Author Topic: Radiohead suck and U2 are better band.  (Read 7217 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: Radiohead suck and U2 are better band.
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 fans give up! Band members of Radiohead are classically trained in music. One of radiohead band
members releases classical music albums. Thom Yorke is a world class d j who mixes records in nightclubs.
Radiohead do amazing side projects like Atoms for peace. Thom is like chef Henston and his fat duck restaurant,
Hail to Thom who is just perfect.

Yes, I think you're right.  Ordinary plebs who have not been privately educated should not even attempt to make music.  We should all stand aside and let the offspring of the rich and privileged who have been classically trained make the music we listen to.   

A little ride on the whoosh express for you there, lad...

I've met far too many actual RH fans who speak exactly like this, so it's easy to get taken in  :P

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2016, 11:03:29 AM »
Radiohead are frickin amazing

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »
Radiohead are frickin amazing

... I'm not going to get caught out twice  :P

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2016, 12:03:50 PM »
Can we simply live in a world where people enjoy both bands? Or dislike both? Or like one and not the other? Any of these is fine.  Like what you like. 

I like U2, but their musical output hasn't elevated (a pun I couldn't refrain from) me much since 1997.  Radiohead on the other hand have made compelling music for the past 16 years.  I still like U2 though and despite Bono's annoying antics (especially lately), I can separate that and enjoy their music.  From 1980-1997, that's a helluva band you got there.

I think the thing that separates them a great deal is their aspirations.  Radiohead enjoy making music and doing things on their own terms.  Record sales or Grammys never mattered to them much, if at all.  U2, while certainly never a band to shy away from lofty and immense ambitions, seem to have this obsession with competing with other artists, especially since 2000.  I for one, never cared for this approach or understood it much.  I suppose one could say, you have to think big to achieve it.  Unfortunately for U2, the quality of their music has not reflected their lofty ambitions.  Sure, they won a ton of Grammys and sold many records, but they produced the most hollow and empty music of their career.  And no, Grammys and record sales do not reflect quality.   SOI was okay, still overly polished (too many cooks in the kitchen) but some decent tracks.  On the flip side, I am very excited for Radiohead's new album and based on the potential list of songs that could be on it, it seems very promising.  Who knows though?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:23:26 PM by DK46 »

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
RH has never spoken to me and I don't really care for their music, but I don't dislike them at all- like I do Pearl Jam (but maybe I have too many friends who have ruined PJ for me, the same way I ruin U2 for them)

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2016, 03:55:36 PM »
U2 fans give up! Band members of Radiohead are classically trained in music. One of radiohead band
members releases classical music albums. Thom Yorke is a world class d j who mixes records in nightclubs.
Radiohead do amazing side projects like Atoms for peace. Thom is like chef Henston and his fat duck restaurant,

Actually this is one of your more intelligent posts. Well done!

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2016, 03:56:33 PM »
And see, Pearl Jam is perhaps the third of a series of modern bands that I like for really just being themselves (at least after the early grunge thing wore off).  And, I kind of like PJ's band members best because these days they come across as fairly happy guys who really enjoy music.  They appreciate the past and respect the present and future.  I hold all three bands on a pedestal, even if they all may be past their prime.  Unfortunately, there are a few PJ albums I could leave behind (most of their recent output).  But that isn't much different than U2 for me anyway. 

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2016, 04:46:57 PM »

Actually this is one of your more intelligent posts. Well done!
haha

Offline hoodyman2013

• Stateless
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2016, 12:17:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Unrated artist Zlad!

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2016, 01:42:04 AM »
Can we simply live in a world where people enjoy both bands? Or dislike both? Or like one and not the other? Any of these is fine.  Like what you like. 

I like U2, but their musical output hasn't elevated (a pun I couldn't refrain from) me much since 1997.  Radiohead on the other hand have made compelling music for the past 16 years.  I still like U2 though and despite Bono's annoying antics (especially lately), I can separate that and enjoy their music.  From 1980-1997, that's a helluva band you got there.

I think the thing that separates them a great deal is their aspirations.  Radiohead enjoy making music and doing things on their own terms.  Record sales or Grammys never mattered to them much, if at all.  U2, while certainly never a band to shy away from lofty and immense ambitions, seem to have this obsession with competing with other artists, especially since 2000.  I for one, never cared for this approach or understood it much.  I suppose one could say, you have to think big to achieve it.  Unfortunately for U2, the quality of their music has not reflected their lofty ambitions.  Sure, they won a ton of Grammys and sold many records, but they produced the most hallow and empty music of their career.  And no, Grammys and record sales do not reflect quality.   SOI was okay, still overly polished (too many cooks in the kitchen) but some decent tracks.  On the flip side, I am very excited for Radiohead's new album and based on the potential list of songs that could be on it, it seems very promising.  Who knows though?

Great post - for the most part I couldn't agree more with every point you made. U2 seem as interested in investing in tech companies, building big houses and hanging out with politicians as they are making music these days and it shows in the quality. ATYCLB and HTDAAB were bland and uninteresting. NLOTH while being slightly more interesting was a mess of a record and sounds unfinished. SOI took 5 years to make! 5 years to make an album???? It's not even that good. That doesn't represent a band that's hungry for it or one that has a passion for music. It's a band that's going through the motions. Meanwhile in the Radiohead camp in between Radiohead albums the band members are making records and playing live on their own terms. Still loving creativity for its own reward and on its own terms. That's why Radiohead are leagues ahead of U2 and always will be. It's a simple difference. U2 seem bored. Radiohead don't.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2016, 04:42:55 AM »
It would really be great and possibly energise the band and the fan base if u2 stopped being such creatures of habit...

Instead of album, promo tour, tour, silence until the cycle repeats....whack out an ep, go and play 10 stripped down shows over a few weeks just out of the blue.....release a download etc.

During the gap between NLOTH and SOI they could have done a short arena tour for example - playing their first two albums or something.

Their long tours i realise take time though and it isn't 5 years of inactivity between records but breaking the cycle freshens things up and can be a real aid to creativity as well.

They seem very set in their model and almost prisoners to it.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2016, 04:50:14 AM »
It would really be great and possibly energise the band and the fan base if u2 stopped being such creatures of habit...

Instead of album, promo tour, tour, silence until the cycle repeats....whack out an ep, go and play 10 stripped down shows over a few weeks just out of the blue.....release a download etc.

During the gap between NLOTH and SOI they could have done a short arena tour for example - playing their first two albums or something.

Their long tours i realise take time though and it isn't 5 years of inactivity between records but breaking the cycle freshens things up and can be a real aid to creativity as well.

They seem very set in their model and almost prisoners to it.

Can you imagine the whining of this board if they released an album without touring it across at least North American and Europe? 

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2016, 05:28:37 AM »

It's really very simple. All U2 need to do is start making great music again. Everything else including touring is irrelevant to the main point of making great music. If they start doing that all else will follow.

If U2 just copy the Radiohead model they'll be fine!

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2016, 06:16:14 AM »

It's really very simple. All U2 need to do is start making great music again. Everything else including touring is irrelevant to the main point of making great music. If they start doing that all else will follow.

You're so right. Forgot about the touring, forget about the video screens, forget about 'relevance', forget about the posturing, forget about the procrastinating ... Make a great record and everything else will fall into place afterwards.

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2016, 06:17:20 AM »
Since this thread has little to do with U2, I am moving it to the a general Music discussion board.