Poll

Which sound do you prefer of the two we've heard so far from Songs of Experience?

Pop/Dance sound like "The Best Thing" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
8 (5.1%)
Rock sound like Adam's studio clip You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
92 (59%)
Mix of both kinds of songs (rock and pop/dance)
56 (35.9%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: New U2 album (SOE): Which sound would you prefer it to have?  (Read 3770 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Re: New U2 album (SOE): Which sound would you prefer it to have?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Rock please. That clip along with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, past 4:00 mark sounds like Edge finally coming back.

I voted for a mix, but on second thought, dang!!!! What IS that Bono is singing? MORE!!

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 05:57:47 PM »
Rock please. That clip along with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, past 4:00 mark sounds like Edge finally coming back.

I voted for a mix, but on second thought, dang!!!! What IS that Bono is singing? MORE!!
It's similar to what we heard on SOI, but definitely improved and executed much better.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • I'm only hanging on to watch you go down my love
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 07:23:02 PM »
I just want the band to make the music they want to make, regardless of its 'sound'. Ultimately, I just want to hear it, whatever it is.

Offline reasons40

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 08:04:55 PM »
More of a rock-edge, but I don't care for the sound from Adam's studio either. Definitely not a pop/dance music sound. I have a feeling it's going to be watered down 'world music' though...something nice and easy for everybody.

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 11:21:21 PM »
Listen to the last 2 songs on Led Zeppelin IV: the gentle "Going to California" segueing into the full-on assault of "When The Levee Breaks". Variety is good. I voted option #3.

Offline riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 05:31:30 AM »
I would like to hear more solo guitar from Edge without Bono butting in as he likes to do in a lot of songs.

A mixture of Boy, UF, AB and a distinctive new sound in its own right would be great.

Not much to ask, I know.

YES! Less Bono-talk, more Edge solo. And, yes to your mix suggestion, too. Yeah, not TOO much to ask!

Offline Philaboy1971

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 06:08:10 AM »
I'm hoping for a more Vertigo/ Until the End of the World sound being that this album would reflect the era of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 06:44:38 AM »
I love U2 when they rock, but i went for mix because it's great to have some different styles to play. A dance tune will open the door to a set list with songs we haven't heard long time (live).
That's my hope........well .......one can dream !

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 10:36:13 AM »
I prefer 'coherent albums' so as long as they pick one. And, crucially, do everything NOT to sound like God-awful-music-for-people-who-don't-like-music Coldplay.

I would give a lot to hear Eno's original version of the 'No Line' album.

And yes I am an old time fan but I like the 2000 albums ok, at least for spells like When I look at the world, Moment of surrender, White as snow, Sleep like a baby...stuff only U2 could have done.

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 06:56:17 PM »
I think what's stymied U2 lately is that they don't know what sound to make.  Do they want to do a Rick Rubin album, or do they want to do a musical soundtrack.  Do they want to do a dance album, or do they want to do an ambient, meditative album. 

U2?  Listen:  At the end of the day, you are primarily a rock band.  You should do a rock album.  With lots of guitars with different sounds throughout (i.e. a reintroduction to The Edge).  And when you reach back to revisit the past this time, let it land somewhere in the 90's.  Add some dancier stuff, a few songs with new-wave synths and a few songs with electronic beats.  Have a bunch of chanting (i.e. "Volcano, etc,) in half the songs.  Heck, why not go ahead and throw in a couple of your ballads.  But then, with a nod to your political and outspoken roots, include a scathing, biting, loud song about someone who is unnamed in the lyric but is obviously Donald Trump (i.e. "Bullet the Blue Sky," etc.).  And after it's all said and done, say you've had precedent, and did it all again, just like you've done before. 

And put it out soon.  You're running out of time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:59:42 PM by Vox »

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 07:31:39 AM »
I'd have voted "mix" if I had any faith that U2 were into good electronic music, but there's nothing to indicate that they are.  The clip Adam posted is great, and I want more of that. Edge's guitar sounds incredible. The song at the end of Edge's Fender video is really good too, so they should stick with that - adventurous, effect laden rock songs.  Not lame EDM.  The kids don't want to dance with their parents, or grandparents. 

Adam's clip the Edge's fender video, along with the improved songwriting and conceptual tour had me more excited about U2 since the run-up to ATYCLB (coming off nearly 20 years of greatness).  You're The Best Thing kinda dampered that though. They should just give that song to Ariana Grande or someone like that.

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »
It's going to have a rock sounds guys -- there's the Fender clip and there's the Adam clip.   

The Best Thing seems to either be a remix of a song or just a separate project -- remember they have many "leftover" songs from the last 10 years.  Rick Rubin Sessions/ RedOne sessions etc.  I am just guessing but I could see a scenario where they handed an unfinished song to Kygo and had him "finish it".   If this was a legit single from SOE there's no way we would be finding out about it this way (i.e. YouTube clip from a Kygo concert)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 08:02:32 AM »
I'd love a booming rock album with songs like The Fly, CFYT and Gloria as the template.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »
something less bloody obvious, more thought provoking and something with more atmosphere....a darker, more brooding but off kilter album..

shy away from verse, chorus, verse...ban edge from chiming, force bono to sing in his lower register, get larry and adam unshackled and come up with something that sets u2 apart.

lose the pop veneer, the crappy cheesy keyboard fills and the over production.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:27:15 AM by an tha »

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
something less bloody obvious, more thought provoking and something with more atmosphere....a darker, more brooding but off kilter album..

shy away from verse, chorus, verse...ban edge from chiming, force bono to sing in his lower register, get larry and adam unshackled and come up with something that sets u2 apart.

lose the pop veneer, the crappy cheesy keyboard fills and the over production.

Agreed. Please yourselves, critics and fans, forget the Coldplay loving non-music fans.