Author Topic: Rank the Britpop bands  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
Re: Rank the Britpop bands
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
Even Noel thinks be here now is dog sh**. Listened to dig out your soul once pretty much Oasis by numbers.
Loved definitely maybe . One of the best debut albums. What's the story was ok. After that it got samey. Saw Oasis 3 times. First two times awesome but the knebworth park gig wasn't that great and I left for the coach 30 minutes towards the end( maybe it was because I was near the back)

I do love Noel's solo stuff, Hope he keeps it up.

Think Tank lacked Guitarist Graham Coxon's input except the last track, as He left due to differences and battling the booze. And Albarn was well into the Gorillaz by the time TT was realised and you could feel the gorillaz influence on the album.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:53:24 PM by Mark72 »

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 04:22:33 PM »
Noel dismisses it and Liam loves it, go figure.  I think Noel sees it as the record that was made high off his a**.  I think its pretty damn good and classic Oasis.  Dig Out Your Soul was too Beatles psychedelic rock for me.  Its really the only album i struggle to get into.  I think Heathen Chemistry is truly under appreciated.  Love it when the band is pure rock and are copying other bands instead of just copying the Beatles.
High Flying Birds is pretty great.  Apparently half of the first album was going to be on the next Oasis album.  Sure Liam is kicking himself a bit but is unable to admit it.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 04:23:42 PM »
LOL Noel thinks everything they've done minus like 2 songs is dog sh**e. His opinion doesn't matter any more than U2's does about Pop. Irrelevant.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 04:58:47 PM »
Personally, I got tired of them by time they got to Standing on the Shoulder of Giants.  Regardless of the little intricacies of each album, they started getting stale to me.  I never bought another album of theirs until later on after listening to Dig Out Your Soul and Noel Gallagher's first solo album.  I can go back now and appreciate each of their albums for their own little great aspects, but collectively, I will never rank Oasis very high as a favorite band.  First album is probably my favorite of theirs.

Another aspect (which I think I alluded to earlier in this thread) is that I since really discovered Blur, which I like quite a bit.  I don't think it's really fair to compare the two bands as they have distinct styles.  It's like those who would compare U2 to REM back in the 90's or even U2 and Radiohead now.  They are all just bands that are successful.  With Oasis and Blur, I like Blur better.  It just took nearly 20 years to figure that out.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »
Oh yeah... I appreciate the lists earlier in this thread.  It made for a great Friday at work exploring a few artists I'd never heard before on Spotify.  I've even ordered a few CD's now because of it.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 05:18:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOL Noel thinks everything they've done minus like 2 songs is dog sh**e. His opinion doesn't matter any more than U2's does about Pop. Irrelevant.

Very true , as I love U2's pop album. Noel has said in an interview he only rates DM and WTSMG and the rest is meh, Liam's tweets have been very odd lately. Tweeted that Oasis are sh**! I guess Noel isn't budging on a reunion soon.

What about beady eye? I quite liked the first album not so the second.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:24:56 PM by Mark72 »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »
eh. BE is the preferred album, but it's not memorable by ANY stretch. now Noel's 2 albums? classics.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2016, 05:31:51 PM »
first one was ok, second I loved. Saw him at the o2 a couple of years ago. Fantastic atmosphere. I think Noel has started LP no 3.

And I forgot menswear and the boo radleys..great britpop bands !

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2016, 05:49:38 PM »
Great britpop moments for me

Oasis - tv debut 1994 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Blur - advert 1993 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Suede - we are the pigs 1994 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pulp - do you remember...Jools  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Supergrass caught by the fuzz Jools You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Borack

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »
Well the unwritten rules of britpop and a documentary I once watched was that it started in May '93 with blur's Modern Life Is Rubbish and ended with Oasis's awful Be Here Now album..

For me Oasis lost it after some might say and when Tony McCarrol left. After that it went a bit "Dad Rock"

Pulp did two fantastic albums  His 'n' Hers and Different Class wasn't keen on This is Hardcore though.

blur shook off the britpop thing after recording beautiful albums 97's blur, 13 and Think Tank. Plus the gorgeous Magic Whip album of 2015. 13 years after think tank.

Thanks for the post. I don't understand the dates, but it seems a bit strange that an album could be classified as Britpop when the same band has put out prior releases that might or would not qualify.  On another note, here's a link to a compilation called "Common People" that purports to contain key Britpop tracks. If you scroll down the page to the review section, you'll see the debate (on notable omissions) challenges the quality or legitimacy of this collection too.  Keep well.

The documentary is called Live Forever and it is pretty damn good.  I bought in on amazon for only $5 .  I can't recall what it calls the start of Brit Pop but it says that the end was Princess Di's death which happened just a week after Oasis released their third album Be Here Now.  Her death sucked the air out of the people and killed the album essentially.  That album is still highly underrated I believe, and is most of Oasis' later albums other than Dig Out Your Soul which I didn't care for much.

Thank you Shankasu. I appreciate the info and will also seek out that film. If I had to rank my favorited, they'd be Blur, Suede, Cast, Pulp, James, then Oasis. I also liked Tge along pigs and Ocean Color Scene and The Lightning Seeds, though they may not qualify for the classification. Be well.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 05:30:18 PM »
Loved Kenickie back in the day! I was so in love with Lauren....still am!

Hey Punka You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:33:25 PM by Mark72 »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2016, 01:34:01 PM »
Loved Kenickie back in the day! I was so in love with Lauren....still am!

Hey Punka You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I wouldn't class Kenickie as Britpop but they were good!  Didn't know they'd made a video for Punka so thanks for posting.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2016, 04:22:14 AM »
both Be Here Now and Dig Out Your Soul are great. Think Tank is trash.
Agree. Also Don't Believe the Truth was great and had 2 UK no 1 singles (Layla and Importance of Being Idle).
However, Standing on the Shoulders of Giants and Heathen Chemistry were awful. Remember 'Little James'? Cringe-making.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2016, 04:28:28 AM »
Not sure what is or isn't classed as Britpop but (aside from many of the bands already mentioned) I really loved Mansun, theaudience and Idlewild. Also Travis with their rockier debut album only. I have lots of great gigging memories of Travis in 1997. Stereophonics, The Manics, Catatonia - do they count as Britpop? All great bands.

Oh and a band/artist that wouldn't be classed as Britpop but came to the fore during this era is the brilliant The Divine Comedy. Neil Hannon is a musical and lyrical genius! :)

Good taste! ;)

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
Bloody hell Suede's Brett Anderson is 50 today.
Good excuse to share this

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk