Author Topic: Artists you used to hate and now love or respect?  (Read 919 times)

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
Artists you used to hate and now love or respect?
« on: July 03, 2016, 12:54:04 PM »
What are some artists you used to dislike that you've changed your feelings about? And why...

Offline UltravioletFry

• Babyface
  • Dagen idag er min dag!
Re: Artists you used to hate and now love or respect?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 11:12:38 AM »
This is a easy one, RAMMSTEIN

They wasn't my kind of music but then one day I heard Sonne in the television and bam.. I felt in love with them! BIG TIME

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »
I used to dislike "Alice in Chains" but grew to appreciate some of their stuff, in particular Layne's vocals.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
I thought Stone Temple Pilots were the watered down ripoffs of everything else on the radio back when they came out.  But when Tiny Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop came out I respected them as their own thing.

And although I’m embarrassed to say it, when the Beastie Boys came out, I thought they were a novelty act.  Thank God I was wrong because… well… they’re the Beastie Boys and they’re golden, Pony Boy!  What an incredible, one-of-a-kind career they had.

And this probably doesn’t qualify, and I hate to say it but I feel I’ve never really “gotten” R.E.M. as deeply as I feel as I should.  I mean, I physically own 4-5 of their albums on CD and have bought over a dozen of their individual songs on itunes…  Tons of respect, and all.  I guess that I’d say I’m a fan.  It just seems they should be a top 10 percent band for me, but they’re not.  That being said, “What’s the Frequency, Kenneth” is a top 20 song for me.     

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
Bob Dylan.  My Dad was a big fan, the harmonica playing and his voice used to aggravate me.  That was when i was a kid and teenager.  Quite like a lot of his stuff now - Blood on the tracks especially - and I certainly respect him.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 08:03:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bob Dylan.  My Dad was a big fan, the harmonica playing and his voice used to aggravate me.  That was when i was a kid and teenager.  Quite like a lot of his stuff now - Blood on the tracks especially - and I certainly respect him.

I love TOOM.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 08:19:51 AM »
I hated The Cure until I saw them live. I'll never be a fan (although I do love Disintegration), but they get maximum respect from me.

I hated Slayer until I saw them live. I'll never be a huge fan (although I do love both Reign In Blood and South Of Heaven), but they get maximum respect from me.

Offline gasface257

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
I used to not like Bruce Springsteen, but I heard a few deeper cuts and began to appreciate his talent as a songwriter. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »
Metallica.  I don't know if I ever hated them, but I didn't like metal.  I think I was being a music snob/goodie two-shoes.  I have a lot of respect for them now, and actually like quite a bit of their catalog, including their latest album.  Seeing them live last year was a big part of it.  I'm never going to be a metalhead at this point, but I've put albums of their on while working out, or just when I'm amped up.

Offline 03/9/81

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
I have never been a fan of country music. Just not my cuppa tea. However, I have the up most respect for Johnny Cash. I may not be a fan of his music, besides Ring of Fire (honestly I prefer the many covers) Folsom Prison Blues (again, I prefer the cover versions)  but I love Mr. Cash's version of NIN - Hurt. 

I have always been a huge fan with up most respect of his life. Just because you don't like some singer/performers music, doesn't mean you don't respect or admire, something spectacular about them. Him locking himself in a room to get over his drug addiction and going through open heart surgery with nothing for his pain afterwards is more than enough for not just my respect, but my most deepest admiration.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:40:05 PM by 03/9/81 »

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 12:02:51 PM »
Never got Oasis until i saw them live in 2000 and i went out and bought all of there albums at that point the next week.  Now they are my second favorite band behind u2.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »
I somewhat warmed up to Bon Jovi, if only select tracks by the band. I got both Ritchie and Jon's solo albums from the late 90s. And then, that situation happened when I felt somebody was playing a joke on me and my group of friends and "Have A Nice Day" came on the radio.

Offline 03/9/81

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I somewhat warmed up to Bon Jovi, if only select tracks by the band. I got both Ritchie and Jon's solo albums from the late 90s. And then, that situation happened when I felt somebody was playing a joke on me and my group of friends and "Have A Nice Day" came on the radio.

Sorry, no offense to them, or any of the fans, I just don't get it. I never have understood the whole big deal about them. Just, NO!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »
Bon Jovi seems like a nice guy, but just so predictable.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 03:31:25 PM »
Kings Of Leon. Based off their first two albums, I was dreading them opening for U2. I really enjoyed both of their sets that I saw, bought their second album, and got more and more into them. Now their one of my favorite bands ever.