Author Topic: Rank the Britpop bands  (Read 3575 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Rank the Britpop bands
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 12:26:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does New Order count as Brit-Pop?  New Order, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, all great.

Britpop is a name banded around primarily aimed at categorising British guitar based bands in the 90's making popular hook driven records with a very uniquely British way of looking at things/lyrical lilt......New Order were formed in the early 80's and i would consider them more of a new wave band....same for Depeche Mode and Joy Division although Joy Division were even earlier and post punk.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:44:39 PM by an tha »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 12:31:03 PM »
Does New Order count as Brit-Pop?  New Order, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, all great.

they came along before Britpop started in the early '90s.

on topic: I'd put Blur and Supergrass at the top, as they each made more than 1 great album. Having said that...the 2 best Britpop albums are the first albums by Elastica and Suede.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »
Well the unwritten rules of britpop and a documentary I once watched was that it started in May '93 with blur's Modern Life Is Rubbish and ended with Oasis's awful Be Here Now album..

For me Oasis lost it after some might say and when Tony McCarrol left. After that it went a bit "Dad Rock"

Pulp did two fantastic albums  His 'n' Hers and Different Class wasn't keen on This is Hardcore though.

blur shook off the britpop thing after recording beautiful albums 97's blur, 13 and Think Tank. Plus the gorgeous Magic Whip album of 2015. 13 years after think tank.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 03:44:24 PM »
Suede's Dog Man Star is a great album. plus the last two Suede albums Bloodsports and Night thoughts and were stunning and highly recommended.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »
Not sure what is or isn't classed as Britpop but (aside from many of the bands already mentioned) I really loved Mansun, theaudience and Idlewild. Also Travis with their rockier debut album only. I have lots of great gigging memories of Travis in 1997. Stereophonics, The Manics, Catatonia - do they count as Britpop? All great bands.

Oh and a band/artist that wouldn't be classed as Britpop but came to the fore during this era is the brilliant The Divine Comedy. Neil Hannon is a musical and lyrical genius! :)

Borack

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 08:21:13 PM »
Well the unwritten rules of britpop and a documentary I once watched was that it started in May '93 with blur's Modern Life Is Rubbish and ended with Oasis's awful Be Here Now album..

For me Oasis lost it after some might say and when Tony McCarrol left. After that it went a bit "Dad Rock"

Pulp did two fantastic albums  His 'n' Hers and Different Class wasn't keen on This is Hardcore though.

blur shook off the britpop thing after recording beautiful albums 97's blur, 13 and Think Tank. Plus the gorgeous Magic Whip album of 2015. 13 years after think tank.

Thanks for the post. I don't understand the dates, but it seems a bit strange that an album could be classified as Britpop when the same band has put out prior releases that might or would not qualify.  On another note, here's a link to a compilation called "Common People" that purports to contain key Britpop tracks. If you scroll down the page to the review section, you'll see the debate (on notable omissions) challenges the quality or legitimacy of this collection too.  Keep well.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 08:41:47 PM »
Not sure what is or isn't classed as Britpop but (aside from many of the bands already mentioned) I really loved Mansun, theaudience and Idlewild. Also Travis with their rockier debut album only. I have lots of great gigging memories of Travis in 1997. Stereophonics, The Manics, Catatonia - do they count as Britpop? All great bands.

Oh and a band/artist that wouldn't be classed as Britpop but came to the fore during this era is the brilliant The Divine Comedy. Neil Hannon is a musical and lyrical genius! :)

Idlewild (best band of the '00s) and Mansun destroy all the Britpop bands...but I think they both came along too late to qualify as Britpop. Idlewild was definitely too late to that party.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 09:28:14 PM »
what is britpop anyways? i've always understood it to be uk's answer to the alternative music of the u.s.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »

Idlewild (best band of the '00s) and Mansun destroy all the Britpop bands...but I think they both came along too late to qualify as Britpop. Idlewild was definitely too late to that party.

I first saw Idlewild as a support band for - actually I can't remember who for, lol! It was around the end of 1997, if I remember correctly. I used to go to so many gigs at the Fleece and other small venues in Bristol when I lived there in the latter half of the 90's, I forget who supported whom for a lot of the gigs now! I remember seeing Muse as a support band for 3 Colours Red (remember them?) in the late 90's. Wow, they were great! Muse, I mean. Better than 3 Colours Red, who I really liked at the time.

I remember that Idlewild stole the show for me though, when I first saw them at the Fleece and I went to see them again a few times in 1998. I especially loved their music in the 90's as it was much rockier, louder, thrashier, more manic, just an all-out noise-fest, but they were so enthusiastic. So much energy. Flinging themselves around the stage like maniacs, lol! I think in their later years they mellowed out a bit too much for my liking and their musical style became more like REM-lite to me. I adore REM but I didn't want Idlewild sounding like them! Lol. I really loved their Captain mini-album and some of their early singles that didn't end up on albums, like Chandelier, plus I love their debut album Hope Is Important. Mansun I saw live several times in the 90's and early 00's. Such a great live band and their music was so adventurous and experimental. The album Six is just magnificent to me. Still one of my all-time favourite albums. Nice to see Paul Draper back with his debut solo single, after so long!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 01:38:04 AM »
what is britpop anyways? i've always understood it to be uk's answer to the alternative music of the u.s.

