Author Topic: "Stolen days you don't give back"  (Read 2156 times)

Waffles

Re: "Stolen days you don't give back"
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 09:33:50 PM »
Its the ill go crazy of this album. Everyone hates it, but its my favorite. I always heard that line as "stormy days you dont get back"

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 05:47:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Its the ill go crazy of this album. Everyone hates it, but its my favorite. I always heard that line as "stormy days you dont get back"

I thought SFS was the IGCT of the album? It seems like most hate SFS. (but it's one of my favorites)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 06:12:44 PM »

I thought SFS was the IGCT of the album? It seems like most hate SFS. (but it's one of my favorites)

I can listen to SFS and IGCT - I am a sucker for the sappy ones  :) 

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 04:19:33 AM »

And, I'm a sucker for people who like the sappy songs! SFS is a wonderful song...made me cry when I saw it live.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »

And, I'm a sucker for people who like the sappy songs! SFS is a wonderful song...made me cry when I saw it live.

Gets me emotional just about every time I listen to it because I can relate to it. Probably not popular to admit this, but I really hope they play it live on the next tour.

I like IGCT, fun little tune.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »

Gets me emotional just about every time I listen to it because I can relate to it. Probably not popular to admit this, but I really hope they play it live on the next tour.

I like IGCT, fun little tune.

Nice to see some other U2 fans who like these gentle and soppy songs too :)  I didn't like the live version of IGCT on 360 but I guess it gave the show something different.  SFS was nice enough on the SOI tour - the lyric is something we can all relate to, I think.  They may play it again on the next tour but realistically I think it'll be dropped for a new song.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 05:55:30 PM »
^ If I remember correctly, they changed up IGCT on the tour because they had played it so many times in the studio (trying to achieve perfection for the producer) that they were sick to death of the original arrangement. I thought the live version was OK, but preferred the original.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 06:38:12 PM »
^ If I remember correctly, they changed up IGCT on the tour because they had played it so many times in the studio (trying to achieve perfection for the producer) that they were sick to death of the original arrangement. I thought the live version was OK, but preferred the original.

I never knew that about the recording studio.  The final product does sound over-produced if I am being honest - Bono's vocal sounds almost robotic.  They did a live version which was true to the album version on Letterman if you saw it? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 08:02:06 PM »
^ I can't remember where I read that (had to have been an interview around the time the album came out), but I am positive it was that song since it's the only one they changed live.

Yeah, I think they did it like that on Letterman because it was their single at the time and doing the tour version would've been too jarring. Sounds good, though.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »
When I hear "California", I think of a stubborn affirmation of freedom, even in the face of grief.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 02:12:39 AM »
It often feels like every day has a specific purpose, a set of goals that you have to complete by the end of that day. Every now and then, one of them falls off the schedule and opens itself up to something new and unexpected and so much cooler than it would have been otherwise. You're stealing the day from what the life you've set up has said it should be. Fortunately, in the end no one's keeping tally of those days you steal, so you can enjoy yourself when they slip through the cracks.