Author Topic: Let's rank U2's albums  (Read 4376 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Let's rank U2's albums
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
An update:

1. Achtung
2. TUF
3. Pop
4. Zooropa
5. No Line on the Horizon
6. Boy
7. The Joshua Tree
8. War
9. October
10. Songs of Innocence
11. HTDAAB
12. ATYCLB

I can't believe the TJT is 7th. Behind NLOTH.

It was the album that took U2 to hugeness and was instantly hailed as the album of the decade upon release.

It was voted number 2 in a Channel 4 top 100 albums of all time and usually features highly on greatest albums ever polls.

That is just that persons list not the overall tally.

It will be 2nd in that.....not that it should be in my view though - i find it hugely overrated

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »
my personal list:
01. Joshua Tree
02. Achtung Baby
03. Unforgettable Fire
04. S.O.I.
05. Zooropa
06. Rattle and Hum
07. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
08. All That You Can't Leave Behind
09. No Line
10. Pop
11. Boy
12. War
13. October
14. Passengers

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
1. Pop
2. Achtung Baby
3. Boy
4. War
5. Zooropa
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Passengers
8. October
9. SOI
10. Rattle & Hum
11. NLOTH
12. ATYCLB
13. The Joshua Tree
14. HTDAAB

Online popromancer

• Babyface
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »
1.pop
2.achtung baby
3.zooropa
4.how to dismantle an atomic bomb
5.the joshua tree
6.songs of innocence
7.no line on the horizon
8.the unforgettable fire
9.boy
10.all that you can't leave behind
11.war
12.rattle and hum
13.october
(14).passengers

Offline SpinettaZooropa

• Babyface
  • Even better than the real thing
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »
I know this is an unusual way of ranking albums but here it goes:
Pd: 6 onwards it means that I like the album or song.

13. All that you can't leave behind  ( The only song that doesn't thrill me is "New York" but is not a bad song. The rest....pure glory) 9.5/10
12. Achtung Baby (I don't find "Zoo Station" to be a good way to start an album, and "Trying to throw your arms around the world" doesn't fit. It has one of the best closing tracks of all time) 9/10
11. Zooropa (If "The Wanderer" wasn't on this extremely good album would be U2's best album) 8.5/10
10. The Joshua Tree (Not a bad track on it, but the last 2 ones are not at the same level as the rest. Replace them with the B-sides and you got a 11/10 album) 8.2/10
9. Pop (strangely enough I like every track on this record, even "Miami", but seems like a demo album) 8/10
8. The Unforgettable Fire (This album would've been also a 10 if "Loves comes tumbling" was in place of "4th of July and "MLK" didn't exist) 7.5/10
7. October ( I like every track on it, but it needs a much better production) 7.5/10
6. How to dismantle an atomic bomb (I know this is total nonsense but this album is mediocre, but I always find myself listening to this album very often) 7,2/10
5. Songs of Innocence (The highs are very high "Sleep like a baby tonight", "Every breaking wave", "The Troubles", but the rest are generic [6/10] songs) 7/10
4. Boy (I enjoy every track on this album..very even, but songs varies between 6 and 7) 6.5/10
3. War ( Very uneven album but the highs are classic tunes. PD: If "40" wasn't on this album it would be a 7/10) 6/10
2. Rattle & Hum (The definition of uneven, but somehow I still like it) 6/10
1. No Line On The Horizon (Just mediocre, not sure if I like it or not) 5/10
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:38:46 PM by SpinettaZooropa »

Offline moostation

• Babyface
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »
Highest Tier
1. Achtung Baby (Easily. It's their masterpiece. It transcends U2. The dark, sensual flavor of Berlin twisted their uplifting sound to perfection. Every track rules)
2. Zooropa (This confirms for me that this was the best, most interesting U2. Alive, searching, filled with contradictions. They never tried this hard again)
3. The Unforgettable Fire (Exploratory, atmospheric, melodic and arresting. These are words that describe classics. The Edge never sounded better imo)
4. War (Their best "direct," non-Eno/Lanois album by some margin. Still Post-Punk and sounding legitimately angry. Gets the blood pumping like no other U2 album)

High Tier
5. The Joshua Tree (You can get deep in the sound of this one but I think the "American" style is a little corny and outdated. Praises to Eno/Lanois, and the last run of songs is unbeatable)
6. Boy (A beautiful, pure Post-Punk album. Nothing more needs to be said)

Middle Tier
7. Pop (A few huge missteps marred this really profound album. Bono's best lyrics, and the back 1/2 is their best album side)
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind (This album has a beautiful sound and lots of soul, but it planted the seeds for generic U2. This is where Bono's lyrics started to get real spotty)
9. October (Gets too much flak for an album that's mostly an infectious balance between Boy and War. The title track is one of my favorite instrumentals)

Low Tier
10. No Line on the Horizon (2/3 intriguing-to-masterclass tracks, 1/3 generic sh**)

Lowest Tier
11. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Just... boring. Caricature U2. Generic except for several gems. Vertigo? Wtf)
12. Songs of Innocence (Trash-U2. Completely throwaway with the exception of "The Troubles" and nightmarish "SLABT")

'80s U2 was a great Post-Punk band that really branched out. If they broke up before Achtung they wouldn't have as sour a reputation with the hip crowd that they do now. They were incapable of truly doing wrong, and the team of Eno and Lanois really made them take off.

