Author Topic: Concerts of 2017  (Read 27320 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: Concerts of 2017
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw nsync free, on the floor no less ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, haha. 1D was free for me, I just had to endure 2-3 hours of screaming teenagers.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »
I missed out on snagging U2 tickets for their Seattle show. :(

I'm hoping I can have some luck with getting Radiohead tickets. On another note, I did get tickets to see Two Door Cinema Club in April.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2017, 05:42:50 PM »
Maiden!    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Springsteen does surprise concert in DC:    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:48:43 PM by imaginary friend »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
I've been to several festivals which are outdoor events, but not so many dedicated stadium concerts.  In fact I can only think of 3: U2, Oasis and Manic Street Preachers.  Oasis were a decent stadium act, but I wouldn't pay to see them outdoors again.  MSP were awful outdoors.  U2 are the only one that have been good enough for me to be prepared to pay to see them again play in the open-air.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2017, 07:13:42 PM »
Just picked up a ticket for a Chili Peppers show this weekend. Never seen them before, so it should be a fun time!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2017, 08:18:42 PM »
Green Day ! First time for me, been a fan since the start

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
sooooooooooo will Metallica ever announce a tour orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?

They said a month ago on Kimmel that they would be doing a big US tour in 2017. So, hopefully sometime soon they'll announce it.

ok i missed that. i hope they do an ARENA show with AFFORDABLE tickets. i'm dying to see them, never seen them and only became a serious fan of theirs last year.

I'd like this as well, however it seems like they're thinking stadiums:

I had a feeling that they would do stadiums. The demand is certainly there.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2017, 09:38:15 PM »
god how jealous must U2 be? 'tallica is gonna tour stadiums behind an album that made a huge splash for it's music, not it's delivery method and U2 is dippin their toes into the heritage act waters. Metallicas first album is only 4 years younger than U2's.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
god how jealous must U2 be? 'tallica is gonna tour stadiums behind an album that made a huge splash for it's music, not it's delivery method and U2 is dippin their toes into the heritage act waters. Metallicas first album is only 4 years younger than U2's.

Metallica is also in a genre with immense loyalty to bands (hard rock/metal). Don't get me wrong, the album is good, but metal fans tend to stick by their bands with fierce loyalty--other genres are a bit more fickle. It's not shocking that the album sold well and that they're able to tour stadiums behind it. Also, I'm going to guess that a good chunk of those fans attending are expecting to hear a lot of their old stuff mixed in with the new stuff. They're likely not going just for the new album.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »

Metallica is also in a genre with immense loyalty to bands (hard rock/metal). Don't get me wrong, the album is good, but metal fans tend to stick by their bands with fierce loyalty--other genres are a bit more fickle. It's not shocking that the album sold well and that they're able to tour stadiums behind it. Also, I'm going to guess that a good chunk of those fans attending are expecting to hear a lot of their old stuff mixed in with the new stuff. They're likely not going just for the new album.

true. but i mean the album is selling well and SOI didn't really do squat, unless im mistaken. i guess what i'm tryin to say is that Metallica's new album is a true return to form after a slew of crap albums <even i heard how bad Lulu was and i didn't give a rip about them at the time> and SOI didn't do that. I mean the fans know it's great but outside of us the general fans didnt really cared to hear those songs live, and i have a feeling HTSD's songs will be in high demand.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:57:40 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:26 PM »

true. but i mean the album is selling well and SOI didn't really do squat, unless im mistaken. i guess what i'm tryin to say is that Metallica's new album is a true return to form after a slew of crap albums <even i heard how bad Lulu was and i didn't give a rip about them at the time> and SOI didn't do that. I mean the fans know it's great but outside of us the general fans didnt really cared to hear those songs live, and i have a feeling HTSD's songs will be in high demand.

No, I completely agree with you there. SoI didn't sell very well (I think maybe 650,000 total), but I think a lot of that can be attributed to it being free to so many. What's the incentive to buy an album you already own? Even I as a big fan did not buy SoI until recently because it was always on my iPhone or Spotify.

I think a more fair comparison would be to NLOTH, U2's last "non-free" album. NLOTH sold 4-5 million, I believe. I haven't been keeping track of Metallica's new album, but I am guessing the album sales for that are a bit less. I know first week they sold something like 291,000 which is fantastic in today's music market. Even Death Magnetic sold something like 490,000 the first week in 2008; a year later in 2009, NLOTH sold 484,000 first week (and this was a full 1.5 years after the iPhone came out and online music purchases/streaming really started to take full effect). Overall, DM sold 2.5 million and NLOTH, arguably U2's weakest album, sold 4-5 million.

It'll be interesting to see how the public responds to SoE whenever that comes out. Still, it would not shock me to see that sell less than Metallica's new album. Again, it goes back to metal fan loyalty and the fact that many metal fans still buy CDs whereas more general music fans (pop/alt....sort of where U2 would fit in) tend to stream it through Spotify.

Still, Metallica's ability to sell as many units as they have in today's rough market is very impressive. I have no doubt that they'll be able to sell many stadium tickets. I don't know that they'll completely sell out stadiums (as even Guns could not do) but they should do well.

Offline fortheloveofmoney

• Babyface
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »
If Metallica was to announce a "Master of Puppets Anniversary tour" for stadiums ticket sales would be rediculously stupid. Still wouldn't go just like i'm not going to the JT show at the worst venue in the world. The Rose bowl.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2017, 09:15:40 AM »
Just got tickets to see Radiohead in Kansas City. I've been waiting years to see them! :D

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2017, 11:27:27 AM »

lolwtf, Metallica toured Europe behind MOP's 20th anniversary back on 2006...and ended up doing it again the following summer. They also did a 21st anniversary tour for the Black Album, too.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »

Metallica is also in a genre with immense loyalty to bands (hard rock/metal).

They don't call them boneheads for nothing  ;)