Author Topic: Why doesnt The Larry Mullens Jnr sign anything  (Read 6171 times)

Online shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Why doesnt The Larry Mullens Jnr sign anything
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 08:51:57 PM »
I would be happy to just shake Larry's hand.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 05:15:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If getting an autograph is that important to you, and you really can't understand why someone does not want to keep doing that, I think you've got other issues.  Or unless you're 12 years old - then I think you get a pass.

This is an interesting point.

When i was a kid (about 13-16) i collected autographs, mainly footballers - getting programmes signed for example and i had a little book for autographs as well.

I then came to the conclusion that these autographs were pretty pointless to me just often barely distinguishable squiggles on paper.

There is however it seems a lucrative enough market out there for signed items and i happened across it myself when through talking to a lad in a pub one day i was offered a pretty large whack for a signed football shirt i had tucked away gathering dust somewhere....

I sold it and then also cashed in the most 'valuable' old programmes i had in a box in the attic too...

I have a friend who is really into the whole signed memorabilia thing and i take the pi*s out of him mercilessly when like he did a few weeks ago rocked up at a pub just because he knew an old England football manager was making an appearance there for some tv documentary, armed with items to get signed....he keeps them though rather than makes a few quid.

I have another friend who makes a good whack out of selling stuff he gets signed - he actually pays kids to get the stuff signed outside melwood (Liverpool FC's training ground) as the players are on their guard about signing stuff for the same old and certain faces as they know they are knocking stuff out to people who collect this stuff. He also goes to meet and greets etc to get stuff signed and knock it out later.

Like most things i suppose it takes all sorts!!

I would personally feel embarrassed asking somebody for their autograph even if i was just selling it on.

Thing is there is a very lucrative market out there for the best items....

Look at this - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Even just general 'tat' can go for good money signed programmes etc. from run of the mill games are changing hands for daft amounts to the right people!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:17:46 AM by an tha »

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »
What are you doing here in the band area with us "unhinged" people, an tha?

Oh, and Sly is here too. My goodness.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »

My name is an tha i'm your social worker!

Who called you unhinged, girl? Don't you take any notice!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:27:16 AM by an tha »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »
If getting an autograph is that important to you, and you really can't understand why someone does not want to keep doing that, I think you've got other issues.  Or unless you're 12 years old - then I think you get a pass.

I would personally feel embarrassed asking somebody for their autograph even if i was just selling it on.

Most developed adults feel this way.  But in 'The Band' world, how could you not live with signed pics of the band under you pillow every night... then you take them to U2 church on Sundays..

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 03:45:32 PM »

It's great to be here Captain Jimmy, it really is.  I thought I'd give it a try, even though I forgot my body condom somewhere back in 1996.  Anyway, thanks for letting me hang around.

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 07:42:53 AM »
The Larry Mullens Jnr should sign for his fans - he's fans have made him the man he's is

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 11:25:26 AM »
Larry is who he is, and if he doesn't feel like it so be it. He doesn't owe us fans one bit. Just be happy with Bono, Edge and Adam when they take the efford. That's just amazing.

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 09:33:34 AM »
I feel The Larry is being arrogant to his fans - he did not become a self made millionaire.

Each fan made him, has given the financial clout he has today.

Anyways The Larry is who is he maybe the Bono should give him a slap and tell to behave properly

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 10:47:43 AM »
Larry is who he is, and if he doesn't feel like it so be it. He doesn't owe us fans one bit. Just be happy with Bono, Edge and Adam when they take the efford. That's just amazing.
Yes! He's under no obligation to sign anything. I feel like any kind of personal encounter- like just saying hello to fans or even just waving or anything- is invaluable. There's no reason to be fixated specifically on the signing part or even to expect interaction- he'll do what he feels comfortable with. Respect the band! Not everything has to be significant.

Waffles

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 10:46:51 PM »
Not understanding the Larry hate. He seems the most down to Earth. He doesn't care to post on social media because he enjoys privacy. This is probably the same for meets and greets. He's probably not huge on fame and prefers to be quiet. Would the average person recognize him in the street? Nope...

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 02:51:34 AM »
I feel The Larry is being arrogant to his fans - he did not become a self made millionaire.

Each fan made him, has given the financial clout he has today.

Anyways The Larry is who is he maybe the Bono should give him a slap and tell to behave properly

The fact that fans buy CD's and other stuff, doesn't automaticaly implie they should give up their private life and do things for fans
every seccond of the day.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »
agree with the last 3 posts and this is why I said what I did in my first comments.  The sense of entitlement that surrounds the whole autograph business and those who feel they arer owed something - I just do not get it.  Now I do understand the 10 year old at the ballpark who wants his baseball card signed... that is one thing.  But an adult who pouts because their favorite musician won't autograph something?  Nope.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't think U2 owes their fans anything other than some more good music. WE owe THEM. Or, at least I owe them.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 12:13:02 AM »
Oh I'm quite confident in saying I don't owe u2 a cent...