Author Topic: Article: Why everyone hates on Bono  (Read 2946 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
Re: Article: Why everyone hates on Bono
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
Oh, come on, now you're attacking the lyrics to "Tomorrow"?  Are there no sacred cows here? I'm serious; I thought this was for FANS!

Offline popsadie

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 01:53:48 PM »
I'm confused. The original "Tomorrow" has born again lyrics,"Jesus is coming- I'm going to be there mother." Personally, Bono is mostly endearing to me. He's a bit too much at times, but I prefer that to the all too popular cynical and too cool posture. Now that is the kind of rock star that gets on MY nerves.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 03:01:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh, come on, now you're attacking the lyrics to "Tomorrow"?  Are there no sacred cows here? I'm serious; I thought this was for FANS!

I've had an account here for a while and trust me, 75% of what gets posted is negative toward U2 and especially toward Bono. Should you point this out, you will be called a "zealot" or a "cheerleader." I took that as an insult at first, but I don't care anymore. And yeah, attacking a song like "Tomorrow" is pretty mean-spirited. I can't see bothering to be a fan of a band if you don't like or at least respect the people in it.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »

There's plenty of '80s and '90s U2 I still love (and probably a bunch of songs from the last 16 years too), but Tomorrow was a slip, along with about 80% of October, so it doesn't stand out as much as it would elsewhere, thankfully.

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
For those with ears to hear, "Tomorrow" is lovely and poignant.  But to each their own.  I'm just confused why some people are on a U2 forum if they just don't seem to get them at all.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 07:19:17 PM »
For those with ears to hear, "Tomorrow" is lovely and poignant.  But to each their own.  I'm just confused why some people are on a U2 forum if they just don't seem to get them at all.

I'm confused by that too. So much negativity for a band that we're damn lucky to still have with us, making new music, after so many years. If every album they release has at least 5 or 6 songs on it that I love then I'm more than happy. It's very rare when I like every song on an album by ANY artist, nevermind U2, so half a good album is fine by me. I'm never going to like everything an artist releases. For me U2 are still an amazing band and I can't wait to hear their next album and hopefully many more albums to come. I think they still have so much to give.

Offline Kite32

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 02:52:14 AM »

I'm confused by that too. So much negativity for a band that we're damn lucky to still have with us, making new music, after so many years. If every album they release has at least 5 or 6 songs on it that I love then I'm more than happy. It's very rare when I like every song on an album by ANY artist, nevermind U2, so half a good album is fine by me. I'm never going to like everything an artist releases. For me U2 are still an amazing band and I can't wait to hear their next album and hopefully many more albums to come. I think they still have so much to give.

It's easy to see why U2 get a lot of negative press even among 'real' fans. Personally I would rather they had stopped a few years ago than continue how they are. The apple nonsense was excruciating. I'm guessing they have contractual obligations so I think we can expect a couple more albums from them. As for slagging 'tomorrow' it's one of my favourite U2 songs but if other people don't like it then fair enough. Makes no difference to me.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 11:36:04 AM »

I've had an account here for a while and trust me, 75% of what gets posted is negative toward U2 and especially toward Bono. Should you point this out, you will be called a "zealot" or a "cheerleader." I took that as an insult at first, but I don't care anymore.

For someone who does not care you don't half like a whinge about it...

It always amuses me how people like you are pretty much always missing from the many, many interesting discussions that take place here about the band, their direction, their music past, present and future - which are often a fascinating melting pot of differing opinions and stances but almost always done with respect for what are often polar views - but then every now and then you chime in with your passive aggressive input....rather than add some cogent opinion that adds value to the discussion/provides interesting food for thought...

I don't suppose it has ever dawned on you that if you stopped 'pointing out the negativity' as you put it and added a cogent argument to the discussions then you wouldn't get called....?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:40:44 AM by an tha »

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 08:44:04 PM »

I've had an account here for a while and trust me, 75% of what gets posted is negative toward U2 and especially toward Bono. Should you point this out, you will be called a "zealot" or a "cheerleader." I took that as an insult at first, but I don't care anymore.

It always amuses me how people like you are pretty much always missing from the many, many interesting discussions that take place here about the band, their direction, their music past, present and future - which are often a fascinating melting pot of differing opinions and stances but almost always done with respect for what are often polar views - but then every now and then you chime in with your passive aggressive input....rather than add some cogent opinion that adds value to the discussion/provides interesting food for thought...

I don't suppose it has ever dawned on you that if you stopped 'pointing out the negativity' as you put it and added a cogent argument to the discussions then you wouldn't get called....?
   You are rock and roll, An Tha.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 12:59:20 AM »

I get called a fair few names/described as a fair few things....that isn't usually one of them!!

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 03:52:31 AM »

You know that Bono re-recorded Tomorrow in '96 or around that time and left out the born again fundamentalist Evangelical end-times preaching lines? I really used to love Tomorrow, but that bit is grating, and out of place in the song.

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 07:27:22 AM »
I meant it in the nicest possible way :p

I get called a fair few names/described as a fair few things....that isn't usually one of them!!

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 07:29:17 AM »
I meant it in the nicest possible way ;p

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 07:32:40 AM »
Regarding the "evangelical and end-time lyrics" or whatever, I always just took it to be Bono affirming his faith to move through grief.  In other words, not preachy, just his lived experience.  But like I said, to each his own.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 09:47:45 AM »
I meant it in the nicest possible way ;p

:)