Author Topic: Concerts of 2017  (Read 8911 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: Concerts of 2017
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
yea i hope to get my ticket tomorrow. if the last few concert tickets ive bought are any indication, i should get a pre-sale code via facebook tomorrow to use.

I have to say, I'm very disappointed in the pricing of the tickets on this tour. Or at least the MI date, anyway. They're charging $160 for GA or seats on the lower level of the stands, $140 for seats, and $60-$70 for nose bleed seats. I am guessing this is because of the quality/popularity of the openers, but still. It's a lot of money. Either U2 are severely underpricing their GA tickets or other artists are trying to maximize profits by charging a fortune for tix.

I am glad I don't have such expensive tastes - apart from the Stones who I saw very many years ago and won't pay the prices they demand now.  Remember when Lars told the world he was "not greedy"?  He also said they charge what they do to put the money back into the shows, so expect this show to be twice as spectacular as U2 in the summer. 

Seriously, such prices mean you're pricing out all but your most affluent fans, which can't be great for gig atmosphere (or for the financially-excluded fans).

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
Got Lady Gaga tickets for Montreal! Whoo hoo!

Online Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Back to back champions!
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »

Not gonna lie, I want to go see her when she comes around here. Really enjoying her new album.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #198 on: February 16, 2017, 12:37:17 AM »
yea i hope to get my ticket tomorrow. if the last few concert tickets ive bought are any indication, i should get a pre-sale code via facebook tomorrow to use.

I have to say, I'm very disappointed in the pricing of the tickets on this tour. Or at least the MI date, anyway. They're charging $160 for GA or seats on the lower level of the stands, $140 for seats, and $60-$70 for nose bleed seats. I am guessing this is because of the quality/popularity of the openers, but still. It's a lot of money. Either U2 are severely underpricing their GA tickets or other artists are trying to maximize profits by charging a fortune for tix.

I am glad I don't have such expensive tastes - apart from the Stones who I saw very many years ago and won't pay the prices they demand now.  Remember when Lars told the world he was "not greedy"?  He also said they charge what they do to put the money back into the shows, so expect this show to be twice as spectacular as U2 in the summer. 

Seriously, such prices mean you're pricing out all but your most affluent fans, which can't be great for gig atmosphere (or for the financially-excluded fans).

I think it might have something to do with the fact that James doesn't want to play more than 50 shows a year, so obviously they'd want to max out profit on the shows they do play to make up for that. As far as their stage show, lol. They will have a big screen and a pretty regular stage, that's about it. It won't be anything like what U2 have done since the 90s, nor should it be. With most rock shows, the name of the game is K.I.S.S. (no, not the god awful band who call themselves that): keep it simple stupid. A big stage show isn't needed.

And yeah, they are pricing out a lot of their fans. I've been seeing tons of complaints on Facebook about the ticket prices. Unless the opening bands are commanding a lot of money, this seems a lot like Metallica making a a huge cash grab. I feel if they really were not greedy (and wanted to do right by their fans) then they'd at least price GA cheaper. $100 is more reasonable, $160 is just excessive. You aren't the Stones, stop acting like your ticket prices should be as expensive as theirs.

Not gonna lie, I want to go see her when she comes around here. Really enjoying her new album.

I'm sort of tempted. I just checked and saw she'll be playing the new arena in Detroit. I wouldn't mind going to that show--she seems like a great performer.

Online Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:39 AM »
I'm going to see Metallica in Toronto!! \m/

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »

I think it might have something to do with the fact that James doesn't want to play more than 50 shows a year, so obviously they'd want to max out profit on the shows they do play to make up for that. As far as their stage show, lol. They will have a big screen and a pretty regular stage, that's about it. It won't be anything like what U2 have done since the 90s, nor should it be. With most rock shows, the name of the game is K.I.S.S. (no, not the god awful band who call themselves that): keep it simple stupid. A big stage show isn't needed.

