Poll

Which sound do you prefer of the two we've heard so far from Songs of Experience?

Pop/Dance sound like "The Best Thing" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
10 (6.2%)
Rock sound like Adam's studio clip You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
94 (58%)
Mix of both kinds of songs (rock and pop/dance)
58 (35.8%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: New U2 album (SOE): Which sound would you prefer it to have?  (Read 4305 times)

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
Re: New U2 album (SOE): Which sound would you prefer it to have?
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2017, 12:36:41 AM »
I'd prefer the album to have whatever U2 wants on the record, be true to the band's vision, and not listen to what the fans want. I don't want U2 to be pandering to people, it gets in their way of their ambitions and muse.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2017, 02:59:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd prefer the album to have whatever U2 wants on the record, be true to the band's vision, and not listen to what the fans want. I don't want U2 to be pandering to people, it gets in their way of their ambitions and muse.

I doubt u2 will look at this thread as a basis for delivering their next sound. This is just another opportunity for fans to state their favourite kind of u2 sound. That's how I interpreted it anyhow...

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »

I doubt u2 will look at this thread as a basis for delivering their next sound. This is just another opportunity for fans to state their favourite kind of u2 sound. That's how I interpreted it anyhow...
Of course the band won't use this thread, they don't even use their own forum to communicate with fans. But the question was asked, and I answered appropriately.

Offline MattD

• Refugee
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
I haven't voted yet as I'm really not sure. I'm torn! Back in 1997, when the band released songs like Discotheque and especially Mofo I longed for them to make more songs in that vein. Very Chemical Brothers/Prodigy-esque with those frenetic pounding dance beats. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of dance music but I loved that song. It was dance but gritty, edgy dance. However what passes for dance music today I really can't stand. Well most that I hear anyway. I find it bland, insipid and all sounding the same. I'm really not sure what is classed as EDM but if it's the likes of David Guetta or Calvin Harris then please, noooooooo! I mean, I liked that Rihanna song with Calvin Harris, We Found Love. It was catchy enough. However, it then seemed like a thousand other songs all came out with exactly the same sound and beat and I was totally sick of it! If that's the sort of dance/pop you mean for U2 than definitely no. That album Mark Ronson did several years back, of dance cover versions of various songs (with Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen, etc) now I thought that was quite inventive and I liked some of the sounds on that. That I wouldn't mind so much for U2 but not the Harris/Guetta stuff and I couldn't stand it if they did a bland Coldplay style pop/rock album full of bland mid tempo songs, or like OneRepublic (I liked their debut album but very little since, sooo bland!). I love when U2 really "rock out" (maaaaan, lol). I mean, rock with a gritty edge. I like experimental U2. Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop are 3 of my favourite U2 albums and I love some of their songs from their Passengers album, especially Your Blue Room and later songs like Stateless. I love their 80's stuff too, of course, but edgy, adventurous, experimental 90's U2 is by far my favourite.

If only they could get some of that grit, energy and experimentation and basically FIRE back into their music I don't care what style it's in really - they could release an album full of Benedictine Monks chanting away, accompanied by trad Irish folk artists, a Bollywood flavour and throw in some Andean Pipers in for good measure and I'll be happy if the band really sound genuinely into what they're doing! I really want to hear grittier guitar playing from Edge again and Adam and Larry's playing brought to the fore more. I agree that Bono should sing in his lower register more these days. His lower register sounds smooth and sexy. When he starts straining his voice to hit the high notes or sing in a higher key he can sound a bit painful now, it's sad to say.

Anyway, of those two clips, I think The Best Thing is awful. Bland, formulaic, generic dance pop. U2 are better than that. I love the sound in Adam's studio clip a lot more. I know the 90's techno (or whatever you call it) sound of Mofo would be classed as outdated today but I would like some songs with that kind of thumping beat and energy, but also some angry, more aggressive, energetic rock songs would be brilliant too. Just no MOR pop blandness, please! I guess I'll opt for the Mix vote option.

Actually, I know it's highly unlikely but you know the ramshackle, almost amateurish rough & ready rock sound of early Libertines and Arctic Monkeys? I wouldn't mind a couple of songs like that from U2! I guess that's more the sound of the "angry youth" though, so I suppose our boys are a bit too old for that now, lol! Oh well. I just want SOE to sound energised and "punchy", if that's the right term! Oh, just one thing I couldn't bear - bloody "rent-a-rappers"!! If there's thing that sounds so cliched, boring and old hat already it's the obligatory droning guest rapper halfway through a song! Urgh!!!

