Author Topic: Article: Why everyone hates on Bono  (Read 3777 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Article: Why everyone hates on Bono
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2016, 10:00:14 AM »
Once we get past our differences, Yanks and Brits always make great partners.  Think Churchill & Roosevelt.  Or Fleetwood Mac.  Wait a minutes, scratch that one.  Although they did have f****ing bloody "Rumours".  And "Tusk" didn't suck either, although it could have used some editing perhaps.  Like this post ;p

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh, come on, now you're attacking the lyrics to "Tomorrow"?  Are there no sacred cows here? I'm serious; I thought this was for FANS!

I've had an account here for a while and trust me, 75% of what gets posted is negative toward U2 and especially toward Bono. Should you point this out, you will be called a "zealot" or a "cheerleader." I took that as an insult at first, but I don't care anymore. And yeah, attacking a song like "Tomorrow" is pretty mean-spirited. I can't see bothering to be a fan of a band if you don't like or at least respect the people in it.
Gigarazor? Is that you?

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »
Oh, come on, now you're attacking the lyrics to "Tomorrow"?  Are there no sacred cows here? I'm serious; I thought this was for FANS!

I've had an account here for a while and trust me, 75% of what gets posted is negative toward U2 and especially toward Bono. Should you point this out, you will be called a "zealot" or a "cheerleader." I took that as an insult at first, but I don't care anymore. And yeah, attacking a song like "Tomorrow" is pretty mean-spirited. I can't see bothering to be a fan of a band if you don't like or at least respect the people in it.
Gigarazor? Is that you?

Nope. I am merely me. This is the only me that has ever been here. Although it could be fun to change my name to Zealous Cheerleader.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2016, 08:52:27 AM »
The main phrase I get from people regarding Bono, or when a U2 record is mentioned is:

"That Bono is up his own ars*, he's conceited tw**"

Now from my knowledge of Bono and U2, he is very proud, confident and has done a lot of good for Poverty and AIDS over the years. Does this simply rub people up the wrong way or maybe people are just jealous

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2016, 11:46:03 AM »
George, I've never had that reaction in America.  You must be British or Irish, I'm guessing.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2017, 03:50:39 AM »
Regarding the "evangelical and end-time lyrics" or whatever, I always just took it to be Bono affirming his faith to move through grief.  In other words, not preachy, just his lived experience.  But like I said, to each his own.

But was it his lived experience? I mean he dabbled in Christianity intensely, believed the end times around the corner, but that's just barreltop bible thumping, jarringly out of context in that song. With a Shout is not a great song either, but it is far less offensive. Fire is also a lot better in sending a charismatic Christian message. Tomorrow is far too on the nose and clunky (the last section, not the Troubles part).
He got better a couple of years later, and Magnificent is a decent psalm.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »

U2's recent excuse for not releasing their new album is a pretty good example of why people dislike U2 and bono - who cares what the bloke thinks about donald trump or brexit!!!

When I listen to drowning man or Promenade or Acrobat or tomorrow for example I don't wonder - much less care - if bono is a bloody feminist or wants to save the world. I just want to listen to a great song!

Honestly U2 have become excruciating and the advent of the internet has made them more so. That's why people dislike the bloke. It's not hard to work out!

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »
I'm a borderline anti-religious person and I absolutely love Tomorrow ... I take it as a song about his mother dying and he's grieving. I don't hear any preaching. I hear a bloke crying his heart out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
I'm a borderline anti-religious person and I absolutely love Tomorrow ... I take it as a song about his mother dying and he's grieving. I don't hear any preaching. I hear a bloke crying his heart out.

That's all I hear too - and all I want to hear.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2017, 11:07:15 AM »

Honestly U2 have become excruciating and the advent of the internet has made them more so. That's why people dislike the bloke. It's not hard to work out!

I must agree, people have always took the pi*s out of U2. Viz magazine in the U.K. have done it for decades. However since around 2000 It's got worse. Things like applying for the job of the biggest rock band on the planet, moving their taxes, iTunes incident, Blair/Bush scmoozing, Save the World/Africa events haven't done them any favours.

I cringe anytime I see a U2/Bono related article on Facebook. I know the comments will be filled with negativity.

It's cool as hell to hate U2. No matter how hard they try, most people think Bono is a c***, even a lot of the fans. That will never change.

It's sad but it's true.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »
I love Bono for all the things people hate him for.  I hope he continues to not give a f what people think and do what he wants. We only have one life to live he follows his passions and does what makes him happy and helps others in the process.  I sure wish there were more people like him out there.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2017, 11:15:57 AM »

I must agree, people have always took the pi*s out of U2. Viz magazine in the U.K. have done it for decades. However since around 2000 It's got worse. Things like applying for the job of the biggest rock band on the planet, moving their taxes, iTunes incident, Blair/Bush scmoozing, Save the World/Africa events haven't done them any favours.

I cringe anytime I see a U2/Bono related article on Facebook. I know the comments will be filled with negativity.

It's cool as hell to hate U2. No matter how hard they try, most people think Bono is a c***, even a lot of the fans. That will never change.

It's sad but it's true.

I agree - when U2 were kicking out great tunes I think people were more prepared to overlook bono being a d**k. But unfortunately the advent of social media has coincided with U2 making really uninteresting music so consequently he's becoming better known for having an opinion on everything and his business affairs than the music.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
I love Bono for all the things people hate him for. I hope he continues to not give a f what people think and do what he wants. We only have one life to live he follows his passions and does what makes him happy and helps others in the process.  I sure wish there were more people like him out there.

Bono gives a lot of 'f's' about what people think

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 03:04:37 PM »
I love Bono for all the things people hate him for. I hope he continues to not give a f what people think and do what he wants. We only have one life to live he follows his passions and does what makes him happy and helps others in the process.  I sure wish there were more people like him out there.

he wants to be liked but when he thinks he's right he's not worried about stepping on toes.  He's very smart and knows how to play both sides though. Anyway I don't think he deserves all the hate.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 03:36:06 PM »

he wants to be liked but when he thinks he's right he's not worried about stepping on toes.  He's very smart and knows how to play both sides though. Anyway I don't think he deserves all the hate.

I don't think he deserves all the hate - but i do think that he does himself no favours sometimes, that comes with the territory though with complex individuals..and bono is in my view a complex individual.