Author Topic: Article: Why everyone hates on Bono  (Read 3779 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Article: Why everyone hates on Bono
« on: May 10, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
interesting read...

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Article: Why everyone hates on Bono
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:30:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I've never understood the hate he recieves. Oh well...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:32:13 AM »
It isn't hard to see why a lot of people dislike Bono - particularly non U2 fans.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 04:19:49 AM by an tha »

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:38:33 AM »
I reminded myself of the lyrics of God Part II, and if I'd been a grown up person at the time, I'd very likely hated Bono as well.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:13:58 AM »
He's so often misunderstood...his lyrics can be harsh and often confusing. Many lyric have double meanings...and often show the negative/evil side of things. Ya gotta know the man to understand the man!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 08:26:30 AM »
I think they hate on him because they don't like him very much.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:36:13 AM »
I just don't get the hate he receives from some people. The man puts his fame and influence to good use to help important causes and uses his fame to raise awareness about these important issues. That is to be commended, whichever way he goes about it, surely? At least he's not overly pompous about it, the way the likes of Sting is, imo! Bono has an ego, sure - Well I'm sure there aren't many rock and pop stars who don't have an ego! You have to have a certain amount of self-confidence and ego to get out there on stage as the front person of a band and perform in front of thousands of people. You'd crumble if you didn't. He's a great showman and performer.

I think he has quite a self-deprecating sense of humour, which is endearing to me. Ah well, he's not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but I personally adore the guy! :)

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »
I reminded myself of the lyrics of God Part II, and if I'd been a grown up person at the time, I'd very likely hated Bono as well.

What is wrong with the lyrics to God Part II? What am I missing? It's a song about Lennon and about hypocrisy, isn't it? Or not? I'm not sure what discussions there have been in the past about the meaning of the lyrics. I detect a lot of sarcasm throughout the lyrics. Is there a thread on here discussing this song and the lyrics? Also, I know I'm probably way behind with this (I'm always behind on everything, lol!) but I've seen mention that Bono didn't write these lyrics but that Larry Norman did, back in the 70's. Which is correct? Whoever did write the lyrics I think they're pretty clever.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:37 PM »

I love Aussie wit  8) 8) 8)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »
I think even many long time fans have a love-hate (or at least love-weariness) relationship with the front man.  Let's face it, he can be really annoying a lot of the time.

But with everything in life, it's complex, with tradeoffs.  There are pluses and minuses on his account with the public.  With some, more plus, with other, more minus.  Whatever.   

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 01:52:58 AM »
I just don't get the hate he receives from some people. The man puts his fame and influence to good use to help important causes and uses his fame to raise awareness about these important issues. That is to be commended, whichever way he goes about it, surely? At least he's not overly pompous about it, the way the likes of Sting is, imo! Bono has an ego, sure - Well I'm sure there aren't many rock and pop stars who don't have an ego! You have to have a certain amount of self-confidence and ego to get out there on stage as the front person of a band and perform in front of thousands of people. You'd crumble if you didn't. He's a great showman and performer.

I think he has quite a self-deprecating sense of humour, which is endearing to me. Ah well, he's not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but I personally adore the guy! :)

I actually laughed out loud at this 'At least he's not overly pompous about it...'

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 03:51:31 AM »

What is wrong with the lyrics to God Part II? What am I missing? It's a song about Lennon and about hypocrisy, isn't it? Or not? I'm not sure what discussions there have been in the past about the meaning of the lyrics. I detect a lot of sarcasm throughout the lyrics. Is there a thread on here discussing this song and the lyrics? Also, I know I'm probably way behind with this (I'm always behind on everything, lol!) but I've seen mention that Bono didn't write these lyrics but that Larry Norman did, back in the 70's. Which is correct? Whoever did write the lyrics I think they're pretty clever.

It's not only what he sings, but the way he sings it. Worst kind of know-it-all arrogance and protest hissy fit from someone too old to spew high-school/first year college student ideas. It's very douchey. Even douchier to drag Lennon into it. The only good line is lifted from Bruce Cockburn (the "gonna kick the darkness..." one), and it's strange cause he has good lyrics from that era too. The song's about as stupid as tacking the born again evangelist lyrics into the original version of Tomorrow.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 05:52:54 AM »

I actually laughed out loud at this 'At least he's not overly pompous about it...'

You say pompous, I say just passionate - and frustrated, lol! :)

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »
Genius happens to be misunderstood...