Author Topic: Depeche Mode  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
Re: Depeche Mode
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My friend got me into them, I listened to Violator yesterday, and my mind was BLOWN. AWAY.

Yes! Easily one of my all-time favorite albums. There's not a bad track on it.

Check out Black Celebration, Songs of Faith and Devotion, and Ultra for more. Ultra is a pretty underrated album, but I think it's one of their bests.
Black Celebration...so good!

Boom Cha!

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 12:05:08 AM »
yea so what's a good recent <post-00> DM album? i have Black Celebration - Ultra and nothing else. i'm not that interested in the new one ive heard alot of bad things and i'm not some super fan.

Sounds Of The Universe is a really good one. Playing The Angel is well-loved by fans and critics, but I've never really gotten into that album.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 12:50:33 AM »
Just listened. I'm an old DM fan, and have found things to love on every album....with the possible exception of Delta Machine, which was their worst in decades. Luckily, the live shows were still great.

After one listen, I'm thinking they're trying to convince me Delta Machine wasn't so bad after all. This one stinks.

In all honesty, this is sort of the attitude I have about U2 these days. I'm not terribly excited for the new albums, I'm more excited for the tours since they put on a great live show. And I've still managed to find something to like on every album of theirs.

Anyway, disappointing to hear quite a few fans don't like this new DM album. I had high hopes for it. Will give it a listen and maybe I'll be one of the ones who like it.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 07:44:23 AM »
yea so what's a good recent <post-00> DM album? i have Black Celebration - Ultra and nothing else. i'm not that interested in the new one ive heard alot of bad things and i'm not some super fan.

Sounds Of The Universe is a really good one. Playing The Angel is well-loved by fans and critics, but I've never really gotten into that album.

I'd go with Playing the Angel, myself, but SotU is also pretty good. Delta Machine was my least favorite, at least until maybe this one. Exciter isn't bad...I think the production is better than anything that's come after, but the songs are a bit quieter. Goodnight Lovers, from that album, is gorgeous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 07:46:24 AM »
Just listened. I'm an old DM fan, and have found things to love on every album....with the possible exception of Delta Machine, which was their worst in decades. Luckily, the live shows were still great.

After one listen, I'm thinking they're trying to convince me Delta Machine wasn't so bad after all. This one stinks.

In all honesty, this is sort of the attitude I have about U2 these days. I'm not terribly excited for the new albums, I'm more excited for the tours since they put on a great live show. And I've still managed to find something to like on every album of theirs.

Anyway, disappointing to hear quite a few fans don't like this new DM album. I had high hopes for it. Will give it a listen and maybe I'll be one of the ones who like it.

About halfway through this album, I joked, "maybe they should just do a Violator anniversary tour." The difference being, I've already seen all but one of those songs, live.

Offline poppyann

• Elevated
  • Only U2
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »
Depeche Mode :)  What a band, love them. I've been a big fan since my younger days and they never fail to deliver great albums.  Policy of Truth and Shake the Disease are my all time favorites.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 07:27:40 PM »
Listening a second time, my opinion isn't quite as harsh as before. There's some decent stuff that might work live. There are still two tracks that almost require skipping. It's still a long way from the infectiousness of their mid 80's to mid 90's stuff.

Offline zedg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • *POP*
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:06 AM »
Recently listened to ULTRA.. haven't put that on in years..
I was just sitting, chillin and listening .. the surround sound on... miserable grey day outside.

Enjoyed it immensely. So good.
Love 'Freestate'. Flows beautifully.

The two songs Martin sings are glorious. Adore his singing/songs on this album.

Insight is a fantastic end.
I was staying at a large hostel in Berlin in 2007, me and my mate walked into the lobby/restaurant, sat down and were deciding what to do for the day. I'll never forget when Insight started playing over the speakers.. no idea if it was the radio or what.. I had been somewhat deprived of music for a few months while I traveled Europe, and it was magical to hear it randomly at that point in time.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:17 AM »
I was just sitting, chillin and listening .. the surround sound on... miserable grey day outside.

I was staying at a large hostel in Berlin in 2007, me and my mate walked into the lobby/restaurant, sat down and were deciding what to do for the day. I'll never forget when Insight started playing over the speakers.. no idea if it was the radio or what.. I had been somewhat deprived of music for a few months while I traveled Europe, and it was magical to hear it randomly at that point in time.

It's funny, when Ultra came out, it struck me as a pale shadow of SOFAD.  That may be unduly harsh, but the rock intro of Barrel of a Gun, the cosmic vibe outro of Insight, the Martin + strings element of Home all harkened back to the previous album for me.

Now, I see it as a almost a classic.  Barrel of a Gun, on some days, could be my favorite DM song.  Home is amazing--sums up their entire legacy beautifully.  There are a few lesser tracks, but it's probably their last great album.  It might also be the last time I actually ENJOYED the Martin songs on an album.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »

It's funny, when Ultra came out, it struck me as a pale shadow of SOFAD.  That may be unduly harsh, but the rock intro of Barrel of a Gun, the cosmic vibe outro of Insight, the Martin + strings element of Home all harkened back to the previous album for me.

Now, I see it as a almost a classic.  Barrel of a Gun, on some days, could be my favorite DM song.  Home is amazing--sums up their entire legacy beautifully.  There are a few lesser tracks, but it's probably their last great album.  It might also be the last time I actually ENJOYED the Martin songs on an album.

I never cared much for Ultra until recently. I revisited it (and their other albums) leading up to the release of Spirit and I was amazed at how much I loved it. Now it's up there as #2 after Violator of course.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
For fun..

1. Violator
2. Ultra
3. Songs of Faith and Devotion
4. Sounds of the Universe
5. Black Celebration
6. Some Great Reward
7. Music for the Masses
8. Exciter
9. Delta Machine
10. Construction Time Again
11. Playing the Angel
12. Speak & Spell
13. A Broken Frame

I'm not sure where to place Spirit quite yet.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »

I never cared much for Ultra until recently. I revisited it (and their other albums) leading up to the release of Spirit and I was amazed at how much I loved it. Now it's up there as #2 after Violator of course.

#2 might be a stretch for me, but it might be in the top 5. One thing about DM...much as I love them, their singles usually are the best tracks. Whereas I think U2 is a better "deep cuts" band.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:31 AM »
Ok, I'll give it a shot.  This is extremely hard, though, because even some of the worst albums have some absolute gems, and some otherwise great albums have some real stinkers.  Let's see:

1. Violator
2. Songs of Faith and Devotion
3. Some Great Reward
4. Music For the Masses
5. Ultra
6. Black Celebration
7. Playing The Angel
8. Sounds Of the Universe
9. Exciter
10. Construction Time Again
11. A Broken Frame
12. Delta Machine
13. Spirit
14. Speak & Spell

But this probably isn't even indicative of what I listen to most/least, either.  I'll put it this way: DM is one band who I'd say their greatest hits album (86-98) might be just about better than all, or most, of their catalog.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
Any other thoughts on the new album?

For me, the most damning thing of all: after two listens, I pretty much have no interest in listening to it again.

Offline zedg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • *POP*
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »
Any other thoughts on the new album?

For me, the most damning thing of all: after two listens, I pretty much have no interest in listening to it again.

Yeh, I haven't been too enthused to listen to it.. again and again... but that just may be my overall mood/feeling for that kind of music at the moment. However I am thinking it is all quite consistently mid/same-tempo. Each song seems to blend into the next. There is nothing rocking.. ..