Simply guitar led music with a (usually) British lilt lyrically - with themes and styles removed from the grunge stuff that was coming from the US around that time...

A more eloquent description here lifted from wiki which pretty much nails it for me...

Britpop is a subgenre of pop rock and alternative rock, that originated in the UK. It describes the musical and cultural movement in the mid 1990s which emphasized "Britishness" in its music and attitude, and produced bright, catchy pop music partly in reaction to the US led grunge music and the UK's own shoegazing music scene.[1][2][3][4] The most successful bands associated with the movement are Oasis, Blur, Suede and Pulp; those groups would come to be known as its "big four".[5] Though Britpop is viewed as a marketing tool, and more of a cultural moment than a musical style or genre,[6] there are musical conventions and influences the bands grouped under the Britpop term have in common, such as showing elements from the British pop music of the Sixties, glam rock and punk rock of the Seventies, and indie pop of the Eighties in their music, attitude, and clothing. An influence they shared in particular was the Smiths whose lead singer Morrissey championed a nostalgic view of Britain. Britpop was a media driven focus on bands which emerged from the independent music scene of the early 1990s - and was associated with Cool Britannia which evoked the Swinging Sixties and the British guitar pop music of that decade.[7][8][9]

In the wake of the musical invasion into the United Kingdom of American grunge bands, new British groups such as Blur and Suede launched the movement by positioning themselves as opposing musical forces, referencing British guitar music of the past and writing about uniquely British topics and concerns. These bands were soon joined by others including Oasis, Pulp, The Verve, Supergrass, Cast, Placebo, Space, Sleeper and Elastica.

Britpop groups brought British alternative rock into the mainstream and formed the backbone of a larger British cultural movement called Cool Britannia. A chart battle between Blur and Oasis dubbed "The Battle of Britpop" brought Britpop to the forefront of the British press in 1995. By 1997, however, the movement began to slow down; many acts began to falter and broke up.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 02:42:12 AM »
I was 21 and living in Oxford when I saw blur in 1993 at reading festival bought Modernlife and just fell in love with it all. Trips to Camden and other parts of the U.K. to watch some of the bands listed. Sleeper at the Astoria was one, blur at the ally pally is another great gig I went to.

Here's is a nice little documentary called Live forever. Well worth a watch if your interested in the britpop scene

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:51:26 AM by Mark72 »

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 08:19:09 AM »
As an American, it's a bit saddening to have not really had much exposure to Britpop in the 90's.  My skewed perception, and that of many of my peers, was that Oasis was what Britpop is about, but it retrospect I think they are a poor rendition of it.

My only knowledge of Blur in the 90's was their more alternative, post-Brit-pop albums (self-titled and on).  At the time, I hated them.  I don't think it was until 2003, when I met my wife, that I had proper exposure to Blur (Modern Life, and Parklife).  And, it wasn't until the last few years that I really discovered Britpop.

I think a key thing is that "Britishness", which is something I find make The Kinks great, and is apparently a large influence on the 90's Brit-pop style.  I guess that isn't something Americans like although I suspect the reality is that is something the record labels assume Americans wouldn't like.  I also think there was a perception that Oasis were as good as Britpop would get, but when I look back at all of it, they were more pop than Britpop.

Offline Bonobos

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 09:08:11 AM »
As an American, it's a bit saddening to have not really had much exposure to Britpop in the 90's.  My skewed perception, and that of many of my peers, was that Oasis was what Britpop is about, but it retrospect I think they are a poor rendition of it.

My only knowledge of Blur in the 90's was their more alternative, post-Brit-pop albums (self-titled and on).  At the time, I hated them.  I don't think it was until 2003, when I met my wife, that I had proper exposure to Blur (Modern Life, and Parklife).  And, it wasn't until the last few years that I really discovered Britpop.

I think a key thing is that "Britishness", which is something I find make The Kinks great, and is apparently a large influence on the 90's Brit-pop style.  I guess that isn't something Americans like although I suspect the reality is that is something the record labels assume Americans wouldn't like.  I also think there was a perception that Oasis were as good as Britpop would get, but when I look back at all of it, they were more pop than Britpop.
Oasis were very conventional compared to their contemporary "rivals"

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 10:29:21 AM »

Thanks for the post. I don't understand the dates, but it seems a bit strange that an album could be classified as Britpop when the same band has put out prior releases that might or would not qualify.  On another note, here's a link to a compilation called "Common People" that purports to contain key Britpop tracks. If you scroll down the page to the review section, you'll see the debate (on notable omissions) challenges the quality or legitimacy of this collection too.  Keep well.

The documentary is called Live Forever and it is pretty damn good.  I bought in on amazon for only $5 .  I can't recall what it calls the start of Brit Pop but it says that the end was Princess Di's death which happened just a week after Oasis released their third album Be Here Now.  Her death sucked the air out of the people and killed the album essentially.  That album is still highly underrated I believe, and is most of Oasis' later albums other than Dig Out Your Soul which I didn't care for much.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 11:48:01 AM »
both Be Here Now and Dig Out Your Soul are great. Think Tank is trash.