I agree with every word of this.

There's a big difference between the 'dance' music that inspired Pop and the contemporary dance music we hear in the charts today. Today's contemporary dance fodder is mass produced like McDonalds - it may be the ultimate for people with poor tastes and a limited palette, but for those with sophisticated tastes, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Their experiment with building songs around breakbeats and interesting rhythmic structures was one of the innovative things about Pop - combining alternative rock with this style was unique. Whereas Coldplay make cheap music for the masses, U2's finest was like a meal at the Ritz. Thankfully, they haven't trodden down such a cynical path, and whatever criticisms there are about Songs of Innocence, the album is far far far superior and more artistically relevant (particularly the second half of the album) to Coldplay's recent output, even if the production of the album isn't great as the band admitted themselves.

I'd absolutely love to hear Bono sing in his lower register much more - although I'm probably biased as U2's 90s output was my favourite. It added depth, intrigue and mystery to his performance but it also blended perfectly with the instrumental backing - it seemed more of a holistic approach where Bono didn't dominate the songs so much (none of this melodramatic 'woah woah woahs' ala Unknown Caller) and allowed the band some improvisation.

But if rock and a gritty live feel is the aim for their next album, then fingers crossed because it's fair to say their last couple of albums have seemed lifeless. I don't want You're The Best Thing anywhere near this album - putrid melody, even without the terrible EDM production, so in fear of a terrible state of affairs with something like that, a rock album would do me absolutely fine. When you think of what Raised By Wolves could have sounded like with a much grittier and aggressive sound, then it's an easy option.

Offline georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2017, 04:41:59 PM »
I haven't voted yet as I'm really not sure. I'm torn! Back in 1997, when the band released songs like Discotheque and especially Mofo I longed for them to make more songs in that vein. Very Chemical Brothers/Prodigy-esque with those frenetic pounding dance beats. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of dance music but I loved that song. It was dance but gritty, edgy dance. However what passes for dance music today I really can't stand. Well most that I hear anyway. I find it bland, insipid and all sounding the same. I'm really not sure what is classed as EDM but if it's the likes of David Guetta or Calvin Harris then please, noooooooo! I mean, I liked that Rihanna song with Calvin Harris, We Found Love. It was catchy enough. However, it then seemed like a thousand other songs all came out with exactly the same sound and beat and I was totally sick of it! If that's the sort of dance/pop you mean for U2 than definitely no. That album Mark Ronson did several years back, of dance cover versions of various songs (with Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen, etc) now I thought that was quite inventive and I liked some of the sounds on that. That I wouldn't mind so much for U2 but not the Harris/Guetta stuff and I couldn't stand it if they did a bland Coldplay style pop/rock album full of bland mid tempo songs, or like OneRepublic (I liked their debut album but very little since, sooo bland!). I love when U2 really "rock out" (maaaaan, lol). I mean, rock with a gritty edge. I like experimental U2. Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop are 3 of my favourite U2 albums and I love some of their songs from their Passengers album, especially Your Blue Room and later songs like Stateless. I love their 80's stuff too, of course, but edgy, adventurous, experimental 90's U2 is by far my favourite.

If only they could get some of that grit, energy and experimentation and basically FIRE back into their music I don't care what style it's in really - they could release an album full of Benedictine Monks chanting away, accompanied by trad Irish folk artists, a Bollywood flavour and throw in some Andean Pipers in for good measure and I'll be happy if the band really sound genuinely into what they're doing! I really want to hear grittier guitar playing from Edge again and Adam and Larry's playing brought to the fore more. I agree that Bono should sing in his lower register more these days. His lower register sounds smooth and sexy. When he starts straining his voice to hit the high notes or sing in a higher key he can sound a bit painful now, it's sad to say.

Anyway, of those two clips, I think The Best Thing is awful. Bland, formulaic, generic dance pop. U2 are better than that. I love the sound in Adam's studio clip a lot more. I know the 90's techno (or whatever you call it) sound of Mofo would be classed as outdated today but I would like some songs with that kind of thumping beat and energy, but also some angry, more aggressive, energetic rock songs would be brilliant too. Just no MOR pop blandness, please! I guess I'll opt for the Mix vote option.

