Author Topic: Adam says album March/April 17- maybe  (Read 26428 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Adam says album March/April 17- maybe
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »
A lot of those artists who are prolific have always been prolific....you can't expect a band who have released as steadily as u2 have to become more prolific in their mid 50's and beyond...not for my money anyway

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »
in the 80s they released six albums, that's respectable.

in the 90s they released four albums and had two mega tours. also respectable.  wasn't ATYCLB supposed to be out in 99, too? that would have been 91-93-95-97-99, with two huge tours. 

10 albums over their first 17 years is pretty good!  the quality was consistently high, and they released a few classics. 

to answer Bono's question from 1991, it all went wrong for the band when he got involved with jubilee 2000, and it's been wrong ever since. U2 are as good as Bono is committed to the band, and he hasn't been that committed. When he was a full-time musician, well, just put on any random song from 1980-1997 and it will likely be better and more creative than anything they've done since pre-millennium tension became post-millennium panic.

I can't fault Bono at all for feeling that his advocacy is more worthwhile than music making, but he's really got to to chose one or the other. it's not fair to the band, the brand, or the fans.

First 17 years: 10 albums, Bowie-esque stylistic changes, ambition, consistently good and several classic albums and songs
Last 17 years: 4 albums that are very similar, mostly mediocre and conservative, one classic to Rolling Stone and no-one else

Offline craola

• Wanderer
  • https://soundcloud.com/ambulai/
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2016, 02:43:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I can't fault Bono at all for feeling that his advocacy is more worthwhile than music making, but he's really got to to chose one or the other. it's not fair to the band, the brand, or the fans.
that's how i feel. well said.

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2016, 03:39:06 PM »
that's how i feel. well said.

I used to go for the line that his outside work actually enriched his work as an artist, and maybe that is true to a point, but we are past the line of diminishing returns.  He himself always warned that the music should never become secondary, and there are times were it does seem that way. 
Wasn't there an interview he did, say about four years ago, where he said that it was time to recommit to the band, and that he was going to leave the activism work in the hands of others and "Shut the door very tightly on that world"? It was a very similar to that line.  I wish he had followed through.

When you look back and interviews they did about their earlier days, what stands out is how much they were in that celebrity world, but not of it (to steal a phrase from the religious).  Bono describes feeling so uncool and out of place when they recorded "Do they know it's Christmas", which is hillarious when you consider how many of those people are now absolute nobodies compared to him, and have been so since about 18 months after that session. Now, I don't think that Bono was so much seduced by the Paparazzi/Hollywood side of fame.  The whole band has navigated that extraordinarily well.  But he IS seduced by being close to the levers of power. By hobnobbing with politicians and billionaires.  I'm not sure even he realizes how far down that rabbit hole he has gone, and I'm sure few of us would be immune to the charms if we were in that position.  But it has changed him.  I don't think it's healthy to be rubbing shoulders with people, having them over for dinner...we've recently seen how that blinds him and limits his ability to hold the feet of the powerful over the fire, if they are powerful who dine at his table.  He's not the same, nor should he be, but the band suffers for it. 

Bono making a push for real reforms in Africa after he truly educated himself into expertise was one thing. Bono bloviating in front of Congress about Amy Schumer's humor defeating ISIS just because he's a star is a giant embarassment.  He was effective when he went for a very specific and targeted activism, and now he's becoming one of those people who thinks that they should run their mouth about everything on television just because they are famous.  He once had an exquisite self-awareness about the "currency of celebrity" and how he is percieved, and it's like he's just thrown that Bono into the trash. 
On the other hand, his realization that he was heading that way in 1989 produced one of the most beautiful miracles in rock history, so there's that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:50:11 PM by This Dave »

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »

to answer Bono's question from 1991, it all went wrong for the band when he got involved with jubilee 2000, and it's been wrong ever since. U2 are as good as Bono is committed to the band, and he hasn't been that committed.

You're kidding me, this chestnut again? It is so, so devoid of the facts it's not even funny anymore.

