Author Topic: Some of these songs should never be played again...  (Read 4682 times)

Offline adamsmark

• Stateless
  • "I believe in the atomic bomb."
Some of these songs should never be played again...
« on: February 27, 2009, 11:03:16 PM »
At the start of the Unforgettable Fire tour, Bono declared that some of the songs on the setlist would never be played again. Then, he launched into 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, which indeed has been performed sparingly since then. I'd actually like to hear it in concert. That said, there are some songs U2 should simply stop playing, either because Bono doesn't sound very fresh on them or they've just been played too much:

1. Pride -- can't think of a tour it hasn't been played; it doesn't have the same magic it once had
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday -- U2 has a lot of songs that express the sentiment, though SBS does define a U2 show
3. Mysterious Ways, The Fly, Until the End of the World, One, Bullet the Blue Sky -- simply overexposed
4. Beautiful Day, Elevation -- Quickly becoming like some of the older hits: overexposed
5. Anything from Pop -- OK, I'm simply painfully biased on this count

More importantly, I'd like the band to (a) play a huge quantity of the new material (remember, U2 played nearly every track on Acthung Baby before launching into old material, back in the day) and (b) play a lot of underperformed older stuff. If you look at my list above, that's nearly a setlist itself. Time to reboot.

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
Re: Some of these songs should never be played again...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:13:15 PM »
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!  :'(

I don't think a U2 concert would be half as epic as it is if they got rid of those songs! I haven't been to a concert yet... when I go this year, if they don't play songs like Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and One, some of their biggest hits, I'll be so disappointed!!!

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:20:10 AM »
If you said Streets I would have jumped off a cliff  ;D

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:34:42 AM »

I completely agree with your Pride comment. I also think SBS should be used sparingly.

Mysterious Ways is too great a live track to drop,as is One. I just hope Bono doesn't give us a 10 minute 'talkng to' prior to One on the next tour. For me, that actually spoilt the song.

Beautiful Day sounded great when the played it at the BBC yesterday. The Jo Whiley version contained a snippet of 'Blackbird' too, which is always welcome. I still think this song works live.

Although I'm not a big fan of Pop I'd like to see them try some of the stuff live again. It has been overlooked recently and the songs sounded better live than on the album.

I think they should also drop: Running to Stand Still, With or Without You and a whole host of Bomb material, especially City of Blinding Lights (a poor mans 'Streets' - the set is only big enough for one of them) .

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 09:40:17 AM »
Must admit wouldn't miss Beautiful day . It's had far too much exposure here in the UK ( didn't help when ITV used it as the theme to the football, that's soccer to you in the USA   ;D ) you just heard so much of it !
And not one of my favourites as well .

Offline adamsmark

• Stateless
  • "I believe in the atomic bomb."
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 09:58:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ouch, I had forgotten about this one...

No, really folks, too often a U2 show sounds like a greatest hits show. It's great that the band has so many big songs, but I've heard these so many times, I'd like to hear some others.

Offline edgecentric

• Refugee
  • Some days have bouncers and won't let you in
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
My (first!) U2 concert experience would not be complete without Streets, and I'd die a little inside if I didn't hear With Or Without You. Whatever they play beyond those two is fine by me. I have my favorites but no expectations.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »
My (first!) U2 concert experience would not be complete without Streets, and I'd die a little inside if I didn't hear With Or Without You. Whatever they play beyond those two is fine by me. I have my favorites but no expectations.

You'll get Streets. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they've played it at every single concert since they wrote it.

joegtheog

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 05:17:37 PM »
A SORT OF HOMECOMING
WIRE
BAD

UF is coming out this tour.  I can feel it.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:37:22 AM »
At the start of the Unforgettable Fire tour, Bono declared that some of the songs on the setlist would never be played again. Then, he launched into 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, which indeed has been performed sparingly since then. I'd actually like to hear it in concert. That said, there are some songs U2 should simply stop playing, either because Bono doesn't sound very fresh on them or they've just been played too much:

1. Pride -- can't think of a tour it hasn't been played; it doesn't have the same magic it once had
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday -- U2 has a lot of songs that express the sentiment, though SBS does define a U2 show
3. Mysterious Ways, The Fly, Until the End of the World, One, Bullet the Blue Sky -- simply overexposed
4. Beautiful Day, Elevation -- Quickly becoming like some of the older hits: overexposed

More importantly, I'd like the band to (a) play a huge quantity of the new material (remember, U2 played nearly every track on Acthung Baby before launching into old material, back in the day) and (b) play a lot of underperformed older stuff. If you look at my list above, that's nearly a setlist itself. Time to reboot.
i agree with most of the songs you suggest.i don't think that until the end of the world hasn't been over exposed ,it wasn't played that much on the last tour and its a great energetic live song.the problem is that the band feel that they are attracting new fans and so they probably feel that songs like pride and sbs are what they want to hear even if those of us older fans who have seen the band a few times are tired of hearing those songs !

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »

Ouch, I had forgotten about this one...

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

hurricane hugo

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
A SORT OF HOMECOMING
WIRE
BAD

UF is coming out this tour.  I can feel it.

did u even read the title of this thread, lol...

#@!

Offline Popmartian

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 04:04:13 PM »
given the last leg of the vertigo tour in 06 ended up being a greatest hits tour
as they only played 3 or 4 songs of HTDAAB
a move for u2 to remove all of their big stadium songs (street, pride etc) and play non-stadium songs on a stadium tour would make perfect sense

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »
I'll be very sad if they don't play at least 4 songs from Achtung Baby :(

But they can drop Bullet the Blue Sky and everything from HTDAAB but Vertigo and from ATYCLB but Beautiful Day & Kite, as far as I'm concerned.

Pssshh!  Like I have anything to do with their setlist! :D

Offline memusa

• Babyface
  • Chan!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »

Agree on Pride and SBS...

I still love Bullet!!! I love the band re-creates the song on every tour (fast rocker on ZOOTV, funky version on POPMART, album version on Elevation, etc), so I say no.

Specifically for this tour, I believe Achtung is extremely relevant and I see a lot of it still being played. The three you list are probably in the top 10 of best played songs live by the band and always rock the house, so I say no.

BD & Elevation, could go either way really. ATYCLB never really pulled me in, so I agree.

Anything from POP? NO WAY! I want all of POP to be played again...