Author Topic: Anyone feel the home page doesn't show enough updates anymore?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: Anyone feel the home page doesn't show enough updates anymore?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 12:12:13 AM »
Appreciate the discussion and feedback, marcovox (et al) and we're also aware that news has been slow of late. But I'm genuinely curious to know what you would have had us report? For example, I'm looking through the news section in the forum and I see these topics:

2016 subscriber gift: we've reported on that
Rock Hall celebration: we've reported on that and we're helping to organize it
New album 11-17: would you really expect us to report a "friend of a friend" rumor from the forum? (Remember that fake album cover that was shared in here -- wasn't that friend of a friend?) :-)
Beach clips: see below
iHeart festival: we've reported on that
COBL/Obama: don't consider that news
Bono in Nice: we were first to report that

I think you could go on and on and find that we've covered the news pretty darn well, and ignored the rumors that were worth ignoring. I'm sure we do occasionally miss stuff for whatever reason, but I don't think it's common or a trend.

Anyway, I'll try to respond to some of what's been said.

Anything directly related to music and new music, rumor or otherwise (ie Beach Clips)

We have a great track record of sharing rumors that are reliable and usually turn out to be true. I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone about that. But, for whatever reason, we've not received any good rumors from reliable sources of late. Last rumor that came in (from someone we'd never heard of) said the band's next tour would start in Miami in early September, and they'd begin rehearsals there in mid-August. Based on that one lady's Instagram post a couple months ago, it may have been the band's plan at some point -- but it obviously didn't turn out to be true and I'm glad we didn't bother passing it along.

Re: Beach Clips -- we have a history of not sharing/spreading stuff like that, and that has served us well over the years. We didn't post links to the ATYCLB clips when they leaked, the HJTDAAB clips, No Line, etc. Pretty sure everyone that's been around this forum knows our opinion about spreading/sharing files illegally. It would also probably get us in a lot of trouble if we started leaking/spreading beach clips and such because everything we do is watched and seen by people in official positions that could shut our site down immediately. I remember talking to Paul McGuinness before the 360 show in Denver and he specifically thanked us for "doing things the right way." (Apologies for name dropping.) I'm confident that one reason half the band came to our party last year is because we don't do things like spread unreleased songs.

You may be aware that several of the sites and fan groups that did post these latest beach clips had their Facebook pages shut down at least temporarily. You're probably not aware that the day the beach clips hit the web, one of Universal Music's "content enforcement officers" joined this forum. He never posted here, he never contacted me, but it was pretty obvious that was the next step. I'm told several other fan sites were contacted and asked to remove their news stories, tweets and Facebook posts linking to the clips -- we didn't get that email, but I deleted our tweet with the links to be safe.

That said, I did talk about the beach clips in my OTR column this month so if you didn't read that, you might think we ignored it altogether. Not the case. If you don't read the weekly OTR, you might be missing stuff and assuming we're not passing news along.

Maybe the people who contribute to it are just busy with their proper jobs/families etc.

That's really what it boils down to more often than not. Like, just for me personally, I'm 48 years old in a couple weeks. My son just finished high school. My daughter is entering high school. I'm well aware that my time with them is coming to an end and I won't lie to you ... it bothers me that I spent a good portion of their school years sitting here at my computer working on @U2 rather than spending time with them, helping with homework, etc. When the band was more active, I could easily spend 25 hours a week working on the site. Part of me is quite glad that's not necessary in 2016.

The other folks who do news are dealing with things of their own that you all may be aware of if you've read the various features we do ("Like A Song" and others) that involve personal reflections on U2 and the music. One of our crew is suing the state s/he lives in for mistreating his/her son in school. Another of our crew got a new job last year and is almost constantly on the road. Other members of our crew have gotten married, moved, switched jobs, had kids, watched their parents die, are dealing with sick children, dealing with sicknesses of their own, and so on and so on. Real life happens, especially since we're all adults and most now have spouses, children, etc. I can promise you that @U2 will never be more important to any of us than our families and jobs.

that didn't stop them from 1998 to 2000-and-whatever

We were all very different people in very different situations in 1998 and even through most of the 2000s.

there's Achtoon Baby, the blogs, twitter, organizing fan gatherings, the pod cast, etc.  Just 1 of those things is a significant burden to upkeep

Really? Tell me which one is a significant burden? Again, when you have people dealing with real life stuff, hobbies and fun stuff like @U2 often has to take a back seat.

Kelly has been too busy to do an Achtoon Baby since early December, 2015. Real life has gotten in the way, but I know she's working on a new one now. :-) The blogs? We have one blog and it's only had three posts so far in 2016.

Twitter's pretty easy to keep updated.

Fan gatherings? Incredibly difficult to put together. Can't even begin to tell you how much time and energy goes into these things. I even told our crew after last year's anniversary party that we were done with them ... but here we are again doing another one, even though our main event planner is dealing with all kinds of stress and challenges in real life.

The podcast? Yeah, we just had to postpone this week's episode because real life happened again with one of our crew dealing with serious family health issues.

I simply wish without any other hidden implications, that the site was just more about U2, than, the U2 fandom.

Same here. But we're fans of a part-time band now (as I said 3+ years ago: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) and there is simply not as much stuff to report as there used to be. Would you like us to be writing news stories each day for the past two weeks about the various spots in Europe and the Mediterranean where Bono and the band has been spotted? Should we have reported that Bono is fascinated by Croatian cuisine? :-) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If U2 were still as active as they were in the late 90s and throughout the 2000s, I bet our website would look a lot different, don't you?

No news is no news.  With U2 that is literally most of the time.

LOL, that's a much more concise and well-written version of the above.

@U2 admin should be replaced by the folks at LiveNation.

That also made me LOL.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 06:28:50 AM »
Thanks for replying, m2, you are a class act. And thanks to you and the staff for all you do.

Best of luck to your kids (and to you and the missus) as they continue their journey. and thanks to them as well for sharing you with us.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 01:00:49 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, lorijane - really appreciate it. :)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 04:57:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That also made me LOL.

Haha, I was a little worried I'd get banned for that!

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 05:26:36 AM »

That also made me LOL.

Haha, I was a little worried I'd get banned for that!
Thankfully, our mods have a great sense of humor...

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »
Matt: I see you posted it on Twitter, but Bono's newly public involvement with the Clinton Foundation should absolutely be front page news in @U2.