The other band members have lives outside the band. As do key tour personnel. Do you honestly think the other guys are are all standing around outside the studio waiting for Bono to turn up with the keys to let them all in? Bono is not the one keeping the band waiting. Get that out of your heads. It's all of them.

And FFS, it's only been 2 years since SoI.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:56:07 PM by The Edges Cat »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »

to answer Bono's question from 1991, it all went wrong for the band when he got involved with jubilee 2000, and it's been wrong ever since. U2 are as good as Bono is committed to the band, and he hasn't been that committed.

You're kidding me, this chestnut again? It is so, so devoid of the facts it's not even funny anymore.

The other band members have lives outside the band. As do key tour personnel. Do you honestly think the other guys are are all standing around outside the studio waiting for Bono to turn up with the keys to let them all in? Bono is not the one keeping the band waiting. Get that out of your heads. It's all of them.

Not so sure. It's been pretty well documented that starting with ATYCLB that Bono wasn't around the recording process near as much as he was before. In interviews the band talked about how they had to get used to writing an recording during that period as a 3 piece with Bono showing up at different intervals. I think it's fair to say that if the best songwriter in the band is not there as much as the others that the songwriting process will be a lot different then it was when they were younger and in my opinion it has suffered.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Refugee
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2016, 11:43:50 AM »
Agreed that it's still pretty quick but what worries me is that they may be overthinking it and changing things again. The album was "80% ready" a pretty long time ago. I was hoping for something fresh and a bit provocative. Taking  longer to finish the album usually means tweaking songs to sound more radio friendly. That's all.

I would say you are probably right, sadly.

But that is the band they have become and sadly we can't change it....i hold onto hope that they will change but i doubt it...in the meantime check out the masses of great new stuff out there that frankly makes a new u2 album pretty irrelevant and just a bonus should it arrive....2016 has been a brilliant year for new music.
Yes, true. U2 should wake up to this fact and not try to make everything so grand. An Tha can you give us 5 tips for new music?

Try these:

SubRosa - For this we thought the battle of ages
Savages - Adore Life
Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exits
Anohni- Hopelessness
Swans - The Glowing Man
The Kills - Ash and Ice
Garbage - Strange Little Birds
PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
Hinds - Leave Me Alone
The Jezabels - Synthia
Thanks, will do

Hopefully be something there you like...by way SuhRosa album is 'for this we fought the battle of ages' not 'thought'!...
Love this stuff thank you. Right now The Jezabels is my favourite but as we all now great music needs some time so let's see how it progresses. 3-5 or so years ago years ago I found Band of Horses, Editors, The National, Bat for Lashes, Gillian Welch, M83, London Grammar, The XX, TV on the radio, I am Kloot, Yeah yeah yeahs, Hot Chip, Gossip...but I needed a new fix and what better way to ask fellow u2:ers!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:50:08 AM by Neil Young, man! »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2016, 11:49:33 AM »
Agreed that it's still pretty quick but what worries me is that they may be overthinking it and changing things again. The album was "80% ready" a pretty long time ago. I was hoping for something fresh and a bit provocative. Taking  longer to finish the album usually means tweaking songs to sound more radio friendly. That's all.

But that is the band they have become and sadly we can't change it....i hold onto hope that they will change but i doubt it...in the meantime check out the masses of great new stuff out there that frankly makes a new u2 album pretty irrelevant and just a bonus should it arrive....2016 has been a brilliant year for new music.
Yes, true. U2 should wake up to this fact and not try to make everything so grand. An Tha can you give us 5 tips for new music?

Try these:

Savages - Adore Life
Anohni- Hopelessness
Swans - The Glowing Man
The Kills - Ash and Ice
Hinds - Leave Me Alone
The Jezabels - Synthia
Thanks, will do

Hopefully be something there you like...by way SuhRosa album is 'for this we fought the battle of ages' not 'thought'!...
Love this stuff thank you. Right now The Jezabels is my favourite but as we all now great music needs some time so let's see how it progresses. Love getting tips, a couple of years ago years ago I found Band of Horses, Editors, The National, Bat for Lashes, Gillian Welch, M83, London Grammar, The XX, TV on the radio, I am Kloot, Yeah yeah yeahs, Hot Chip, Gossip...but I needed a new fix and what better way to ask fellow u2:ers!

