Author Topic: Depeche Mode  (Read 1705 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Depeche Mode
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 07:49:15 PM »
so i guess ill listen to this on spotify before the concert. all i'm hearing is "blah" or "horrible". i still need to fill in some gaps before the concert in sept.

Offline zedg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • *POP*
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2017, 11:44:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Any other thoughts on the new album?

For me, the most damning thing of all: after two listens, I pretty much have no interest in listening to it again.

Yeh, I haven't been too enthused to listen to it.. again and again... but that just may be my overall mood/feeling for that kind of music at the moment. However I am thinking it is all quite consistently mid/same-tempo. Each song seems to blend into the next. There is nothing rocking.. ..

Listening to it now.. It is enjoyable. It's fine.
It suffers from the same thing as 'almost' everything DM post Wilder..

Alan's description here sums it up.. (24min in..)

Too clean sounding. Too rigid. Too much drum machine. No human groove in the rhythm which (would) gives it warmth.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2017, 07:57:38 AM »
so i guess ill listen to this on spotify before the concert. all i'm hearing is "blah" or "horrible". i still need to fill in some gaps before the concert in sept.

Yeah, the bright side is they made the Delta Machine work pretty well live on the last tour, and I'm still not a fan of the album.  So hopefully the new songs will improve at the show.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »
The new album has begun to grow on me around the 4th listen.  Still prefer a lot of the older material, but there are some classic sounding elements here.  Just give it a bit of time.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
Ugh.  Do I have to?  I'm not sure I've ever felt so uninspired by an album of theirs.  I think Delta Machine really dealt a blow to my expectations, and this didn't convince me otherwise.  There ARE a few moments I like, but I just find the songs themselves lacking.