And yeah, they are pricing out a lot of their fans. I've been seeing tons of complaints on Facebook about the ticket prices. Unless the opening bands are commanding a lot of money, this seems a lot like Metallica making a a huge cash grab. I feel if they really were not greedy (and wanted to do right by their fans) then they'd at least price GA cheaper. $100 is more reasonable, $160 is just excessive. You aren't the Stones, stop acting like your ticket prices should be as expensive as theirs.

I'm sort of tempted. I just checked and saw she'll be playing the new arena in Detroit. I wouldn't mind going to that show--she seems like a great performer.

Lars always said shutting down file sharing sites like Napster was about “control” and not money: “I’ve always had an incredibly aloof relationship with money. Like, when I didn't have any money, it was not anything that mattered to me. And now that we're fortunate to have some money, it doesn't really play a role in anything we do, it doesn't really play a role in anything I do. I don't sit there and look at my bank balances or count the money or sit there and micro-manage Metallica... 'If we do this, if we do this, or if we do this... It'll be 17 dollars...' None of that stuff happens at all. I mean, the great thing about being successful is, obviously, in the wake of that comes... It gives you freedom, it gives you freedom to not think about it, actually; that's the best thing. And it gives you freedom to, kind of, put as much money back into the shows...”

The problem is that someone clearly has sat down and thought ‘If we do this, if we do this… it’ll be $160’, and he’s gone along with it.  The atmosphere in the GA are will be more muted and many keen fans simply won’t be able to afford to go.

As you say, they’re a far inferior band to the Stones.  The Stones have not done much great material since 1972, but their first decade was so incredible that I’d gladly hear them play stuff from that period all night long.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »
the venues set the ticket prices though. lars isnt sitting there tryin to thinkin of what to charge per ticket to get rich.

just got my metallica ticket. $155 pre fees. but it's a good seat. 200 section
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:27:58 PM by THRILLHO »

Online Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2017, 09:40:05 PM »
the venues set the ticket prices though. lars isnt sitting there tryin to thinkin of what to charge per ticket to get rich.

I was amazed at how expensive they were. My cousin bought the tickets and we went with the "cheap" nosebleeds ($70 CAD before fees).

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2017, 07:22:36 AM »

I saw her on her last tour and she is a great performer. I'm interested to see whether this tour will be more straightforward given the more intimate nature of the record she's touring.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »

I was amazed at how expensive they were. My cousin bought the tickets and we went with the "cheap" nosebleeds ($70 CAD before fees).

yea it's a high price but eff it. it's the one time ill see them and its my bday gift to myself, it's 6 days before my 36th lol.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2017, 10:54:30 AM »
Im toying with going to see Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds at Glasgow Hydro in Sept. I missed out on GA tix, so might have to take a seat. Would likely have to go alone too, as theres no one i know who would go

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
Ryan Adams just announced North American and UK dates!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2017, 11:59:36 PM »

It's not Lars specifically, but it is the band's management that are deciding the ticket prices. Not the venues. I know this because I've seen ticket prices for other acts at these venues and they were considerably less...even big acts on Metallica's level. And I'd think that if Metallica were concerned about some real fans not being able to afford to see their favorite band in concert, then they'd insist on cheaper prices. I think U2's method of cheap GA and more expensive seating (but some cheap nose bleed seats) is a better way to do it since real fans on a budget can get GA tix or nose bleed seats and the richer fans can do GA or expensive close seats.

It just feels very excessive to me when I know what other bands who are on Metallica's level (or above it) charge for tickets. And I feel awful for fans who will not be able to see their favorite band because of those prices for even nose bleed seats.

As it stands, if they were my favorite band I would probably pay the price for tickets, but being a more casual fan who has to pick and choose between shows...it's no bueno.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2017, 06:29:19 AM »
Well, I'm up to a handful now:

The Time/Sheila E.
Jean-Michel Jarre
U2
Metallica

Never seen any of them before, aside from U2. And it's about the most eclectic year for concerts I've ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
in 2 weeks

Green Day

May
Mariah Carey/Lionel Richie
Paula Abdul/Boyz II Men/NKOTB
U2/Lumineers