Poll

Which sound do you prefer of the two we've heard so far from Songs of Experience?

Pop/Dance sound like "The Best Thing" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
10 (6.2%)
Rock sound like Adam's studio clip You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
94 (58%)
Mix of both kinds of songs (rock and pop/dance)
58 (35.8%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: New U2 album (SOE): Which sound would you prefer it to have?  (Read 4511 times)

Offline georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: New U2 album (SOE): Which sound would you prefer it to have?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 05:00:59 AM »
I think the majority want to see a Rock album.

Personally I want to hear a more rockier edge to their next album, more solos from Edge and thicker, grittier guitars. I think SOI was very much stripped back as it was such a personal record to the band, now it's time to rock with the next record I feel

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think the majority want to see a Rock album.

Personally I want to hear a more rockier edge to their next album, more solos from Edge and thicker, grittier guitars. I think SOI was very much stripped back as it was such a personal record to the band, now it's time to rock with the next record I feel
Well said. I want to see U2 make another Dirty Day, The Fly, or Acrobat. The Instagram video Adam posted a few months back was decent compared to their more recent efforts, but still lacking.

Offline CLarryG

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 10:10:29 PM »
It seems everyone wants, (including me) less pop album, more rock/experimentation which was what NLOLH was and I thought was the best since AB by far.  SOI is down at the bottom of the album list for me.

So I'll take a AB/NLOTH sound everyday of the week and twice on SBS.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
According to the new Mojo magazine interview about the new album, "Other songs mentioned as likely for the new album are "The Best Thing About You Is Me" so that is an indication that the album will have at least one poppy song.

I wonder how many of the 18 possible songs listed here:
will actually be rocking...

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »
Anything but the style of the latest Coldplay album.  Their earlier stuff I like, but the new one has limited magic.  We need to hear more virtuoso rocking guitar with creative effects from Edge with a showcase of Larry and Adams awesome technique and Bono's voice needs to have more atmosphere and less dry room sound. 

Offline vertigofly40

• Wanderer
  • The world turns and we get dizzy
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »
I'm anxious for any new U2 at this point.  Either way they go, I would like to see them commit to it.  I felt the SOI suffered from too much second guessing and ended up diluting some of the tracks. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »
I hadn't listened to "The Best Thing" prior to tonight. I have mixed opinions about it. Lyrically and vocally it sounds pretty good, musically it has potential BUT I am hoping it has a little less of an electronic sound and more of a pop-rock sound. I do not want to see them go the route of Coldplay. I do not mind a more danceable sound, provided it's pulled off well and doesn't have that cheesy techno electronic sound. I mean, how's that going to be pulled off live? How's that going to sound when played alongside their other songs? It needs to have more guitar, more of an oomph sound. The song kind of reminds me of "The Crystal Ballroom", just more electronic.

I liked the sound of the Adam clip better, but that may just be my preferences as more of a rock music fan.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2017, 04:15:36 PM »
I haven't voted yet as I'm really not sure. I'm torn! Back in 1997, when the band released songs like Discotheque and especially Mofo I longed for them to make more songs in that vein. Very Chemical Brothers/Prodigy-esque with those frenetic pounding dance beats. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of dance music but I loved that song. It was dance but gritty, edgy dance. However what passes for dance music today I really can't stand. Well most that I hear anyway. I find it bland, insipid and all sounding the same. I'm really not sure what is classed as EDM but if it's the likes of David Guetta or Calvin Harris then please, noooooooo! I mean, I liked that Rihanna song with Calvin Harris, We Found Love. It was catchy enough. However, it then seemed like a thousand other songs all came out with exactly the same sound and beat and I was totally sick of it! If that's the sort of dance/pop you mean for U2 than definitely no. That album Mark Ronson did several years back, of dance cover versions of various songs (with Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen, etc) now I thought that was quite inventive and I liked some of the sounds on that. That I wouldn't mind so much for U2 but not the Harris/Guetta stuff and I couldn't stand it if they did a bland Coldplay style pop/rock album full of bland mid tempo songs, or like OneRepublic (I liked their debut album but very little since, sooo bland!). I love when U2 really "rock out" (maaaaan, lol). I mean, rock with a gritty edge. I like experimental U2. Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop are 3 of my favourite U2 albums and I love some of their songs from their Passengers album, especially Your Blue Room and later songs like Stateless. I love their 80's stuff too, of course, but edgy, adventurous, experimental 90's U2 is by far my favourite.

If only they could get some of that grit, energy and experimentation and basically FIRE back into their music I don't care what style it's in really - they could release an album full of Benedictine Monks chanting away, accompanied by trad Irish folk artists, a Bollywood flavour and throw in some Andean Pipers in for good measure and I'll be happy if the band really sound genuinely into what they're doing! I really want to hear grittier guitar playing from Edge again and Adam and Larry's playing brought to the fore more. I agree that Bono should sing in his lower register more these days. His lower register sounds smooth and sexy. When he starts straining his voice to hit the high notes or sing in a higher key he can sound a bit painful now, it's sad to say.

Anyway, of those two clips, I think The Best Thing is awful. Bland, formulaic, generic dance pop. U2 are better than that. I love the sound in Adam's studio clip a lot more. I know the 90's techno (or whatever you call it) sound of Mofo would be classed as outdated today but I would like some songs with that kind of thumping beat and energy, but also some angry, more aggressive, energetic rock songs would be brilliant too. Just no MOR pop blandness, please! I guess I'll opt for the Mix vote option.