Actually, I know it's highly unlikely but you know the ramshackle, almost amateurish rough & ready rock sound of early Libertines and Arctic Monkeys? I wouldn't mind a couple of songs like that from U2! I guess that's more the sound of the "angry youth" though, so I suppose our boys are a bit too old for that now, lol! Oh well. I just want SOE to sound energised and "punchy", if that's the right term! Oh, just one thing I couldn't bear - bloody "rent-a-rappers"!! If there's thing that sounds so cliched, boring and old hat already it's the obligatory droning guest rapper halfway through a song! Urgh!!!
I'd absolutely love to hear Bono sing in his lower register much more - although I'm probably biased as U2's 90s output was my favourite. It added depth, intrigue and mystery to his performance but it also blended perfectly with the instrumental backing - it seemed more of a holistic approach where Bono didn't dominate the songs so much (none of this melodramatic 'woah woah woahs' ala Unknown Caller) and allowed the band some improvisation.

This is a big one for me. Since NLOH and now SOI Bono has been singing in a much higher register in both studio and live versions. I really hope with Lillywhite on board for SOE and the upcoming JT tour, this gives Bono the perfect chance to shine vocally, I also was not a fan of the constant effect Bono appeared to have on his voice throughout SOI, it became very annoying after about 3 songs in. He shines the most when his voice is mixed as close to dry as possible with no effects or limiters

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2017, 06:00:48 PM »
+1 for Bono singing in a lower range.  It sounds way better.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2017, 09:28:47 PM »

But if rock and a gritty live feel is the aim for their next album, then fingers crossed because it's fair to say their last couple of albums have seemed lifeless. I don't want You're The Best Thing anywhere near this album - putrid melody, even without the terrible EDM production, so in fear of a terrible state of affairs with something like that, a rock album would do me absolutely fine. When you think of what Raised By Wolves could have sounded like with a much grittier and aggressive sound, then it's an easy option.

I'm getting excited for a rocking gritty album.  Yet, at the same time, I know that U2 likes to have a variety of sounds/types of songs on their albums ("all the colours."  This ends up with tracks that sonically seem out of place and/or become divisive among U2 fans as ruining the album (e.g. "if such and such b-side was on the album instead of xyz track, the album would be so much better.") 

U2 doesn't seem to be a band that will commit fully to only one sound for an entire album or to have an album of only rockers or only ballads, etc.  They like to have a box of chocolates with hopefully something for everyone (but not everything for someone.)

Offline tommyboy6913

• Stateless
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2017, 10:25:27 PM »

I'm getting excited for a rocking gritty album.  Yet, at the same time, I know that U2 likes to have a variety of sounds/types of songs on their albums ("all the colours."  This ends up with tracks that sonically seem out of place and/or become divisive among U2 fans as ruining the album (e.g. "if such and such b-side was on the album instead of xyz track, the album would be so much better.") 

U2 doesn't seem to be a band that will commit fully to only one sound for an entire album or to have an album of only rockers or only ballads, etc.  They like to have a box of chocolates with hopefully something for everyone (but not everything for someone.)th
THIS. WELL PUT

Offline JFW

• Stateless
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2017, 08:24:27 AM »
It's not a sin to release a cheesy pop song. Just like Window in the Sky, Ordinary Love, Saints Are Coming, Sweetest thing; I kind of like it, but never on a album. Those songs are 'OK' to be heard on the radio, but not to be heard on an album (after three times listening to the album you're going to hate it!), I think. So: U2 sound like Adam posted :)

Online Nanda360

• Stateless
  • ok folks, everybody back from the edge!
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2017, 06:00:16 PM »
A mix, a miracle, a new achtung baby to be born.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
It's not a sin to release a cheesy pop song. Just like Window in the Sky, Ordinary Love, Saints Are Coming, Sweetest thing; I kind of like it, but never on a album. Those songs are 'OK' to be heard on the radio, but not to be heard on an album (after three times listening to the album you're going to hate it!), I think. So: U2 sound like Adam posted :)
"Window in the Sky" is not a cheesy pop song.

And neither is "Sweetest Thing"... the original version anyway.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2017, 07:37:11 PM »

"Oh can't you see what love has done?"

This song screams cheesy, to me anyway.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »

What it's doing to me???

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 09:11:22 PM »

What it's doing to me???
Done everything but murder you and I...

Well, that's the best I could do with that song, anyway!  :D