Author Topic: Adam says album March/April 17- maybe  (Read 23537 times)

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Adam says album March/April 17- maybe
« Reply #450 on: February 12, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The photo shoot was September 2015 though You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They had always planned to do a few shows but maybe not this many?

Not necessarily. Think about it. The next album/tour is the Experience side of things. TJT is when they really hit it big, so it makes sense that they'd do an updated photo shoot of that.

Certainly possible that they've been thinking about this for a while, I just doubt that the tour has been planned for that long.

Well anton shot the photo then with them why else would they have been there? This was always planned in some form clearly.

Like I said, it's possible that it was done as a sort of parallel to when they started getting "experienced". We know the Innocence part of the tour focused on their beginning, TJT is when they started to really gain steam as a band (i.e. get experienced). It'd make sense to do such a photo shoot to promote the next leg of the tour, the Experience leg.

I don't buy that one sorry.

And I don't entirely buy that this has been in the works since 2015 (not when they hyped up SoE coming "soon"). Maybe they planned on doing a few special shows, but I very much doubt that they planned this tour. Seems like the tour came about because they realized the lucrativeness of it and because they're not ready to put SoE out (and continue that tour).

It is a pity as this is the first time it genuinely appears that U2 have put money ahead of artistic integrity in creating a live show.  Sure, many didn't like the stage for 360, or felt that too many older songs were played as the tour progressed, but they did make an effort to present a new kind of stadium show and play their new album to start with.  Doing a show based on TJT and charging such high ticket prices shows very little artistic ambition.

There used to be a lot of debate over whether or not they were ever going to go the nostalgia act route. I once thought no, and if you had said "What if they decided to tour JT again", I think everyone would have sad "Well, of course that would mean they were a nostalgia act". That was when we thought it would never happen. Now that it's actually happening, I'm not going to contort myself to explain how that doesn't count.
Because of this and maybe a few other reasons, for the first time, I'm simply uninterested in them. I'd like to believe that they will blow my mind again some day, but how many of you reading this really feel like that's their priority anymore? It makes me sad, but nothing lasts forever.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:00:57 AM by This Dave »

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #451 on: February 12, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »
Here's what's going to happen -- the Joshua Tree 2017 tour winds up at the beginning of August.  Every August through early September, U2 vacation in France.  So U2 are going to go off the road and straight to vacation.  They aren't even going to think about the new album until (at least) September, if we're lucky.  What's likely is that they go on their usual post-tour months-long extended vacations, in which case they won't work on anything until after the new year in 2018.

That is, unless, they really are sitting on a mostly completed album (in the era of artists finishing albums and digitally releasing them that same day).  Maybe they'll record a song or two on the road, after determining how much the world has changed, and throw those on the mostly complete album.

I guess we'll have to see what happens.  After the surprise release of Songs of Innocence, I thought all the old rules were thrown out the window.  But that seems to be the exception, sitting now 2.5 years later.  Here's to hoping that the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 sparks something creatively in the band.         

"We've got enough material for a double album so expect the second soon" is to U2 fans what Chinese Democracy was to Guns and Roses fans. At some point it becomes a bad joke. I think you're right; the band will go on vacation and all of the "we are on fire" momentum will go away, exactly as has happened for 15 years now. I'm not making a prediction, I'm just describing what always happens, going on half their career now. There's a point where, regardless of whatever reason is given, this is just how U2 operate. You have to reach back a generation to point to a time when we weren't having this same discussion every time. This is the norm now.

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #452 on: February 12, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
Answer this honestly. Would you hate songs like Crazy tonight etc as much if they weren't performed by U2?

I don't know about anyone else but I assume if someone other than U2 made Crazy then I probably would never have heard it.  Because I don't listen to artists who write and record songs like that.  Besides modern day U2, apparently.

I'll admit to being confused by the amount of hate this song attracts. Like, what about it is such an extreme outlier? If people talked this way about Numb, for example, I could understand. It's waaayyy outside their box.  But Crazy Tonight?

Online MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #453 on: February 16, 2017, 11:10:14 PM »
Answer this honestly. Would you hate songs like Crazy tonight etc as much if they weren't performed by U2?

I don't know about anyone else but I assume if someone other than U2 made Crazy then I probably would never have heard it.  Because I don't listen to artists who write and record songs like that.  Besides modern day U2, apparently.

I'll admit to being confused by the amount of hate this song attracts. Like, what about it is such an extreme outlier? If people talked this way about Numb, for example, I could understand. It's waaayyy outside their box.  But Crazy Tonight?

It's only going to get worse, just heard the new Linkin Park song today and yuckkk!

*Cue someone criticizing me comparing U2 to Linkin Park*
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:02:55 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline zoo adam

• Refugee
« Reply #454 on: February 18, 2017, 04:39:32 AM »
I don't mind there being delays in an album release. If it resulted in more tracks on the album.

Remember after a delay annoncement for NLOTH, Bono said the band were 'still finding more diamonds'. I assumed that meant more songs. It didn't.

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #455 on: February 19, 2017, 01:37:53 AM »
I don't mind there being delays in an album release. If it resulted in more tracks on the album.

Remember after a delay annoncement for NLOTH, Bono said the band were 'still finding more diamonds'. I assumed that meant more songs. It didn't.

Was that one of the many times they had so many songs that they were going to release a follow-up right away, meaning five years later?

Offline georgemccauley

• Refugee
« Reply #456 on: February 19, 2017, 06:32:20 AM »

I'm hopeful of getting at least 12 new tracks, maybe along with a deluxe edition