Actually, I know it's highly unlikely but you know the ramshackle, almost amateurish rough & ready rock sound of early Libertines and Arctic Monkeys? I wouldn't mind a couple of songs like that from U2! I guess that's more the sound of the "angry youth" though, so I suppose our boys are a bit too old for that now, lol! Oh well. I just want SOE to sound energised and "punchy", if that's the right term! Oh, just one thing I couldn't bear - bloody "rent-a-rappers"!! If there's thing that sounds so cliched, boring and old hat already it's the obligatory droning guest rapper halfway through a song! Urgh!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:38:24 PM by Spaderholic »

Offline Drake

• Babyface
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »
something less bloody obvious, more thought provoking and something with more atmosphere....a darker, more brooding but off kilter album..

shy away from verse, chorus, verse...ban edge from chiming, force bono to sing in his lower register, get larry and adam unshackled and come up with something that sets u2 apart.

lose the pop veneer, the crappy cheesy keyboard fills and the over production.

I agree. I don't think the standard synthy EDM sound fits U2 at all. A straight-up rock record from people in their mid-50s isn't what is going to gain them new listeners, though either.
If they want to please old fans, they'll write another SOI-type album, with a mix of rock and pop-rock songs. If they want sales, they'll try to go the pop route, but given everything that's been said and released thus far, I highly doubt that's what's going to happen.
I personally agree that, as musicians, it's time to let loose a bit and explore more ethereal, ambient, quiet, or just all-around different ground.
Edge is a master at creating soundscapes. Let him do that; allow Larry and Adam to bust out some of their chops--and we know they have them. Adam in particular has shown some inventive bass playing in the past. Let Edge solo. Give us an instrumental track. Don't worry about sales, for once, you're all wealthy enough--just write some unforgettable music.
But my opinion means as much as anyone else's. They'll write what they want, not me. And that's great.

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
Not a pop/dance album, there's already waaaayyyy too many of those out there today, but for the sake of age and keeping it interesting, not a complete rock out album. A mix of the two with more of a rock approach being favored would be great to hear.

Online mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »
something less bloody obvious, more thought provoking and something with more atmosphere....a darker, more brooding but off kilter album..

shy away from verse, chorus, verse...ban edge from chiming, force bono to sing in his lower register, get larry and adam unshackled and come up with something that sets u2 apart.

I agree. I don't think the standard synthy EDM sound fits U2 at all. A straight-up rock record from people in their mid-50s isn't what is going to gain them new listeners, though either.
If they want to please old fans, they'll write another SOI-type album, with a mix of rock and pop-rock songs. If they want sales, they'll try to go the pop route, but given everything that's been said and released thus far, I highly doubt that's what's going to happen.
I personally agree that, as musicians, it's time to let loose a bit and explore more ethereal, ambient, quiet, or just all-around different ground.
Edge is a master at creating soundscapes. Let him do that; allow Larry and Adam to bust out some of their chops--and we know they have them. Adam in particular has shown some inventive bass playing in the past. Let Edge solo. Give us an instrumental track. Don't worry about sales, for once, you're all wealthy enough--just write some unforgettable music.
But my opinion means as much as anyone else's. They'll write what they want, not me. And that's great.
They experimented quite a lot with the "more ethereal, ambient, quiet" side of music on NLOTH and people here criticize the album a lot.

The last thing I want from U2 is a straight rock album. Everything has basically been done in that area and we'll end up with songs like Volcano, SUC and ABOY. I think they need to embrace electronic music a lot more and they need to add more layers, more synths to their sound.
They should bring in more drum samples too. That's what gave songs like EBTTRT, The Fly and DYFL an extra something.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2017, 03:17:17 PM »

They experimented quite a lot with the "more ethereal, ambient, quiet" side of music on NLOTH and people here criticize the album a lot.

The last thing I want from U2 is a straight rock album. Everything has basically been done in that area and we'll end up with songs like Volcano, SUC and ABOY. I think they need to embrace electronic music a lot more and they need to add more layers, more synths to their sound.
They should bring in more drum samples too. That's what gave songs like EBTTRT, The Fly and DYFL an extra something.
Yes and yes.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2017, 03:49:36 PM »

I don't think people criticize NLOTH for songs like Cedars or Fez, people hate the garbage like Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy.

I would also argue that the last true rock record that U2 made was Boy... but I still agree that the band needs to embrace a more electronic sound on SOE, just not in the way that you described. More layers and synths is not exactly the answer.

Online mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »

I don't think people criticize NLOTH for songs like Cedars or Fez, people hate the garbage like Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy.

I would also argue that the last true rock record that U2 made was Boy... but I still agree that the band needs to embrace a more electronic sound on SOE, just not in the way that you described. More layers and synths is not exactly the answer.

True, people criticize NLOTH mostly for the "middle three" but I didn't see a lot of people complain about the lack of NLOTH songs in the set on the IE tour. By the way, I love NLOTH, even the middle three. All I'm saying is that people may say they want ambient, quiet music, but at the end of the day, they want U2 to play Acrobat, OTH and Bad.

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2017, 04:39:50 AM »
Well there's no longer "gold' or "platinum"....Just go into a studio and do it already!

Bono, Adam, Larry and the Edge are closer to their 60's than the 50's.

...And the entire industry has changed.

Be bold...go nuts.

Reinvent the entire industry not just yourself for another throwback.