Author Topic: Radiohead suck and U2 are better band.  (Read 6223 times)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
Re: Radiohead suck and U2 are better band.
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2016, 01:15:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Radiohead had one good record.

OK Computer is one of the top 20 records of the 1990's. But I think their other work is largely drab and forgettable aside from a few standout tracks.

They don't belong in the same book as U2 let alone the same page.

Un F******* believable. Why do they need to be in the 'same book'. I love U2. I love Radiohead. They both fit nicely on my MP3 player. Side by side. Just as good as each other in their own right.

Absolutely disgraceful how narrow minded U2 fans get when it come to other musicians.

It is a trait that appears whenever a decent band is mentioned on these forums. Apparently, according to some posters, Radiohead, Coldplay, Arcade Fire, Killers, Coldplay again, Kings of Leon, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Coldplay once more, Led Zep, The Police, Muse and finally Coldplay are all big steaming pile of cr4p compared to our heroes.
We're sound with Springsteen though, he's all right he is.

It's one of the most frustrating aspects of these pages. I think some folk need to get out from under their Joshua Tree duvet, take off their Achtung Baby Slippers and go and watch and listen to what is happening in the world of music. We may tut and shake our heads at what the current fashions are or how vinyl isn't appreciated by the kids streaming their music but the reality is that there are some very talented musicians out there.

Lighting other candles does not take away the shine from your own. (Socrates or David Brent).

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • I'm only hanging on to watch you go down my love
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2016, 01:34:40 AM »
I love how I'm narrow minded because I don't think Radiohead are great.

OK, whatever. Plenty of diversity in my music collection. I like good music.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2016, 01:47:09 AM »
Person A: Makes a subjective assertion
Person B: "I disagree"
Person A: "You're so narrow minded!"

lol

Offline Bonobos

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2016, 02:10:34 AM »

OK Computer is one of the top 20 records of the 1990's. But I think their other work is largely drab and forgettable aside from a few standout tracks.

You're so so so so so wrong

Offline Bonobos

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2016, 02:15:22 AM »
For me, Radiohead are one of the few bands on the same level as U2 because of their innovation. U2, The Beatles, Radiohead, The Velvet Underground, The Smiths. That's the top 5. R.E.M are probably 6th but they have a lot of clunkers

Offline stumpy

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2016, 02:35:17 AM »

Un F******* believable. Why do they need to be in the 'same book'. I love U2. I love Radiohead. They both fit nicely on my MP3 player. Side by side. Just as good as each other in their own right.

Absolutely disgraceful how narrow minded U2 fans get when it come to other musicians.

I do agree about being narrow minded..But equally, mention that you like U2 to fans of other artists and they are more than narrow minded. U2 is the most hated band in world. I don't trash other artists that I don't get, but mention U2 and you have to endure the vitriol we've all heard a thousand times.

Offline Kite32

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 02:36:47 AM »
The only other band from Britain I consider to be great apart from U2
would be The Manic street preachers, who are not a English band as they
are from Wales. The manic street preachers had the balls to record an album in
Berlin like U2, do a live concert in Cuba, write political songs, record an album called
The holy bible and started out as heavy metal band. English band The Cure are more
inspiring then Radiohead.

Ridiculous. How does recording an album in Berlin or writing political songs or doing a concert in Cuba mean a band has 'balls'? MSP have made one good album (the holy bible) - the rest of it is musically remedial. GT isn't a metal album - it's a pi*s weak rock album that's badly produced although motorcycle emptiness has a great melody. Gold against the soul was a bit better, holy bible was great then they became as limp as post pop U2.

Offline Kite32

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 02:38:43 AM »
For me, Radiohead are one of the few bands on the same level as U2 because of their innovation. U2, The Beatles, Radiohead, The Velvet Underground, The Smiths. That's the top 5. R.E.M are probably 6th but they have a lot of clunkers

I would agree with this although out of all those bands you mention I don't think U2 are particularly innovative and never have been. Same goes for R.E.M.

