Author Topic: Oldest living artist you've seen?  (Read 2980 times)

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Oldest living artist you've seen?
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This question is haunting me.  It was either Neil Diamond or Barry Manilow, I know I'm too cool for school. I was racking my brain to think of something cool. I saw the Stones but not recently.

yall can use google or w/e to look up the tour then calculate the age based on the tour when you saw them.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
This question is haunting me.  It was either Neil Diamond or Barry Manilow, I know I'm too cool for school. I was racking my brain to think of something cool. I saw the Stones but not recently.

I also saw the Stones a long time ago - back when Mick Jagger was having his mid-life crisis and trying to act like he was still a teenager.  I far preferred hearing them play in Hyde Park a few years back - they've become more compelling since accepting their age and focusing on the music, rather than Mick charging around the stage poking giant inflatable props in the balls.  I hope if U2 keep going another 20 years they focus as much on their music.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2016, 06:05:25 PM »

I also saw the Stones a long time ago - back when Mick Jagger was having his mid-life crisis and trying to act like he was still a teenager.  I far preferred hearing them play in Hyde Park a few years back - they've become more compelling since accepting their age and focusing on the music, rather than Mick charging around the stage poking giant inflatable props in the balls.  I hope if U2 keep going another 20 years they focus as much on their music.

As a matter of interest which tour was that?

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2016, 06:07:21 PM »
Trying to figure out when I saw them, I see Berry cancelled a Nashville show, I think I went a few years before that show. Google isn't helping me enough.  Mom brain is real people.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2016, 06:10:49 PM »

Urban Jungle

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »

Urban Jungle

Great tour. The first of the 'modern' Stones' tours.  Why do you say Mick was having a mid-life crisis and trying to act like a teenager compared to later tours? 

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »

Urban Jungle

Great tour. The first of the 'modern' Stones' tours.  Why do you say Mick was having a mid-life crisis and trying to act like a teenager compared to later tours?

Back in the 80s Mick had released 2 solo records and was doing duets with artists like Michael Jackson, trying to have chart success with the young demographic (who watched shows like Top of the Pops).  Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle was the first Stones tour in a while but it was full of gimmicks, such as the giant inflatable rottweilers which he used a long stick to prod during Street Fighting Man, which cheapened the song.  Jagger ran around the stage pretty much the whole concert, trying to enhance the spectacle rather than focusing on his singing.  Personally I preferred the 50th anniversary shows where the focus was much more the music, but each to their own. 

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2016, 06:36:35 PM »

Urban Jungle

Back in the 80s Mick had released 2 solo records and was doing duets with artists like Michael Jackson, trying to have chart success with the young demographic (who watched shows like Top of the Pops).  Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle was the first Stones tour in a while but it was full of gimmicks, such as the giant inflatable rottweilers which he used a long stick to prod during Street Fighting Man, which cheapened the song.  Jagger ran around the stage pretty much the whole concert, trying to enhance the spectacle rather than focusing on his singing.  Personally I preferred the 50th anniversary shows where the focus was much more the music, but each to their own.

I thought his singing was very good on that tour and later tours despite 'being Mick Jagger' up on stage.  He seemed pretty mobile and physical more recently in Hyde Park and Havana.  And in the 1980s he was trying to establish a solo career and replicate the kind of success Phil Collins had as a solo star, so it was hardly a mid-life crisis, especially since the Stones had embraced videos in the 1970s and 1980s.  As I recall the inflatables were pretty popular with fans on Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2016, 06:56:20 PM »

Urban Jungle

I thought his singing was very good on that tour and later tours despite 'being Mick Jagger' up on stage.  He seemed pretty mobile and physical more recently in Hyde Park and Havana.  And in the 1980s he was trying to establish a solo career and replicate the kind of success Phil Collins had as a solo star, so it was hardly a mid-life crisis, especially since the Stones had embraced videos in the 1970s and 1980s.  As I recall the inflatables were pretty popular with fans on Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle.

I agree hes still quite physical on stage hes remarkably fit for a man of his age but there is much less running around trying to make a spectacle of himself, which usually led to him shouting the words rather than singing them.  Much of the crowd may well have liked the rottweiler skit - I think I remember hearing cheers - but I thought it degraded the song.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2016, 07:52:58 PM »
You know, I saw U2 in the nosebleed section in Chicago and it was still quite lively!  True, I helped make it that way for my section, but no one seemed to mind and several were also quite into it.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2016, 08:32:47 PM »
Trying to figure out when I saw them, I see Berry cancelled a Nashville show, I think I went a few years before that show. Google isn't helping me enough.  Mom brain is real people.

can you use wikipedia to look up all their albums and see which one it was? orrrrrr do you remember the year roughly?

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2016, 10:23:20 AM »
I saw BB King back in '02.  Not sure how old he was then, but know he's been the oldest.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2016, 12:41:10 PM »
Just a couple weeks ago I was at a concert of my first ever favourite artist from my first ever favourite band.

Band: Barclay James Harvest
Artist: John Lees
New band: John Lees' Barclay James Harvest

It was a fantastic concert.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2016, 06:49:52 PM »
The Cult - Hammersmith Odeon 2012, such a great show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2016, 06:19:29 PM »
McCartney at 73
Mavis Staples at 76
CeDell Davis, delta bluesman who plays slide with a butter knife, in his 80s.