normaly be blocked off. When you increase the number of available tickets, you can safely reduce the individual ticket prices and still wind up with the same total gross. 2.) U2 has tiered pricing of tickets which they did not have at all on ZOO TV and barely had on POPMART. There will likely be 5 different ticket prices. More Expensive tickets compensate for lower priced tickets.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 03:59:19 AM »

No.  The band won't make the same mistake on this tour that they did with Popmart and run the risk of financial ruin.

As far as "unusually low" ticket prices go, it all depends on what the band and their promoter deem "unusually low".

Price them too high, and you run the risk of playing to a half empty stadium like they did on Popmart.

Price them too low and the promoter might be angry about not making a profit on the show.

I think tickets will be in the $50 range on the low end, 75-85 dollars on the mid end (which I think will be the majority of the venue) and $250 for the top seats.

What do you think of this set up for a 70,000 capacity stadium including the field:

A) 15,000 field tickets at: $110
B) 13,750 1st Tier Lower: $90
C) 13,750 1st Tier Upper: $70
D) 13,750 2nd Tier Lower: $50
E) 13,750 2nd Tier Upper: $30

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
Terrible !!
GA Tickets are always the cheapest !!
And will be again this time .
What I hope they will do however, is make the inner circle of the GA at a higher price or available to u2.com member first.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »
Terrible !!
GA Tickets are always the cheapest !!
And will be again this time .
What I hope they will do however, is make the inner circle of the GA at a higher price or available to u2.com member first.

What do you mean by "inner circle of GA"? I understand in an arena of 18,000 that the 2,000 GA tickets are the cheapest, but it makes little economic sense when you need to sell 70,000 tickets to make the most in demand 15,000 tickets the cheapest. If you charge $50 and $70 dollars for tier 2 tickets, you made end up not selling enough of tier 2. With tickets in General Admission at only $30 dollars a ticket, you'll be losing nearly $100 dollars per ticket. It will be Ticket Scalpers dream fantasy. The end result will be show that is not soldout becauese of the higher Tier 2 ticket prices, and a total gross of for the show of only $3 million instead of $5 million.

From an economic standpoint, it makes most sense to charge the tickets strictly based on demand. Its one thing to give a gift in an arena when GA tickets are only 10% of a smaller venue of 18,000. But when your trying to sell 70,000 tickets, you have little room for error, which means all tickets should be priced strictly by the level of demand. It demands that the MAJORITY of the tickets that are in the stands far away from the stage be priced BELOW that of tickets on the field which are much closer to the stage. Otherwise, your going to see empty seats all over the 2nd tier and U2 is not going to let that happen.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »

What do you think of this set up for a 70,000 capacity stadium including the field:

Field tix will be cheapest. I'll be looking for 2-4 tix on the 50-yard line as close to the field as possible...which will probably be the most expen$ive.

If they're still doing 120 shows on this tour, that means 70 more in 2010!

#@!

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 02:10:49 PM »

Field tix will be cheapest. I'll be looking for 2-4 tix on the 50-yard line as close to the field as possible...which will probably be the most expen$ive.

If they're still doing 120 shows on this tour, that means 70 more in 2010!

#@!

Why would field tickets be the cheapest given the extra demand to sell 20,000-30,000 seats in the stands that are normally blocked by the stage, but will not be blocked this time around. From an economic and sound business perspective, your cheapest tickets MUST be the ones that are LEAST in demand. It is going to be a struggle for U2 to sell tickets on the top tier of the stadium furthest from the stage. Its going to require getting people to go to U2 concerts who have never been and are very casual in terms of their desire to go. The only way your going to get those people into those seats at the top of the stadium, is by making those tickets the cheapest.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 05:36:17 PM »
Are you serious? The GA field tix will be cheapest because a large part of U2's crowd will 1) pay more to be able to sit down on a chair and b) have a guaranteed spot so they don't have to take the whole day off and suffer through all the opening bands.

#@!

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »
Are you serious? The GA field tix will be cheapest because a large part of U2's crowd will 1) pay more to be able to sit down on a chair and b) have a guaranteed spot so they don't have to take the whole day off and suffer through all the opening bands.

#@!

I've thought about it some more, and now I'm thinking it may be like this instead:

A) 15,000 field tickets at: $45
B)   8,000 1st Tier Lower-Center: $225
C) 19,500 1st Tier Lower and Upper: $90
D) 13,750 2nd Tier Lower: $45
E) 13,750 2nd Tier Upper: $20

A) $675,000
B) $1,800,000
C) $1,755,000
D) $618,750
E) $275,000

TOTAL GROSS: $5,123,750

I remember the Police had $225 dollar ticket tier right next to a $90 ticket tier. In addition, there were actually some tickets in the stands at Police Stadium concerts that were at the $225 ticket price. With U2 putting the stage in the center of the field, I would imagine a $225 ticket section would be 4,000 one side centered on the 50 yard line, and 4,000 on the other side centered on the 50 yard line. These would be the best seats in the stands, and it does appear that there probably are 5,000 to 10,000 people in each of the big markets that would be willing and may want to pay for such tickets. Ironically, the Tier 1 ticket people(those paying $225 and $90) end up paying for 70% of the show. This allows you to keep those GA tickets at a very low price as well as the upper tier tickets which will be the most difficult to sell. I think this is more in line with reports of VERY expensive tickets and VERY cheap tickets.

daveyg

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 04:43:49 AM »
Ticket prices certainly here were getting crazy. I mean artists charging close to 100 a ticket is becoming standard here in Ireland. I find it extremely difficult to accept bands - expecially big (rich) bands like U2 justifying such costs, and am happy to see they're offering reduced prices (which in itself shows how much a rip off the 100 tickets are!!).

Tour not selling out? Love them or hate them, like the Rolling Stones, U2 will sell out and will be about the only people in Ireland running to the bank with a grin in their faces once the tour is over!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 05:00:30 AM »
You're right this tour will sell out, regardless of a recesson or not.
I reckon the ticket prices for GA will probably be around the 40-50 mark which is the going rate for top gigs but to be honest I have never really given the price a second thought as it's never been outrageous , it's U2 they tour once every four years, so my demand is pretty inelastic anyway!

But I would prefer if the tour sells out slowly this time. No mad panic like last time.
Maybe dates sell out in 2 or 3 days rather than 2 or 3 minutes!!