It's one of the best things about here...sharing and discovering new music.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »

Not so sure. It's been pretty well documented that starting with ATYCLB that Bono wasn't around the recording process near as much as he was before. In interviews the band talked about how they had to get used to writing an recording during that period as a 3 piece with Bono showing up at different intervals. I think it's fair to say that if the best songwriter in the band is not there as much as the others that the songwriting process will be a lot different then it was when they were younger and in my opinion it has suffered.

That was 16 years ago though, So Cruel. Larry's on record saying the positives outweight the negatives, what Bono brought back to the studio far outweighed his absence.

It was only ever an issue back then (and moreso because Larry was antsy to try acting). The last decade? No issue. The NLOTH recording in Fez broke up because all the members had obligations back home and elsewhere. Like Adam said once, he looks forward to going to bed at a reasonable hour so he can get more stuff done during the day. Not exactly rock'n'roll stay up all night and record AB.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:16:10 PM by The Edges Cat »

Offline ecadad

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »

That was 16 years ago though, So Cruel. Larry's on record saying the positives outweight the negatives, what Bono brought back to the studio far outweighed his absence.

It was only ever an issue back then (and moreso because Larry was antsy to try acting). The last decade? No issue. The NLOTH recording in Fez broke up because all the members had obligations back home and elsewhere. Like Adam said once, he looks forward to going to bed at a reasonable hour so he can get more stuff done during the day. Not exactly rock'n'roll stay up all night and record AB.

Bono's the best lyricist in U2, yes, but best songwriter? I really don't think so. Bono writes lyrics, but Edge writes much of the music, and from what I can tell, he always has. Many of their songs have come from those studio jams that turn into songs, which obviously can't happen without Bono with the group in the studio, but Edge has always been one of the leading songwriters.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2016, 10:51:53 PM »

Bono's the best lyricist in U2, yes, but best songwriter? I really don't think so. Bono writes lyrics, but Edge writes much of the music, and from what I can tell, he always has. Many of their songs have come from those studio jams that turn into songs, which obviously can't happen without Bono with the group in the studio, but Edge has always been one of the leading songwriters.

Bono doesn't just write the lyrics, he will take a piece of Edge's music and build a melody and song around it. Take One for example. Edge had the riff from the bridge of Mysterious Ways. Bono takes that piece of music and builds a song out of it. Humming the melody and building it. Lyrics are added last. Bono is much, much more than just a lyricist.

Waffles

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2016, 11:39:07 PM »

Try these:

Savages - Adore Life
Anohni- Hopelessness
Swans - The Glowing Man
The Kills - Ash and Ice
Hinds - Leave Me Alone
The Jezabels - Synthia
Thanks, will do

Love this stuff thank you. Right now The Jezabels is my favourite but as we all now great music needs some time so let's see how it progresses. Love getting tips, a couple of years ago years ago I found Band of Horses, Editors, The National, Bat for Lashes, Gillian Welch, M83, London Grammar, The XX, TV on the radio, I am Kloot, Yeah yeah yeahs, Hot Chip, Gossip...but I needed a new fix and what better way to ask fellow u2:ers!

It's one of the best things about here...sharing and discovering new music.

Jezabels are awesome. They aren't known here in the US, so when they did in gig in LA, I was fortunate to see them front row with waiting only 30 minutes in line. 

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2016, 02:50:32 AM »
Look on the bright side, we now have a date for when to expect news of the next delay! Someone make a countdown clock!

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2016, 08:10:22 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Smithy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
Edge is actually the primary reason this has been delayed. His perfectionist nature is almost counter-productive for the band at this stage. Take 2 recent quotes, Bono on Charlie Rose - "Only God and The Edge know when", and Adam in another interview - "Youd have to ask The Edge". Writings on the wall.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 12:00:34 PM by Smithy »