Author Topic: Adam says album March/April 17- maybe  (Read 25214 times)

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
Re: Adam says album March/April 17- maybe
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 04:33:47 AM »
Agreed that it's still pretty quick but what worries me is that they may be overthinking it and changing things again. The album was "80% ready" a pretty long time ago. I was hoping for something fresh and a bit provocative. Taking  longer to finish the album usually means tweaking songs to sound more radio friendly. That's all.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 04:37:51 AM »
Bono said he regretted SoI sounding too polished, it should have sounded rougher production wise.

I think they did want to get SoE out quickly, that was the plan. But reality worked out differently.

Sh** happens.

Offline riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 04:50:49 AM »
I'm only impatient because I'm getting old! I want another tour before I'm too senile to remember it...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 05:19:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Agreed that it's still pretty quick but what worries me is that they may be overthinking it and changing things again. The album was "80% ready" a pretty long time ago. I was hoping for something fresh and a bit provocative. Taking  longer to finish the album usually means tweaking songs to sound more radio friendly. That's all.

I would say you are probably right, sadly.

But that is the band they have become and sadly we can't change it....i hold onto hope that they will change but i doubt it...in the meantime check out the masses of great new stuff out there that frankly makes a new u2 album pretty irrelevant and just a bonus should it arrive....2016 has been a brilliant year for new music.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2016, 07:28:37 AM »
yeah, a U2 record is an afterthought at this point. It's sad for them, but it happens to everyone.  If I was born ten years later I don't think I'd care about them at all, but since I got into them during Zoo TV I still hold out hope that they'll be great again.  And even if they're not, I still enjoy very good U2 songs more than a lot of music that better in every way.  It's probably just nostalgia.

But I mean, they could still be great if they stop chasing hits.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 10:13:37 AM »
What will happen first: new album coming out or Guy Oseary quitting as band manager because he can't stand how long they take and how much cash is sitting idle with the I+E props not getting to good use?

Cheers,

J

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2016, 10:16:17 AM »
He didn't mention the year. I predict March of 2019. ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:18:01 AM by Thunder Peel »

Offline lucas.homem

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2016, 10:32:57 AM »
The time they take is not necessarily because they need to overthink the songs they've composed.

The fact is U2 are a part time band, so in the next six months they'll be at most 3 weeks in studio and will hope everything is done by then. If not, more six months of waiting.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:44:50 PM by lucas.homem »

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2016, 10:37:57 AM »
It'll be pushed back to October...2020, to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Boy and the 20th anniversary of his new album spiel:  "We were rediscovering our roots," Bono will say.  "Punk is where we came from.  We wanted to remember why we got into this in the first place."

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2016, 12:46:21 PM »
Have to chime in and nice to hear from you Jick and your 2021 is looking still frustratingly possible!

Hope, Edges kitty who is so witty, is spot on with the production thought.

I would BEG for them to pick their top 11 or 12 currently in process and just f'n play them in a room, record it, charge me $100+ for packages/video etc and BE BRAVE and BALLSY  like we all know U2 to B! Our excitement as fans would make it go socially viral within our spheres of influence and they would find millions of new fans worldwide.

Offline lucas.homem

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2016, 12:47:15 PM »
But I had a misleading dream today that I woke up and U2 had released two albums online, one more dancy and comtemporary (with You're The Best Thing About Me), and the other more rockish.

Of course, just a dream.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »
But I had a misleading dream today that I woke up and U2 had released two albums online, one more dancy and comtemporary (with You're The Best Thing About Me), and the other more rockish.

Of course, just a dream.

Dream up the world you want to live in. ;)

Offline ecadad

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
So Adam says it will be at least March/April (but probably later than that). There's plenty of evidence that they have many songs finished, or nearly finished. Do you think we'll hear any new music (singles, film soundtracks, etc...) before the album?

Offline craola

• Wanderer
  • https://soundcloud.com/ambulai/
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
Have to chime in and nice to hear from you Jick and your 2021 is looking still frustratingly possible!

Hope, Edges kitty who is so witty, is spot on with the production thought.

I would BEG for them to pick their top 11 or 12 currently in process and just f'n play them in a room, record it, charge me $100+ for packages/video etc and BE BRAVE and BALLSY  like we all know U2 to B! Our excitement as fans would make it go socially viral within our spheres of influence and they would find millions of new fans worldwide.
it'd be cool if they said screw it and did something rather different like that. my own personal fantasy would be to do something like Radiohead's From the Basement videos but AS the first more-or-less official release.

film themselves in the Edge's basement playing through all of their new material. relaxed environment. live environment. unpolished. the whol album. then post it online. casually mention the album's official studio release is coming out a week later or something. it'd be a much more fitting way to give a good ol thank you to the fans than their previous gimmick, and it'd probably turn out better than whatever studio crap they push out.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2016, 07:52:13 PM »
I wonder if they are still implementing new technology for the release?!