Author Topic: Why Oh Why...  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
Why Oh Why...
« on: June 14, 2016, 07:03:44 PM »
... isn't U2-Best Of 1980-1990 on DVD, when their Best Of 1990-2000 is? I just don't understand it! Was it ever originally released on DVD and then discontinued or has it only ever been available on VHS? The U218 Videos DVD isn't much good for their 80's videos as it leaves so many of them out! Anyone know if there are any plans to release a comprehensive DVD of all their 80's videos? Plus, I wonder if they'll bring out a Best Of 2000-2010 or beyond too? So frustrating!

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo
Re: Why Oh Why...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 07:41:29 PM »
Check the new video section on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Check the new video section on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks, that's a comprehensive list. I just wish they'd release all their 80's videos on DVD though. I'd love to see them all in good quality.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »
I could swear that they did release a DVD (or perhaps it was a VHS) of the 80-90 videos when the album came out in fall of '98.  Think a friend in my dorm bought it the week it came out.  Funny that I could never find it for myself after that though.  Surely someone on here has some info on the release.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 04:36:36 PM »
I could swear that they did release a DVD (or perhaps it was a VHS) of the 80-90 videos when the album came out in fall of '98.  Think a friend in my dorm bought it the week it came out.  Funny that I could never find it for myself after that though.  Surely someone on here has some info on the release.

There are definitely still VHS copies available on Amazon and eBay but I've never seen it on DVD. It's strange they released the 1990-2000 compilation on both VHS and DVD but the 1980-1990 seemingly only on VHS. I don't get why!

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 06:24:52 PM »
Btw, does anyone know where I can see the original colour version of the video for Pride (In The Name Of Love)? I know it's on the VHS of the Unforgettable Fire collection but can't seem to find it online anywhere, only the sepia version and the Slane version.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 07:02:29 PM »

There are definitely still VHS copies available on Amazon and eBay but I've never seen it on DVD. It's strange they released the 1990-2000 compilation on both VHS and DVD but the 1980-1990 seemingly only on VHS. I don't get why!
In the four intervening years, DVD's became the standard very qucikly.

Here is the discogs listing with various editions including Laserdisc.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »

In the four intervening years, DVD's became the standard very qucikly.

Here is the discogs listing with various editions including Laserdisc.

Well, as I really wanted to have this compilation on DVD I've had to make my own version! I downloaded all the bands 80's videos from YouTube and Daily Motion, converted them to the DVD format and then burnt them onto a blank DVD in chronological order! The picture quality of some isn't that great (a little fuzzy on some) but it will have to do until an official DVD eventually is released (it has to be one day, surely?!) I also added a few of their official videos that aren't on that VHS, like Gloria, A Celebration, Two Hearts Beat As One, A Sort Of Homecoming, In God's Country and Red Hill Mining Town, so it's more comprehensive even!

I hope there'll be a DVD collection of all their 21st Century videos too, sometime. :)

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »
Personally, I doubt that they will do that. They seem to be moving towards tour retrospectives these days with IE & 360. Yeah, but making your own is cool too. You need to get U218 Videos for remastered versions of the early vids.

There has to be only a handful of studio video clips that have not been remastered or not released on DVD.

Here is Pride but VHS choppy...

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 03:21:13 AM »
Personally, I doubt that they will do that. They seem to be moving towards tour retrospectives these days with IE & 360. Yeah, but making your own is cool too. You need to get U218 Videos for remastered versions of the early vids.

There has to be only a handful of studio video clips that have not been remastered or not released on DVD.

Here is Pride but VHS choppy...

The link doesn't work, sadly. Says it's been blocked! Grrrr. Thanks anyway.

As for U218 I never bothered with it because I have the 1990-2000 DVD and there are so few of their 80's videos on U218. I guess it's still worth getting for those few videos in better quality though.

Actually, don't you think U218 is one of the worst "Best Of" compilation DVD's? For anyone who doesn't have any of their DVD's/Videos and buys it thinking it's a comprehensive collection of all their best songs/videos, there's hardly any 90's videos on it at all (only 2 or 3, I think) when (in my opinion) the 90's was their best decade!! I guess it's because the 90's is already covered in the 1990-2000 DVD but some casual fans might not know that. There isn't a single video from Pop or Zooropa on U218 and only 2 from Achtung Baby! Crazy!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 03:28:11 AM by Spaderholic »

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 07:30:39 PM »
Yeah, no one said U2 was linear.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »
Addressing the original question, I think the release of U218 made the Best Of 1980-1990 moot. 

And yes, U218 was the first official album released by U2 that I wasn't even TEMPTED to buy.  The 80-90 and 90-00 sets had the appeal of each focusing on a specific decade and the resulting sort of artistic statement that emerged--not to mention the "new" tracks.  With U218, I waited until I could finally download the "new" tracks a la cart on iTunes, without having to buy the rest of the songs yet again.

With DVDs fading in popularity, I feel like music video collections are going the way of the dinosaur.  You can get a bunch of them with deluxe album sets, and the rest will inevitably appear on YouTube.