Offline Kite32

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2016, 02:45:07 AM »

It is a trait that appears whenever a decent band is mentioned on these forums. Apparently, according to some posters, Radiohead, Coldplay, Arcade Fire, Killers, Coldplay again, Kings of Leon, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Coldplay once more, Led Zep, The Police, Muse and finally Coldplay are all big steaming pile of cr4p compared to our heroes.

It's one of the most frustrating aspects of these pages. I think some folk need to get out from under their Joshua Tree duvet, take off their Achtung Baby Slippers and go and watch and listen to what is happening in the world of music. We may tut and shake our heads at what the current fashions are or how vinyl isn't appreciated by the kids streaming their music but the reality is that there are some very talented musicians out there.

Lighting other candles does not take away the shine from your own. (Socrates or David Brent).

Absolutely right. If this forum is anything to go by the U2 audience is deeply musically conservative with a capital C. Although I rather suspect this forum is also at the cutting edge of the U2 audience demographic which is frightening.

Money don't make my world go round, I'm reaching out to a higher ground (Des'ree)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2016, 02:58:48 AM »

Absolutely right. If this forum is anything to go by the U2 audience is deeply musically conservative with a capital C. Although I rather suspect this forum is also at the cutting edge of the U2 audience demographic which is frightening.

A lot of U2 fans appear to be fans of the celebrity dynamic and political BS.  They'll listen to and faint over anything they release. 

Seems also there are a lot of new fans who have found Jesus in Bono, perhaps really conservative religious folks. 

It's too bad but the band have fostered this at the end of the day.

For me what is most sad and a bit frustrating is that U2 have become this political and cultural symbol largely because of these people... it's what drives the hate of non U2 fans... But here we are...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2016, 03:02:14 AM »
King of Limbs is a very good album for my money.

I happen to quite like it too. Its WAY better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB

To be fair they are very low bars we are talking about clearing here.....i could name well over 100 albums without even needing to pause to think that are miles better than both of them - probably many many more in fact.

King of Limbs is imo a good album by much stiffer yardsticks
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:07:38 AM by an tha »

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2016, 03:24:39 AM »
So... Because I don't like Radiohead I'm done kind of U2 sycophant?

So, it's somehow against the rules to not like Radiohead or something?

Lol ok

Offline Kite32

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2016, 03:39:17 AM »

A lot of U2 fans appear to be fans of the celebrity dynamic and political BS.  They'll listen to and faint over anything they release. 

Seems also there are a lot of new fans who have found Jesus in Bono, perhaps really conservative religious folks. 

It's too bad but the band have fostered this at the end of the day.

For me what is most sad and a bit frustrating is that U2 have become this political and cultural symbol largely because of these people... it's what drives the hate of non U2 fans... But here we are...

I would agree with this. A band doesn't get as big as U2 though without appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Offline Kite32

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2016, 03:45:40 AM »
King of Limbs is a very good album for my money.

I happen to quite like it too. Its WAY better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB

To be fair they are very low bars we are talking about clearing here.....i could name well over 100 albums without even needing to pause to think that are miles better than both of them - probably many many more in fact.

King of Limbs is imo a good album by much stiffer yardsticks

I would agree with this. When U2 started getting lazy they were overtaken by so many other bands. Fortunately for U2 they had already established themselves by that point and all they had to do was continue treading water.

KOL feels like more of an EP than a full album. That's said lotus flower, codex, give up the ghost and separator as are good as anything they've done. The rest of it is fantastic too but those for me are the standout tracks. Amazing live performances on that tour too.

Online DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2016, 03:49:21 AM »

He just doesn't like them, why get so angry?

I love Radiohead - OK Computer is obviously an all time classic. Kid A, The Bends, In Rainbows and Hail to the Thief I love too. Never get the fuss over Amnesiac though - it's terrible imo. But by then they had become darlings of the critics but they got away with it.

IN MY OPINION.