Author Topic: Watched Rattle And Hum last night, for the first time in years  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Watched Rattle And Hum last night, for the first time in years
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The performances, especially WOWY, Bad, Exit, SBS, etc, are fantastic!  The had a ton of energy back then!  As far the cringe-worthy moments, I guess you would have to take into account how young and (relatively) inexperienced they were back then.

For the most part the performances were good (love the WOWY), but Bono really strained his voice too much in this era on too many songs.  As if smoking wasn't bad enough.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »
The performances, especially WOWY, Bad, Exit, SBS, etc, are fantastic!  The had a ton of energy back then!  As far the cringe-worthy moments, I guess you would have to take into account how young and (relatively) inexperienced they were back then.

For the most part the performances were good (love the WOWY), but Bono really strained his voice too much in this era on too many songs.  As if smoking wasn't bad enough.
When did Bono start smoking?  I thought I heard somewhere that it was during the Zoo TV era, but I could be wrong.  Bad move for a guy blessed with such an unbelievable voice.  He did really belt it out back during the Joshua Tree era though, but at least he knew enough not to attempt Red Hill Mining Town live.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 10:19:33 PM »

When did Bono start smoking?  I thought I heard somewhere that it was during the Zoo TV era, but I could be wrong.  Bad move for a guy blessed with such an unbelievable voice.  He did really belt it out back during the Joshua Tree era though, but at least he knew enough not to attempt Red Hill Mining Town live.

I'm not the authority on this but I think it was 1986.     Heaviest was from Zoo to Popmart.  Pretty sure he was on and off for a while for Elevation and Vertigo tours.  Started back again after the back injury during 360.  Last I heard was he quit again in 2014 but I can't verify that.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 07:28:02 AM »

I'm not the authority on this but I think it was 1986.     Heaviest was from Zoo to Popmart.  Pretty sure he was on and off for a while for Elevation and Vertigo tours.  Started back again after the back injury during 360.  Last I heard was he quit again in 2014 but I can't verify that.

Just a bad decision all around.  Sure, he looked "cool" blowing smoke in front of the big Zoo TV screens, but who knows how much better shape his voice would be in now had he never touched the stuff.  I also don't think his style of singing back then lent itself to vocal longevity.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 09:35:29 PM »
Bono backstage when he is (very hazy my memory is here) telling the band something about coming in on the 2nd verse not the third verse or something like that is so cringeworthy....he sounds and acts like a proper knobhead at that time and i can imagine a lot of people would be turned off by the way he is in that moment....

Personally i find the film has few redeeming features.....i never really liked that period of u2 much though so i am a little biased.

That was Larry. Classic, control freak Larry (but hey, it takes one to know one  :D) . And in that scene, Edge was just nodding....classic, passive, agreeable Edge.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2016, 09:42:40 PM »
I'm sure I've said this before but one of the reasons I love this movie is because it gave me the U2 concert experience long before I could ever physically go to a show. I didn't grow up in the sticks - major acts were always going to a center 90 miles away from my hometown - but U2 only ever went to three Canadian cities before 1997. I finally got to see them live in 1992 in Vancouver but until I became an adult and owned a car which enabled me to drive 800 miles to see them, R&H was the closest thing I had to seeing them live.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 05:14:01 AM »
I still watch it a lot...I work out to it about once a week or so. It doesn't get old.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
I loved the "Heartland" part where they visited Elvis' home in Graceland.  Larry was such a fanboy of Elvis, all starry-eyed and sweet.  The video of the group sitting on a hill staring out at the Mississippi is great!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 07:03:04 AM »
I loved the "Heartland" part where they visited Elvis' home in Graceland.  Larry was such a fanboy of Elvis, all starry-eyed and sweet.  The video of the group sitting on a hill staring out at the Mississippi is great!
This is my favorite part! Beautiful choice of song, and nice images.

I love Rattle and Hum, and strangely it helps me enjoy and appreciate Americs more than anything specifically patriotic I've seen. Probably because it's like seeing Americs through the eyes of these people who are fascinated with it and falling in love in their own way... I admire U2's love for classic American music at the time. too bad what they were trying to do- pay tribute, try out a musical style that interested them- was misconstrued by critics.

My favorite performances are Bad, Streets, Exit, With or Without You, and my personal favorite, Sunday Bloody Sunday. Seeing that particular performance inspired me as a musician. The passion and emotion was so impressive.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 10:56:52 AM »
I'm sure I've said this before but one of the reasons I love this movie is because it gave me the U2 concert experience long before I could ever physically go to a show. I didn't grow up in the sticks - major acts were always going to a center 90 miles away from my hometown - but U2 only ever went to three Canadian cities before 1997. I finally got to see them live in 1992 in Vancouver but until I became an adult and owned a car which enabled me to drive 800 miles to see them, R&H was the closest thing I had to seeing them live.

It was my first experience with a "U2 concert", too, but I first saw it probably only a few months before I saw them first on Zoo TV.  I remember trying to figure out by the crowd shots where my seats would be.  The thing is, it was also kind of oddly "filmic" compared to a real concert.  You could see things you otherwise couldn't at a real show, everything was dramatically shot , etc.  It was somehow "bigger" than a real show, and also slower.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 07:07:42 PM »
Chill, I agree, it was neat to see them "fall in love" with America.  That was my take on it, too.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »

It was my first experience with a "U2 concert", too, but I first saw it probably only a few months before I saw them first on Zoo TV.  I remember trying to figure out by the crowd shots where my seats would be.  The thing is, it was also kind of oddly "filmic" compared to a real concert.  You could see things you otherwise couldn't at a real show, everything was dramatically shot , etc.  It was somehow "bigger" than a real show, and also slower.

True enough. Plus we got the backstage and "on the road " shots which added to the intimacy of the film.