Author Topic: Your favorite U2 Lyrics?  (Read 5123 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Your favorite U2 Lyrics?
« on: November 25, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »
This has probably been done before, but what are your favorite lyrics from U2 songs? Here are mine, in no order:

1. Acrobat - "Yeah, I'd join the movement, if there was one I could believe in. Yeah, I'd break bread and wine, if there was a church I could receive in."
2. Raised By Wolves - "The worst things in the world are justified by belief"
3. The Fly - "Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief."
4. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock - "We thought we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."
5. Various songs - "A Vision over Visibility"
6. UTEOTW - "I took the money, I spiked your drink. You miss too much these days if you stop to think."
7. Stay - "And if you look, you look through me. And if you talk, it's not to me. And if I touch you, you don't feel a thing."
8. The whole last verse of Cedarwood Road.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: Your favorite U2 Lyrics?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:47:30 AM »
Iris - The stars are bright but do they know, the universe is beautiful but cold.

A Sort of Homecoming - And we live by the side of the road, by the side of the hill as the valley explodes. Dislocated, suffocated, the land grows weary of its own.

&

The wind will crack in winter time
This bomb blast lightning waltz
No spoken words, just a scream.

Streets - I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside. I want to reach out and touch the flame...

Walk On - And if the darkness is to keep us apart, and if the daylight feels like it's a long way off. And if your glass heart should crack, and for a moment you turn back, oh no be strong.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »
So many great lyrics tho... Which is why I love this band!

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 12:37:57 PM »
My absolute favourite U2 lyric of all of them is:

"What once was hurt / what once was friction / what left a mark no longer stings / because grace makes beauty out of ugly things"

Offline ian ryan

• Running to Stand Still
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »
Sorry, there are a lot of U2's lyrics that I love so much. They really have reshaped the way I think about words and thought in some ways.

"The cities a flood, and our love turns to rust. We're beaten and blown by the wind, trampled in dust."

"It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest. It's no secret that ambition bites the nails of success. Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief. All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief."

"Because love is big and love is tough, but love is not what you're thinking of. Love is big, it's bigger than us, but love is not what you're thinking of. It's what lovers deal, it's what lovers steal. You know I found it hard to receive, because you, my love, I could never believe."

"From the brightest star comes the blackest hole. You had so much to offer; why did you offer your soul? I was there for you, baby, when you needed my help. Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?...With a mouth full of teeth you ate all your friends, and you broke every heart thinking every heart mends."

"Walk on, walk on. What you've got, they can't steal it. No, they can't even feel it. Walk on, walk on. What you've got, they can't deny it. Can't sell it or buy it. Walk on, walk on. Stay safe tonight."

"Jealousy, it's not what it's cracked up to be. Envy gets you where you need to be: alone. Rather the river than your stepping stones. Leave the graveyard before you turn to bones. I'm tragic, you're comedy. Oh, baby doll, the dogs are barking, they need to be fed. All of the lepers your let in your head; is it empty now?"

"Something in your eyes took a thousand years to get here...The stars are bright, but do they know? The universe is beautiful but cold."

"Dislocated, suffocated. The land grows weary of its own."

"You want heaven in your heart: the sun, the moon, and the stars."

"Neon heart, dayglo eyes. A city lit by fireflies. They're advertising in the skies for people like us."

"I've seen you walk unafraid, I've seen you in the clothes you made. Can you see the beauty inside of me? What happened to the beauty inside of me?"

And maybe my favorite two sections of lyrics of them all, concentrated into two amazing, amazing songs:

"I was drinking some wine and it turned to blood. What's the use of religion if you're any good? I know I'm weed killer, honey, and you're sugar. If you're the prosecution I get away with murder. If you were ice, I'm water. And with your telescope I can see further. We're binary code, a one and a zero. You wanted violins and you got Nero. You're gravity searching for the ground. You're silence searching for a sound. Your heart is aching, your heart is my home. It's fascinating, I know I'll never be alone."

"And I have no compass and I have no map and I have no reasons, no reasons to get back. And I have no religion and I don't know what's what and I don't know the limit, the limit of what we got. Don't worry baby, it'll be alright. You've got the right shoes to get you through the night. It's cold outside but brightly lit. Skip the subway, let's go to the overground. Get your head out of the mud baby. Put flowers in the mud, baby, overground. No particular place names, no particular song. I've been hiding; what am I hiding from? Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright. Uncertainty can be a guiding light. I hear voices, ridiculous voices. I'm in the slipstream. Let's go overground. Take your head out of the mud baby. She's going to dream up the world she wants to live in, she's going to dream out loud."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:29:45 PM by ian ryan »

Offline Connordo

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 07:42:21 PM »
There are too many to list but one that comes to mind very frequently at least for me is "Can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes and make it go away" fits so many situations, one that makes me laugh is when throughout the day, whether at work on conference calls or interacting with the general public that you here things spoken that just make you shake your head and think, "Did I just here someone say that?? :-)"

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There are too many to list but one that comes to mind very frequently at least for me is "Can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes and make it go away"

I was thinking to myself just the other day what an excellent opening line that is.

EdgeWanderer

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 11:43:39 AM »
"I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky, when the moon turns red over One Tree Hill."

"Time is a train, makes the future the past. Leaves you standing in the station, your face pressed up against the glass."

"Only love, only love can heal such a scar."

"Who's to say where the wind will take you? Who's to know what it is will break you? I don't know which way the wind will blow."

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief."

"In my dream, I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim. Surrounding me, going down on me, spilling over the brim."

"Love is big, it's bigger than us. But love is not what you're thinking of."

"There is no them, there is no them. There's only you. There's only me."

"After the flood all the colors came out."

"Yeah, I'd join the movement, if there was one I could believe in. Yeah, I'd break bread and wine, if there was a church I could receive in."

"Time won't leave me as I am. Oh, time won't tear the boy out of this man."

The entirety of Bad, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), and Where the Streets Have No Name.

Offline PopMart

• Babyface
  • You're the reason why the passion is in me
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
SYCMIOYO: "Can you, hear, me, when, I, sing! You're the reason I sing! You're the reason why the opera is in me!"

Wake Up Dead Man: "Jesus. Jesus help me. I'm alone in this world. And a f**ked up world it is too."

Discotheque: "You get confused. But you know it."

SIAMYCGOO: "I was unconscious; half asleep. The water is warm till you discover how deep. I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall. It's a long way down to nothing at all."

Stand Up Comedy: "It's like a small child crossing an 8 lane highway, on a voyage of discovery."

The Miracle: "We've got language so we can communicate. Religion so I can love and hate. Music so I can exaggerate my pain. Give it a name."

One: "Have you come here for forgiveness? Have you come to raise the dead? Have you come here to play Jesus? To the lepers in your head?"

Staring at the Sun: "There's an insect in your ear. If you scratch it won't disappear. It's gonna itch and burn and sting. You want to see what the scratching brings."

Out of Control: "I've got a big opinion it was out of control!"

Lemon: "Midnight is where the day begins"

And the entirety of "Bad", "Some Days are Better than Others", "Tryin' to Throw your Arms Around the World", and "The Fly".

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »
"I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky, when the moon turns red over One Tree Hill."

"Time is a train, makes the future the past. Leaves you standing in the station, your face pressed up against the glass."

"Only love, only love can heal such a scar."

"Who's to say where the wind will take you? Who's to know what it is will break you? I don't know which way the wind will blow."

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief."

"In my dream, I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim. Surrounding me, going down on me, spilling over the brim."

"Love is big, it's bigger than us. But love is not what you're thinking of."

"There is no them, there is no them. There's only you. There's only me."

"After the flood all the colors came out."

"Yeah, I'd join the movement, if there was one I could believe in. Yeah, I'd break bread and wine, if there was a church I could receive in."

"Time won't leave me as I am. Oh, time won't tear the boy out of this man."

The entirety of Bad, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), and Where the Streets Have No Name.
How could I have forgotten all of these? Great choices!

EdgeWanderer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 11:23:28 PM »
I forgot about good old Stay (Faraway, So Close!):

"Red light, grey morning. You stumble out of a hole in the ground. A vampire or a victim, it depends on who's around."

"And if you listen, I can't call. And if you jump, you just might fall. And if you shout, I'll only hear you."

"Three o'clock in the morning. It's quiet, there's no one around. Just the bang and the clatter as an angel runs to ground. Just the bang and the clatter as an angel hits the ground."

What a song. :)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:00:51 PM »
I forgot about good old Stay (Faraway, So Close!):

"Red light, grey morning. You stumble out of a hole in the ground. A vampire or a victim, it depends on who's around."

"And if you listen, I can't call. And if you jump, you just might fall. And if you shout, I'll only hear you."

"Three o'clock in the morning. It's quiet, there's no one around. Just the bang and the clatter as an angel runs to ground. Just the bang and the clatter as an angel hits the ground."

What a song. :)
Definitely one of their best songs. Great lyrics.

Offline Hwy 190

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 03:45:14 AM »
This is an easy one:

"You got to cry with out weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice"

No need for further posts.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:47:43 AM by Hwy 190 »

Offline riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »
I feel like trash, you make me feel clean.

Everything I've ever lost now has been returned; the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.

You're all that's left to hold on to...

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:19:59 AM by riffraff »

Offline Bogeystar

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 04:01:40 AM »
I disappeared in you
You disappeared from me
I gave you everything you ever wanted
It wasn't what you wanted

She is the avalanche
She is the thunder