'90s U2 wasn't the artificial band that many claimed them to be. It was just Bono expressing himself at his age, in his maturing 30s and being confused about the world of MTV/Internet/mass entertainment. If they hadn't taken the steps they did, I imagine they'd slowly lose relevance in the same way bands like The Cure and Echo did. I admire a band willing to change for the sake of natural maturation. It's not as if they ever deviated that much from their core sound. I'm not sure the band recognized that.

'00s U2 for me is a slow decline from the wise, invested U2 of Pop to the largely infantilized caricature of today, one that seems pseudo-earnest, forced, and at odds with the mindsets of 50-something-year-old Irishmen with decades of experience. Bono somehow went from expressing his confused adult emotions of sincere hope and ironic detachment in Pop to cult-like chants for world peace, getting on boots and dressing like some sort of walking action figure. There are some beautiful moments but they're the exception in my eyes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:19:43 PM by moostation »

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2015, 11:00:43 AM »
Really tough thing to do.  I used to think this was easy because I had the warhorses 1-3 but I think as I get older and the band matures, the more recent stuff sounds better and better to me.  Still.....

1. Achtung (still the masterpiece)
2. Pop (I'm counting the revisions to the songs here, i.e., not the album version of Please).
3. JT (The first half of the album is so good but it really loses steam for me after Running....)
4. SOI (Maybe I have it too high because it's so recent, but from about track 4 on I think it's gold)
5. How To Dis (just a couple rocky songs; the rest is some of their best and most consistent)
6. Boy (pretty amazing to me how often I still listen to this, especially considering how little I listen to October and War).
7. R&H (All I Want Is You is probably the best U2 song outside of One imo).
8. All You Can't (loses steam fast but the first half is brilliant).
9. No Line (Feels like it should be higher because of Mag, MOS, Boots, and Breathe, but still a little uneven for me).
10. War (Drowning Man and everything else).
11. Zooropa (I listen to it a lot but none of it rises to the same highs as elsewhere).
12. TUF (Track 2 and Track 7.)
13. October (I listen to this album about once/three years.)

Offline Swimming Sorrows

• Stateless
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
Here's an updated list:
14 Pop
13 Achtung Baby
12 The Unforgettable Fire
11 The Joshua Tree
10 Songs of Innocence
9   Zooropa
8  All that You Can’t Leave Behind
7  No Line on the Horizon
6  Boy
5  How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
4  War
3  October
2  Original Soundtracks 1
1  Rattle & Hum

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Zooropa
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. SOI
7. Boy
8. War
9. R&H
10. October
11. ATYCLB
12. NLOTH
13. Original Soundtracks I
14.HTDAAB

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • I'm only hanging on to watch you go down my love
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2015, 10:20:05 PM »
I just want to say sorry to everyone for dropping the ball on these rankings - real life has kept me away.

But, wow its cool to see so much passion for U2 :)

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2015, 07:08:24 AM »
1. Zooropa
2. Pop
3. No Line On The Horizon
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Songs Of Innocence

Most of the rest of their albums are of a similar level of merit to me, so I don't bother trying to differentiate them quality-wise. Of those albums, I listen to October, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, and Original Soundtracks much more than the rest combined. That should not be read as me saying that they're "better" than, say, Achtung Baby or whatever. I just like listening to them more.

...and then we get to the bottom two:

13. Rattle And Hum
14. War

Well, there you have it...at least as things stand today. I'm starting to fall in love with all of R&H's studio tracks (well, other that that irredeemable lump of crap called "Love Rescue Me"), so maybe it'll be out of the basement in the future.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2015, 04:25:04 PM »
Forgot I already did this  :o

Offline The Christmas Cheese

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2015, 05:18:10 AM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. All That You Can't Leave Behind
3. Unforgettable Fire
4. The Joshua Tree
5. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
6. Boy
7. Pop
8. War
9. October
10. Zooropa
11. Songs of Innocence
12. No Line on The Horizon
13. Rattle and Hum
14. Passengers (Don't really want to count that one tho)

I'm a big fan of the All that you can't leave behind and How to dismantle era. Those are childhood memories to me. I feel like those albums get a bit underrated sometimes.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »
My great surprise here is how high TUF rates.  Very interesting to see other perspectives.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »
Amazing - achtung, ATYCLB, Joshua, unforgettable Fire.

Very good - zooropa, pop, boy

Good - October, no line, rattle & hum, bomb

Average - War

Poor - songs of innocence